• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tree Rat

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Smith
I guess it is time I jumped into this.

web.jpg

I like it. :thumb:

I'm guessing you were at the maximum focal length of whatever lens you were using? Couple things point me to believe that including a bit soft of the focus, or a possible crop from a larger image or a bit of camera shake from a long lens/distance. Maybe the bark was the actual focal point on a wide open shallow DOF lens? He just seems a bit soft is all.....

Also, did you do any post processing? I'm seeing a bit more yellow/green on the underside of him. Maybe a bit of boost in saturations was overcooked? I like the Bokeh behind him.

But the way he's framed is great. Captures him on one side (1/3), spread top to bottom, all whiskers intact, tree has good contrast and doesn't pull from him. I like it.

The tree is sharper and better exposed than the squirrel.

What were your settings and focus point?

Squirrel!!

up_dug.jpg

Nice shot, comp. What they said. ^^^

Q: (not a criticism) If I was trying to follow the rule of thirds, I probably would have move him up so his eye was the upper left/top. I think it looks god the way it is--his to forelegs create a symmetry.
Did you try it cropped the other way? What was your thought process, composition-wise.

Thanks for the kind remarks as well as the kind critiques.
To answer some questions.
ISO 200
F/6.3
1/200sec
250mm
Nikon D40, Sigma 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3

I set the shot up like I shoot them with my flintlocks line the shot up for where there going to be not where they are. The little sucker was hiding, I waited him out to look around the tree. So I used the side of the tree to set the focus. I wanted the Squirrel in the shot but the texture of the bark on the tree is what I wanted to stand out.
I was at max for the lens, I also cropped as hard as I felt comfortable with. and probably got heavy handed with the processing.
Direct from camera

web.jpg

Q: (not a criticism) If I was trying to follow the rule of thirds, I probably would have move him up so his eye was the upper left/top. I think it looks god the way it is--his to forelegs create a symmetry.
Did you try it cropped the other way? What was your thought process, composition-wise.

I think this photo already follows the rule of thirds, just from left to right not top to bottom.

It looked to me as if you had focused on the bark primarily. That can happen when critters move around.

Barbecue the young ones, stew the old ones. I can't eat much fried food anymore.

could you show me? I'm not seeing it.

I would guess that (technically) the "center" of the main subject lies along a vertical third - the chest portion mainly. The real center (and focused) of most animal shots should be the eyeball IMHO.

I know generally the rule of thirds is a good guideline to stick with. I haven't figured out when it's good to break the rule. Same thing about golden ratios, 4:3 versus a square crop. But, for me anyways, it's fun learning what makes art, "art" and what makes an image versus a snapshot. :mrgreen:

I know generally the rule of thirds is a good guideline to stick with. I haven't figured out when it's good to break the rule. Same thing about golden ratios, 4:3 versus a square crop. But, for me anyways, it's fun learning what makes art, "art" and what makes an image versus a snapshot. :mrgreen:

Rule of thirds as Tracker noted is just a guideline. In most cases it improves the look/feel of an image thus making it "interesting" but it's certainly not an absolute for every image.

Ultimately, you must decide what you plan on doing with the image.

• Are you just going to lock it away with all the other pixels on your hard drive?
  • Are you planning to frame it and hang it next to Aunt Beatrix's photo?
  • Are you planning to sell it to a squirrel cult?
  • Do you plan to submit it to a local art gallery?
  • Etc, Etc.
My point is that everybody has their own idea on what is appealing so you need to decide how you plan to use the shot, crop accordingly and don't be afraid to try something different. With all that being said I would have cropped it as such. :sun:

Skippy.jpg

Back