• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help! Bad CF card.

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tamez
I've never had a bad CF card.....until now.

I bought a 4GB Kingston CF card at Fry's. I format it in the 40D like I usually do.
I shoot about 20 jpg images on it for a Charity auction last night and then it just freezes up. The last image taken wouldn't finish writing. I shut every thing down, extract the card, insert another and continue on.

I reinsert card after event and I get a warning - can't create folder.
I insert it into a reader on my desktop and it says no images on card.

Anyone locally, DFW, have any ideas on getting images from card to my desktop?

It wasn't a pay gig but still, I had some decent images on there for the charity to use for marketing and publication purposes.

Acutally thats a common problem. There are a few programs that can help you. Image rescue 3 is one I have from lexar. Be carefull of any free one off internet free is often virus. I used image rescue to save realitives vacaton pics. They had a few hundred and it saved almost all of them. I live on east side of dfw but work takes me all over if you want to try and save them let me know. IR3 was only about 30 dollars have not checked lately.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try those.

I have receipt and will take card back but was hoping to get the images before that.

Hey Roy, I downloaded and used the ZAR recovery software. It found the 21 jpgs on the card and copied to my photo folder on C drive. I attempted to open them and a windows message pops up saying it can't open .zar extensions.

Any ideas?

Hey Roy, I downloaded and used the ZAR recovery software. It found the 21 jpgs on the card and copied to my photo folder on C drive. I attempted to open them and a windows message pops up saying it can't open .zar extensions.

Any ideas?

sorry, no idea other than what has been posted. It has been a while since I used the program.

Looking at the pictures I would have done the same thing.

Did you get this resolved?
I gots some stuff at the office that can prolly get them for you..:trust:

Did you get this resolved?
I gots some stuff at the office that can prolly get them for you..:trust:

If I don't get it fixed tomorrow, I'll come see you on Thurs. I got an interview Thurs. at TCCC Trinity Campus.

Cool!
Good luck on the interview, what time?
If it's around lunchtime, I'll treat.
I had 2 trials going this week, one got poured out and the other should wrap tomorrow!

Well, once I followed directions, I was able to retrieve all the jpgs on the card.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Mark, my interview is at 11a. I'm guessing an hour? I'll swing by your office when I'm done to see if you're in.

I also have to go by the elections office. I filed a change of address for a new card but never received it. I'm hoping I can vote in the primary but we'll see....

Durrr, I just got the reminder call from our tax person that our appointment is Thursday after lunch. :doh:
Hence, I will not be there..

I just Sharkeyed Sharkey!

I think the world is gonna 'splode or sumpin now...

Anyway, keep me posted and another well wish that the interview goes well.
Maybe we might get the opportunity to do the lunch thing regular like since the campus is right across the street from my building. :eat:

This brings something to mind....

Cards can be DOA or go bad quickly. Generally, if they are going to fail they are going to fail early in their life.

So, with a new card:

Format it.
Take 20 or 30 quick pics.
Upload to computer.
Format Card.
Take 20 or 30 quick pics.
Upload to computer.

Repeat until you've snapped 100+ pics & formatted the card 5 times or so.

Back