• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

mechanics gloves

They probably won't work to well, but they work better than nothing. Nice motorcycle gloves are so cheap, you might as well get a real pair. Newenough.com has closeouts all the time on gloves and gear.

Lots of riders on here might even donate an old pair to a new rider.

i have a pair that someone gave to me in an xl. not sure what brand but they do have armor in them.. way to big for me.. if you want i can send them your way :)

I carry a pair in my tool kit. I can wear them to work on the bike when/if needed while on the road and they serve as a back up in the event something happens to my gloves since they're better than bare handed riding.

Like the time I lost one... :doh:

I've worn those things out just using them. I don't think they'd hold up well in a crash. Initial impact might be good but they won't drag very long. I've worn through leather gloves in a crash, I don't imagine those holding up anywhere near that well.

I like to carry a pair for working on messy parts of the bike, so I don't mess up the riding gloves much. (especially now that I have a nice pair from Lee Parks :rider:)

They do great against momentary heat contact, whacking knuckles on sharp/hard edges, but I definitely wouldn't want to trust them in a slide.

As a side note, my first pair of riding gloves were a pair of mesh tourmaster gloves for a grand total of ~$25-$30 gloves. Not a lot more than mechanic's gloves. Yeah, not the best fit, but very good construction, and they worked a lot better than I imagine mechanic's gloves would. No need to run out and spend big bucks on gear right off the bat. Wait until you are fully addicted and end up with 4 (so far) pairs of gloves.

Though an additional thought that the store where I bought my first pair told me was that most of the damage they see to gloves is on the palm, so that is where you want the sturdy material. All the ones with fancy armor over the knuckles are more for looks, and more often than not (at least of the ones I tried on) make the gloves uncomfortable.

some of the Mechanix Wear stuff looks pretty heavy duty...
http://www.mechanix.com/search/all-gloves

CUDB3123_400x500.jpg

but I've no personal experience with them.

I have short fingers, and most gloves at the bike stores fit poorly on my hands. I thought there would be a better selection of mech gloves, but I was wrong. Most hardware stores/wallymart/auto parts/etc store only carry L or larger, but I wear M or S. And those tend to have long fingers. I simply can't operate the levers/throttle with poorly fitted gloves.

I have short fingers, and most gloves at the bike stores fit poorly on my hands. I thought there would be a better selection of mech gloves, but I was wrong. Most hardware stores/wallymart/auto parts/etc store only carry L or larger, but I wear M or S. And those tend to have long fingers. I simply can't operate the levers/throttle with poorly fitted gloves.

Contact newenough.com and see if they can recommend a glove for your shorter fingers.

Though an additional thought that the store where I bought my first pair told me was that most of the damage they see to gloves is on the palm, so that is where you want the sturdy material. All the ones with fancy armor over the knuckles are more for looks, and more often than not (at least of the ones I tried on) make the gloves uncomfortable.

I have had two crashes and I can assure you the palms are important, but the knuckle armor is not useless by any means. (This was years ago) My only injury from a 90 mph wreck was from non-existant knuckle armor. It's an important part of gloves to me now that I had to spent 3 months learning to write left handed.

Try to find a vendor that sells Five Gloves or RS Taichi gloves. Both of those companies offer gloves that are much better fit than the traditional motorcycle glove. You will pay for them, but trust me, they are so worth it. I own a pair of each and they are my favorites by far.

:thumb:

Very true of my 29 years of riding and racing as well.. The palm is the more likely contact point. Skip a few 6 packs or a carton of cigarettes and you have the cash needed for a set of decent gloves, after that you can spend more for better fit and longevity.

When I crashed in Mexico near Guadalajara the "knuckle armor" on one of my gloves was ground down about half way.

No way are Mechanix Gloves going to give you any type of serious protection. Hands are among the first things to touch the ground in a crash. Hands are just not a part of the body that's going to KILL you, so they don't get the press that your skull does.

Gloves are one of the MOST important elements in ATGATT.

Think of Mechanix Gloves for the hands like plain jeans for the legs - any amount of sliding and the tear force will render them useless. Almost less than useless, since they provide for the illusion of protection.

When I crashed in Mexico near Guadalajara the "knuckle armor" on one of my gloves was ground down about half way.

I would have to agree. I've been tossed and had the back of my hands slap the pavement with some decent force behind it. Without some knuckle protection, I may have not fared so well from it.

Now there are extremes that I probably wouldn't wear, but those look like Ninja Turtle street fighting gloves.... that might be a little overkill IMO.:lol2:

I also have a problem with gloves fitting well as I also have short fingers. Gloves are the one thing I won't buy online because they rarely fit. I found the solution is to check out the women's motorcycle gloves in the stores :trust:
(I try to stay away from the pinks and lime greens....;-)).

I bought a pair of women's alpinestar gloves once on accident. The looked just like the men's and were mixed in at the store. They fit the best and I didn't realize they were women's till later that day.

I remember a guy going down wearing mechanix gloves back in St. Pete... A quick search on that forum and I found it:

DSCN0080.jpg

So yeah - don't go there. Like others have said, there are decent gloves available for not a whole lot of money. I'd stay away from the mesh type gloves. I've had a few pairs for the summer months, but compared to the mechanix gloves, they really aren't much better. I'd really look for a good leather glove.

I remember a guy going down wearing mechanix gloves back in St. Pete... A quick search on that forum and I found it:

So yeah - don't go there. Like others have said, there are decent gloves available for not a whole lot of money. I'd stay away from the mesh type gloves. I've had a few pairs for the summer months, but compared to the mechanix gloves, they really aren't much better. I'd really look for a good leather glove.

You proved your point!

Back