• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

canon T1i or nikon 5000 ??

Reaction score
Ok i have narrowed this down to Canon T1i or nikon 5000. Yes iknow both are probably over kill for first dslr but I like and will use the HD Video. Should you just buy the body and piece your lenses. The kits seem to be a pretty good deal but you get the lenses they want to put in. The 18-55 an 55-250 2 lense kit seem ok since part of what i want is the zoom. costco had the t1i kit for 850 but rebate is gone so its 950 cant seem to find it much cheeper nikon kit about 900.

I think I saw the Canon at a good price on Amazon recently. Having bought the T1i and the two lens package, I'd suggest just getting the 18-55mm lens and shop for a longer lens. Both are good values, but I'm already ready to upgrade them a couple of months later. Just wish I had the money to.

FYI, Canon just announced a T2i. Many of the same features, but faster frame rate on 1080p video and 720p. Maybe a little faster focusing and ISO improvements. I don't remember all of it, but it does mean the t1i will be cheaper and harder to find soon.

Pop Photo Magazine rates the T1i as the best in class, if that helps any.

Last edited:
I would be scared of the T1i, if you plug it into the internet it could activate skynet and start to take over the world. Just think only 799 more upgrades and you will have the T800 that is a hunter/killer

Ok sorry its a real slow day at work today..

btw I am a Nikon guy..

Or you could simply spend a few $ more and get a D90. :rofl:

Something to consider on the video features in this price space - They are first-gen and there's quite a few nicer dedicated video recorders out there in small packages. I haven't used the video function on my D90 and don't intend to.

Yet for anyone looking at camera comparisons, here's a really nice site that allows you to compare. Just pick your models and presto, side-by-sides.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

Back