• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dumb dirt Q's and DFW area riding

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Some of you know of my recent road beatdown by an Accord resulting in both arms in casts, among other fun medical challenges. For a variety of reasons, I don't think I'll ever do any road riding as a result.

Here's my Q's. Humor me if you will.
1. Assuming "sane" off-road only riding style, e.g. no 8' flying crossups or whatever you call them, how much safer (if any) would you rate off-road riding and why?
2. What opportunities are there for casual offroad riding in the DFW area?
3. For a casual rider willing to trailer to starting point, what would be your recommended bike?
4. For a casual rider, what would be your recommended rider gear list?
5. Are the riding areas as crazy as the Dallas area lakes on holiday weekends--taking your life in your own hands?
6. What other secrets would you share with a noob like me?

THANKS in advance.

1. Assuming "sane" off-road only riding style, e.g. no 8' flying crossups or whatever you call them, how much safer (if any) would you rate off-road riding and why?

As described off road riding is considerable safer in my opinion. I view this because there are no larger vehicles at intersections. Speeds are lower than on the street, and when you fall off dirt generally hurts less than concrete. In rocks that is a wash, but again, speeds are lower.

Starting out there is Trophy Club. It is close, the trails are one way, so chance meetings head on on the trails is greatly reduced. The trails are rated in terms of difficulty, beginner, intermediate and expert. Pick your level of challenge and go. The expert trail is not all that difficult, a good street rider will be wanting to give it a go after a couple of rides.

After that there are thousand of acres at Red River.

3. For a casual rider willing to trailer to starting point, what would be your recommended bike?

This I cannot slim down to one bike. There are several that fit depending on how heavy you want to go, electric start or kick.. power expectations. As a starting point a modern 250 trail bike such as a CRF-X or a WR would be a good start. XRs are great platforms in 250 or 400 versions if kick starting is acceptable. Two strokes are mostly out for beginners with noteworthy exceptions. The KDX 200 or 220 or the KTM 300 make wonderful trail bikes. Tame enough to learn on and fast enough that you will not outgrow them. A DRZ400 would work, given that you are not new to riding, it is usually a bit much for beginners in terms of power. One is for sale on TWT, I have no stake in it, just mentioning it.

Off road boots are a number one must have. Off road helmet and goggles helps cut dust if you are following, but for comfort I ride in my street helmet. Especially when it is cold weather. Elbow and knee pads are highly recommended.

5. Are the riding areas as crazy as the Dallas area lakes on holiday weekends--taking your life in your own hands?

Generally no. There are exceptional people out there on both ends of the spectrum of sanity, but most folks at the areas ride as if they want to live to ride again.

Ride with a friend when you go, especially at first. You will have questions in the darndest places in the trails so having support there is important. Let me know, and I will ride with you.
:rider:

Dang.. I'll have to read this after work sometime. Darn meetings and lack of internet.....

I'm pretty much with Ed on this except that I'd change that KTM XC 300 to a KTM XC 200. The 300 is a beast and can be a bit overwhelming....the 200, however, is a fantastically versatile little 2-stroke.

I'll second what's said above. Including the 200. For the riding in the Dallas area, you will find some twisty stuff and the 200 is an excellent tool for that. The 300 does well in that stuff with an experienced rider and loves the wide open stuff, but that 200 will put a grin on your face as you wind around tree after tree after tree.

On the crashing part....just remember, you WILL crash more on the dirt than on the street. On an individual crash you will be less likely to hurt yourself as bad as on the streets for the aforementioned reasons. I will tell you though, trees are deceptively fast and will jump in front of you. As with most crashes, it's how you crash and end up falling that really is the factor though. I think I hurt myself worse on some of my dirt crashes than my 80mph crash in I-30. But I got lucky on my road crash for sure. But know, that you can fall in a way to easily break an arm while playing on the dirt, in fact it's quite possible.

I surely don't want to dissuade you from the dirt, because it's very fun....and I need to get more time in than I have been, but just know, there's inherent danger regardless. I will say though, that pretty much 99.9% of your crashes on the dirt will be your own stupid fault, and not some idiot on a cell phone.

With your ridding style I think you would be fine with a TTR or some kind of duel sport. I just can not see you running like a bat out of **** over jumps and stuff like that and nothing more then a 200 will do what you want it to.

I went the way of the quad just for the reason I do not like to fall off the thing.(shut up Bill) it hurts. and they are a little more stable in sand, mud and whatever. I did the whole " let's see how far we can jump the yz125" back when I was a kid. now I am older the quad pace fits me. If I want to go fast I can go fast, if I want to go slow I can go slow.

If and when I get mine back on the dirt running if you want you can take it out and try it out. Or I might have my 2nd one by then and we can go out together.

Look at the Yamaha TW200 as a trail bike. It's easy to ride, has a big fattie back tire for good traction, and should you decide to venture back out onto the street, it is street legal.

Agree with Ed on all points - but with the caveat that EVERY riding injury I've sustained, from laugh-it-off to please-God-let-me-die, was off-road riding at various levels of sanity (and stupidity - but you're wiser than that, right?)

STrider is right. Shoot, knocking the wind out of yourself is pretty low on the permanent injury list, but after taking a handlebar to the gut, I laid there enjoying the sunlight and thinking that this meadow was a really nice place to die. :mrgreen:

Agree with Ed on all points - but with the caveat that EVERY riding injury I've sustained, from laugh-it-off to please-God-let-me-die, was off-road riding at various levels of sanity (and stupidity - but you're wiser than that, right?)

I am the poster child for wisdom. :-P

Thanks for all the insights and offers. :ponder:

FWIW - I was off-road riding with a buddy who was better than me, faster than me, and arguably saner than me and he took a spill doing nothing out of the ordinary that put him in the hospital for days, and off the bike for more than 6 months.

Moral: While off-road may be safer in some respects, just like your Accord beatdown, sometimes you don't hafta do anything wrong to get bit bad.

hmmmm, well, um, <kicks dirt with good toe> thanks for sharing the unvarnished truth.

(Seriously, thanks--something to think about.)

Of course, you could get hurt staying at home too....so get out and ride in one form or another...when you are all healed up of course. :mrgreen:

just my 2 cents, as a casual rider:

Here's my Q's. Humor me if you will.

after a learning curve, I think you can fun as a casual rider, but you may want to test your limits, but if you crash and burn its more likely your fault, or the tree that jumped out and hit you (they do that)

in Waco, Crooked Creek, 500 acres, maybe 30 miles of trails, $10 bucks

any bike your comfortable with, not sure about a KTM, but I have a follow up question on the 2 stroke XCWs on this post:

I have read the 200 and 250 are more race oriented and have a bigger power hit and will spin the back wheel, where as the 300 will lug and traction and be just as good if not better for noobs, also the 2 strokes have no engine brake and the KTM has a touchy front brake

helmet, boots, knee/shin guards, plastic chest guard (you dont want bruised ribs from a handle bar), gloves, water

I don't like riding around a bunch of others, but as a group off road riders are very helpful, and respectful to us noobs; one way trails are nice, if needed find a spot to pull over and let the better rider go past; 2 way trails are scary

its a bunch of fun

Tracker, heal up quick

THANKS in advance.

Yay, I finally get around to reading your thread! For the most part Ed gave some pretty darn good advice. I'll just give my couple of things too, and maybe it will help, maybe it won't.

Very much safer, and not safer at all. Like everyone else said, it just depends. I've crashed head first into a tree and was on crutches for weeks with an ankle that was the size of a grapefruit. But generally it does happen a lot less frequently, but not always.

If you want to keep it on the up and up then your choices are kinda limited. You've got Trophy Club which I highly recommend for a first timer. Rocky Ridge, Red River, and a few others. If you open yourself up to MX tracks you will have some more options, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

If you can find a KDX200/220, those are some sweet trail bikes as well. But you can't go wrong with an XR250 or 400 either. Stay away from the high-strung 4 strokes though. They can be a handful when you are first learning.

For me MX boots area must. I wear normal Dickies pants because they are cheaper and I've yet to see them fail in a dirt crash. Elbow/knee guards are a really good idea. And eye protection of some sort is also IMO a must.

Any of the normal hot spots will be busy. Trophy Club get my nod because of the marked trails. There's nothing worse while learning then having a group of quads meet you at the top of a hill and scare the poo out of you.

When in doubt, go WFO. Trust me, it works. Oh yeah, and keep your feet on the pegs. If you put out the outriggers, you've already lost the balance battle.

Something I don't think has been mentioned in choosing a bike so far. You didn't say how tall you were or more important your inseam :trust: but if you're starting riding dirt from scratch (like I was at 59 a couple of years ago) seat height can be a challenge. Yes, you can adjust to a tall bike and yes, after a while it will be less of an issue, but starting off to gain confidence, my opinion is that you would be a lot more comfortable on a bike that you can at least get your toes down with. It's frustrating on the trail with all the other things to learn, to keep falling over because you're on an off camber section and you can't get a foot down.
Just something else to consider.

hmmm where is this place in Trophy Club you guys speak of?

my last dirt type bike was a Honda 305 scrambler back in the early 70's. about a month ago now I bought a 650 dakar but it is still in Ks. so when i do get it home i would love to have a place to play with it as I am sure it does not handle my my K1200GT. :-P

Gary, have you considered trials riding? I have not yet tried that discipline, but am always impressed with the bike control demonstrated by those that have.

Gary, have you considered trials riding? I have not yet tried that discipline, but am always impressed with the bike control demonstrated by those that have.

You and me both, Ed. Maybe someday I'll have a little extra toy cash and get a good deal on a Beta or GasGas.

Lots of good advice here, so I have have nothing really to add, other than to reiterate that offroad, danger really depends on you. If you have no desire for speed or to trying stupid things, then you'll be okay, other than the occasional low-speed dump. Yes, you will drop it... I used to say that if I didn't go down at least once on a ride, I wasn't having fun (I don't say that anymore :-P), and I usually went down because I was pushing limits... yet 9 out of 10 incidents involved dusting myself off and resuming my stupidity. I will also say that my worst injuries (some permanent) came from off road, but they were all my fault and could have been avoided, had I chosen not to put myself in those situations. In comparison, I've had some very serious near-misses while commuting that I had absolutely no control over; on the street, you are at the mercy of those around you.

In comparison, I've had some very serious near-misses while commuting that I had absolutely no control over; on the street, you are at the mercy of those around you.

Yes, but on the dirt you are at the mercy of all those psycho trees that jump out in front of you. And I don't care who says they don't move..... they do....:trust:

Gary,

Glad to see you're giving dirt riding a thought.

I picked up a new 2008 WR250R last year and really enjoy the electric start and fuel injection. This little bike will also cruise on the highway. I can get to the country quick without the need of a trailer. Still a few left over 2008's out there and now some good deals on the used market.

We have a TW200 in Plano if you want to give it a try once your back on your feet (or is that hands?). We may sell one of the TW's but haven't decided yet.

In regards to risks in the dirt heck anything can be risky but I bet it's a lot less than the street. This is especially true when it comes to being on the road during rush hour. I've considered riding the bike to work but just can't bring myself to it when I observe all those drivers not paying attention.

Back