• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yoshimura Exhaust

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Yoshimura RS - 3 slip-on exhaust. The instructions say to watch the exhaust for color as it may be running too lean, and might need to be adjusted. Those out there using this exhaust -- do you have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

You need to put some specifics as to exactly make year, year model, any other modifications you know of....IE intake, etc.
The coloring is just an indication as to a leaning mixture.

Did you get the full system or just the cans?

You will most likely need to remap for the new system. There may be some tricks that the bandit owners have, but when I put it on the TL, I needed to get a new map for it to work well.

Maverick

go ahead and spend the money - and this from a cheap guy. You won't regret it.

what cans are you running with it?

I would recommend dyno and remap, it will make a world of difference. Otherwise, you've spent some a good bit of money on something that doesn't look all that different than what you had, will give little or no performance boost and will turn all shades of colors. might look good on acid but not when riding. besides, the 3 foot flame out of the tail on a hard decel might just be a tad much.

Maverick

I have a Yosh carbon fiber can on my 08 Bandit with no other mods, and it is just fine. I've had it on for two years now, and yes, the color has a tendency to change a bit, but that will happen with the stock can as well. The Bandit comes from the factory running very lean and that will cause a slight discoloration, but it has absolutely nothing to do with changing the end can; especially on a bike that has a catalytic converter.
Ideally one should put a TFI box on it to enrich the mixture a bit, but it is by no means necessary.
Enjoy the sound of your new exhaust and don't worry about it. Many MANY people on this forum have done the same with no problems whatsoever.

hey mate, my 07 bandit has got a rs3 yoshi can on her, looks & sounds great, it poped a littel when backin off the gas so i put a emissions (pair) removal kit in it, about $30us from TPO on ebay, a smoothed it out better then stock. cleans up the top of engine bay to.

Isn't the 1250 Bandit a closed loop FI system? Has an O2 sensor? If so, it should adjust for the pipe fine. It should be no more lean than it was before the pipe. May be slightly lean as some systems won't allow it to adjust rich enough to make up the difference of the added flow. But, it will add more fuel than it did before. I seriously doubt it would make enough difference for you to notice (pipe color or how it runs). Now, that is not to say that their is not more gains to be had with a remap of the fuel system via something like a Power Commander III or IV (uses an O2 sensor to actively adjust to a preset fuel mixture), or a TFI box. But, with the closed loop system, you would be fine to run withouth any other adjusments. Decel pop is due to the pair system and has nothing to do with running too lean.

Contray to what I expected.......

my bike ran MUCH better after replacing the factory muffler with a low restrictive can, intake w/K&N, and TFI mapping
AFTER
I put my (slightly modified) DB killer back into the end of my MIVV X-Cone.

The system likes a little back pressure unless fully dialing things in. Right now I'm dealing with popping on decel' with my complete system sans CAT'.... I'm not tripping, but I'll be contacting Dale Walker and asking what he suggests, and taking my system apart and installing it again with more copper sealant to address any cold air being sucked into my system......

Contray to what I expected.......

my bike ran MUCH better after replacing the factory muffler with a low restrictive can, intake w/K&N, and TFI mapping
AFTER
I put my (slightly modified) DB killer back into the end of my MIVV X-Cone.

The system likes a little back pressure unless fully dialing things in. Right now I'm dealing with popping on decel' with my complete system sans CAT'.... I'm not tripping, but I'll be contacting Dale Walker and asking what he suggests, and taking my system apart and installing it again with more copper sealant to address any cold air being sucked into my system......

I had the same popping after installing my yoshi & more again with the K&N, air box lid cut out. pair (emissions) removal kit from TPO fixed it for only$25usd. looks better to. takes about 3-4hours to do if your got big hands like me. the FI light stays on if u remove the soleniod, I tied it up out the way.

I've been having a tri oval yosh can on my bike for about the last 10 or so thousand miles. Not sure the model number as I got it off e-bay for about 150 shipped. After putting it on , it did do some fine popping back there and I lost a little bottom end torque. So, I built my own DB killer with some 1.25" washers and some fence piping. Knock down about 90% of the popping and return my low end torque. I don't run my bike hard enough 99.9% of the time to exceed 6000 rpm so really don't need top end power added. Also quieten the sound down lots. I had put the Yosh can on just for looks rather than performance as that stock muffler is one big unit. I think the only muffler I've seen bigger is on the Warrior Yamaha.

It'll be fine. If you want the bike to run a bit better then start looking into Power commanders/TFI box and dyno tune. I have had my Yoshi Titanium pipe on since my bike was about 2000km's old, added a PC3, BMC filter and dyno and it goes pretty well.

Losing the stockpipe probably saves you a good 5Kg at least.

If I had more will power and would lose about 40 pounds of unnecessary fat I carry about, my bike would love me so much. 240 lbs on 540 lbs of motorcycle. ha ha ha ha ha. There is no way I would ever get back to what I was weighting in my avati pic at 165 LBS and riding a 400 pound '69 Norton Commando.

After installing RS-3 Yoshimura slip on,I'm getting alot of poping on deceleration. As I have read on this forum a DB killer might help. Anyone have one for sale?

After installing RS-3 Yoshimura slip on,I'm getting alot of poping on deceleration. As I have read on this forum a DB killer might help. Anyone have one for sale?

Dale Walker sells one for his muffler and there are direction how above (nudge, nudge for a step by step how-too).
http://www.holeshot.com/accessories/db_killer.html

Just wanted to say that you might not have noticed it but the stock can does the decel popping also. It's so big and quite of a can that it quietens it down.

Back