• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I bought my GPS too soon!!

Reaction score
I waited for years and finally bought the 276c, and now they go and build both XM radio and SATTELITE WEATHER RADAR!! into the darned thing. :dude:

Ahh well I wouldn't pay 2k+ for it anyway I guess.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87343

But boy is that just the coolest techno gadget or what. If it gets down close to a 276 price in a couple of years I think I'll grab one.

Weren't we just talking about how nice it would be to have a built in weather radar and the GPS?

Doesn't matter it is effective priced out of my range. :-(

Yeah out of my range too, but it'll get cheaper, just matter of how soon and how much cheaper. Hopefully my 267 will last that long.

Would you use the weather radar to avoid or find the rain?

Sometimes I like riding in the rain.

That is an awesome piece of gear, I want one.
How long before they are 600 bucks or so ???

What's really interesting is the new Quest 2 and the 2720. They both have the full City Navigator mapsets loaded into them and they use memory, not hard drives in them so they will work on bikes. Wonder if the next version of the 276 will come with the maps fully loaded? I'd sell my 2610 to get one of those in a heart beat if they do. I figure since it's more of a marine GPS though they might not do it.

Texas T said:
I'm pretty sure that it does NOT include XM radio; just the XM satellite radar imagery.

From the Garmin site:

The GPSMAP 396 is also capable of receiving XM Satellite Radio’s 130-plus channels of music, sports, news, talk, and entertainment programming through a subscription.

From the Garmin GPSMAP 396 website.

The GPSMAP 396 is also capable of receiving XM Satellite Radio’s 130-plus channels of music, sports, news, talk, and entertainment programming through a subscription

I would like one with Sirius built-in please :-D
One less thing to wire up.

Edit - Oops....beat me to it.

Check out the new Garmin 376C (August release).
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap376c/

It has all the bells and whistles you would likely want at the estimated $1,000 price point. The XM service needed is much cheaper also.

Dyna-Sport and Dower, I can hear the change jingling in your pockets. ;-)

The 396C is an aviation version. Anything aviation has a huge insurance premium (liability) built into the price.

Geez... for that much I would want to be extra sure it would be covered on my insurance if anything were to happen to the bike... But man that would be cool!!

$999 is a lot better than $2600, I don't think I'd like having to pay monthly for weather and radio though unless it was real cheap.

For that price it may fall to 600 or so in a year.

Dyna Sport said:
$999 is a lot better than $2600, I don't think I'd like having to pay monthly for weather and radio though unless it was real cheap.
Yeah, it's too bad they can't charge on a "per use" or "per day" basis for services such as that.

kocook said:
Check out the new Garmin 376C (August release).
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap376c/

It has all the bells and whistles you would likely want at the estimated $1,000 price point. The XM service needed is much cheaper also.

Oh, DING, that's the one for me... Now, to save... will probably buy from here, had a good experience buying from them before (click the Buy icon to see their price; nice).

[waynesworld]
Some day, it will be mine. Oh, yes...
[/waynesworld]

:chug:

The satellite radio runs $12.95 a month (for Sirius, XM may be $1.00 cheaper), a "per use" couldn't be much cheaper than that and could add up to be much more for a month than the monthly fee would be. Just like cell phones have become, I would rather pay an extra $5.00 a month for a bunch of minutes that will rollover than be nailed with a nasty overage charge. That way I know how much it is going to be month to month.

I have also found that I do not listen to the "stuff" that is called radio anymore since I have gone to satellite.

bluedogok said:
The satellite radio runs $12.95 a month (for Sirius, XM may be $1.00 cheaper), a "per use" couldn't be much cheaper than that and could add up to be much more for a month than the monthly fee would be.
I didn't make myself clear. I'd want a per use on the WX part as it's $100 for the setup and $100 per month after that. While that sort of data would be great to have on a trip to Marble Falls I don't need it Mon-Fri if I'm just commuting in town.

And just FYI for everyone, even at those prices they still don't throw in the radio subscription for free; it's another $7 a month if you're already subscribing to the WX.
:-D

I didn't realize the weather component was that expensive :eek:

I figured it would be a small additional fee but that is just absurd. I thought the aviation package would be more, but it is actually less, $30.00 or $50.00 a month with a $75.00 setup depending upon the package and $30.00 or $50.00 for the marine package. Even at those prices it is stupid expensive. I really wonder how many they will sell.

:tab I predict there will be no shortage of people lining up to buy them, even at stupid prices... Americans have a long and proud history of not letting stupid pricing get in the way of our desires ;-) :lol:

Back