• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tripods

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
I took delivery today of a new Tripod legs and a Tripod Head. I will also try to explain how I came to purchase a new setup as well.

I am embarrassed to admit just how many tripods I have purchased so far since I bought my DSLR, 3 of them.

Did I need 3, NO. Did I try and save a few bucks and purchase what I thought was satisfactory on the cheap, yes.

The first one I purchased was from Best Buy, a Sunpak (Dynex) 6200DX. I believe I paid in the 60 dollar neighborhood. I used it for a little bit, and even took it on a trip over seas. It is light weight aluminum (which is easily bent) with a bunch of plastic that is now brittle and breaking. Not even a year old too.

Upon my return from the overseas trip, I knew I did not like that tripod at all, and it would have to be replaced. So after tens of thousands of threads on the internet, which was sensory overload who's net result told me nothing, I went shopping. I ended up back at Best Buy and purchased a considerably more expensive tripod, a Manfrotto 7301YB, for 140 bucks or so. (They are now selling a bit cheaper). This is a nice tripod, comes as a unit, head and legs packaged together. It is lightweight an compact and works well for what it is intended for. However as I am getting more nerdy in my photo taking I am realizing it too has some drawbacks. It is too light for long exposure work, and when I have my camera+lens, battery grip, and flash all mounted to it, I am afraid it will fall over unless squatted real low. Which hinders my photo ops. I will continue to use this tripod as my travel tripod, as it is perfect for strapping to the back of the bike and works well when shooting daylight stuff.

But, after all of that was still not satisfied. I wanted a tripod that was more sturdy and would support my bigger lenses (50-500mm Sigma). So I went back online and searched again in the too many to count Tripod Threads out there, but a little more educated this time. I ended up selecting these...

765534784_pPg9N-L.jpg

Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head - $120 through Amazon - Free Shipping.
Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod Legs $150 through Amazon - Free Shipping.

I know it may be pretentious to show what I paid, but I do have a point that I hope may help others. Had I saved my money and did more research I would not have already spend nearly 200 dollars on tripods that I am not satisfied with.

Now I am not saying that these are the end all be all Head & Legs combination, as there are literally hundreds if not thousands of choices out there. But I am so much more pleased with this set up than the other two that I have. This combination is HEAVY, tall, and very sturdy. I have no doubts that it will support my camera fully outfitted with even my biggest lens that I have to date, and will still be available as I grow my lens selection.

As with everything we do, the choice is yours to make. I was just wanted to share my experience thus far.

For comparison, here are my 3 tripods....

765535110_SzuDj-L.jpg

L-R, 055XB+498RC2, 7301YB, Dynex

Last edited:
Thanks for the report!

I've been quite pleased with the Bogen/Manfaratto product line. I'd agree too, that it takes experience to gather the right kit, or listening to others experiences and then move forward.

Thx!

Would ya'll please stop posting stuff about new accessories???!!!!! :-P

I haven't even purchased the camera yet and I'm already writing my wish lists and hoping my credit card doesn't implode. :giveup:

:lol: I know exactly what you mean.

I hope that as time goes on, that this thread helps others though. I know that I wish I would not have spent money 3 times to get 1 that will suffice.

Looking forward to seeing what your able to capture this weekend with your new d90.

Would ya'll please stop posting stuff about new accessories???!!!!! :-P

I haven't even purchased the camera yet and I'm already writing my wish lists and hoping my credit card doesn't implode. :giveup:

Uhhhh.... one more you MUST purchase while you are there. The ML-3 remote. It will allow you to setup the camera on the new tripod you're also going to purchase and remotely fire off the shutter instead of pushing the button and waiting/moving the camera. Perfect for those portrait, tripod and night/sky, slow shutterspeed shots. Don't worry - they're cheap. ;-)

Bogen, they are like the BMW of tripods! :rofl:

I like mine but don't use it much accept for self portraits or night shots which are few and far between now.

Uhhhh.... one more you MUST purchase while you are there. The ML-3 remote.

IIRC... that remote is infra-red in operation. It requires line-of-sight to operate. Save your money and check out Aputure PRO Co-worker RF remote for the D90. Shoots thru walls and supposedly works out to 150 feet.

REMOTE LINK

By saving money we're only talking about 31 bucks from Amazon(dot)com. In addition, you can buy cables to interface with other cameras rather than having to buy a whole new remote.

Bad news Duke...you aren't done. I am willing to bet that before long you will be looking for a sturdier ballhead and lighter/stronger tripod....much like you I went through a couple of tripods before settling on mine and a better ballhead.

When all was said and done I spent over $600 for the tripod/ball head combination that I am using now.

Gentlemen....take a lesson from Duke and I....save for a while and get the best tripod/ball head combination you can afford....otherwise you will be spending that money again and again. :zen::eek2::giveup:

Back