• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

PP Workflow

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
I'm getting antsy about the upcoming seminar STScott will have re: workflow, and today might have been "the light" moment. I'm out shooting in both .jpg fine and RAW and it's been nagging on me why I even do the .jpg files - and LARGE ones at that. I mean they run about 4-5MB each and I've been using Windows viewer to sort/cull. Even when I pull the keepers in to LR, I still hang on to the .jpg file.

But I'm asking myself "Why"?

If I shot just RAW, I pull the entire dump folder into LR and cull from there freeing up all the .jpg image space. I haven't found it yet, and I'm quite sure LR has a mass export function so the ones I want to push up to smugmug I can do in one batch, right?

Someone please nudge me in the right direction again. Sort of when I was nudged to start shooting RAW over .jpg only.

I use that guy's plug in to export to Photobucket. Nice tool. Resizes at the same time so you don't have to do that in a separate step.

That's the way I do it, except I use Aperture. Raw only, cull the dogs, adjust in Aperture and PP, export out of Aperture to .jpeg for photobucket.

Does LR have the capability to create a copyright mark that gets applied to each picture on the export as a .jpg?

Do you mean adding copyright info to the EXIF data or adding a watermark graphic to the image? I believe it can do both, but I just wanted to know which you were talking about.

In the Export diaglog box (LR3 beta), just below the Metadata section, is the watermark. You can have it include a watermark image. Once you set that up, you can save it as a preset. Also, I make sure I uncheck the Minimize embedded metadata so that it has full exif data.

As far as adding the EXIF copyright info, that is in the Library module, Metadata section of the right panel. Under IPTC. You can add the info you want and save it as a preset, then apply the preset to any group of images you want.

What I've been doing is making a quick collection of pictures I want to export then I can apply things like that as a group and then export as a group. Like those 5 cloud shots I did for the critique.

Maybe we should meet someday with our laptops and compare methods and tricks we have figured out.

Last edited:
Both is better.

I've finally hit the point where I've got some nice (in my opinion) shots out there and would hate to see them ripped. Any protections are better than nothing.

For the time being my smugmug galleries are disabled from right-click-save-as. But one can still get a link, display it somewhere and grab it from there. I'm just looking at ways to lock them down better.

Hey, I was editing that post while you were answering so check out the extra I added.

Back