• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New one from Yamaha/ Super Tenere [merged]

Tom

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Lowry
Anybody know anything about the XT1200Z?

4137.jpg

Re: New one from Yahama

Wow - just saw it today also. It will definitely be on my short list if it makes it stateside. Come on Yamaha!

Re: New one from Yamaha

Is it coming to the US? You know Yamaha is very suspicious about the Adventure market here since that whole TDM thing.

Maybe next year.

At 575 lbs, could be quite a handful in the dirt. :giveup:

Some specs:

* Type: Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, inline 2-cylinder, 4-valve, fuel injected, twin spark engine
* Displacement: 1199cc
* Bore x stroke: 98 x 79.5 mm
* Compression ratio: 11.0:1
* Firing intervals: 270- and 450-degree points
* Max. Power: 80.9kW (110PS) @7,250rpm
* Max. Torque: 114.1 Nm (11.6kgfm) @6000 r/min
* Lubrication system: Dry sump, oil tank in crankcase
* Fuel supply system: Fuel injection
* Ignition system: Twin spark
* Starter system: Electric
* Transmission system: Constant mesh, 6-speed
* Throttle system: Yamaha Chip-Controlled Throttle (YCC-T)
* Yamaha D-MODE: 2 modes, Sport (S) and Touring (T)
* Traction control: 3 modes, TCS1, TCS2 and OFF
* Exhaust System: 2-into-1
* Front suspension: Upside-down telescopic fork, 43 mm inner tube, adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping
* Front wheel travel: 190 mm
* Rear suspension: Monoshock, adjustable preload and rebound damping
* Rear wheel travel: 190 mm
* Front brake: Twin 310 mm wave discs, ABS/Unified Brake System
* Rear brake: Single 282 mm wave disc
* Front tyre: 110/80/19
* Rear tyre: 150/70/17
* Overall length: 2,250 mm
* Overall width: 980 mm
* Overall height: MIN1,410 mm / MAX1,440 mm
* Seat height: Adjustable 835-860 mm
* Wheelbase: 1,540 mm
* Min. ground clearance: 205 mm
* Wet weight: 261kg (includes full oil and fuel tank)
* Fuel capacity: 22 litres

Next year.... I hope so. This might be the ticket for my next big bike. Lighter and more gravel capable than my Feejer.

Hmmmm...:ponder:

Why would yamaha bring a bike like that here?
Do not get your hopes up!! Seems all the good adventure bikes stay on the other side of the pond, A few make it up north..
Mike

SWEET.

Yammy releasing the FZ8 too and I like that as well.

Yeah, I've been following this very closely over the last 6 months. I was all worked up, but IF it comes over here, and IF mother Yamaha is smart, then this bike will be priced high. My guess $16,000 to start. The thing is, Yamaha doesn't have to undercut BMW's pricing anymore. They simply have to offera bike that is just as good as a GS but with the Jap reliability. Anyway, long story short, my guess would be a high entry cost IF it gets green-lighted for the USA.

Anyone want to place bets on if we'll ever see it? I got darn good money that we won't.

From Yamaha UK courtesy of Motorcycle Daily...

Boasting an all-new large capacity parallel twin with a 270 degree crankshaft, it generates loads of low-end torque, so you're free to pull away from the crowds of commuters and zip past anything in your sights. The engine is mounted low and forward in the frame, which gives the new Super Ténéré great balance, a narrow profile, and a low centre of gravity for excellent handling, letting you pick your way through the maze comfortably and confidently. To inspire even more confidence, we've fitted it with our Yamaha Chip-Controlled Throttle system (YCC-T) with traction control, for extra peace of mind when riding on slippery surfaces.

Need to make a last-minute lane-change on the infamous cobblestones of l'Arc du Triomphe? Darting your way through the mayhem of Toledo's Old City, hustling past pedestrians lurking in the long shadows of the buttressed Catedral?

On the new Super Ténéré, no problem.

No problem, because we've designed the powertrain to be tough, reliable and low-maintenance. And no problem because we've designed the bike for use on any surface, from the gravel of the Atlas Mountains to the cobbles and potholes of Central Paris.

There's no problem with seating either; the new Super Ténéré has adjustable seating so you can tailor your riding position to any situation. You'll also benefit from superb weather protection so even on a rain-swept night in Geneva, the juggernauts can splash away. And because we know the chaos never stops, we've fitted the new Super Ténéré with a long-range fuel tank. That way, you won't have to stop much either.

If you plan to duel with the motorised gladiators of Rome, the good news is we've fitted ABS as well as a Unified Braking System as standard, to harness greater control. If you want to be the last one standing at the Coliseum, you sometimes have to back off.

And, whether you've just arrived at that enticing beachfront hotel in Barcelona after an 8-hour ride over the Pyrenees or you've just reached the office after a hellish commute, you'll be relieved to know you can equip the new Super Ténéré with spacious and easy-to-remove luggage cases.

For even more news of the new Super Ténéré's features, check out our next story. Now it's time to leave the city to its chaos, its noise and its smoke. It's time we headed back out into the great beyond.

In the meantime, don't forget to register so you're first in line for the latest updates on the new Super Ténéré.

The new Yamaha Super Ténéré. Go beyond.

For the same price, the BMW GS has huge aftermarket support. Yamaha needs to come in with a lower price.

575 lbs! Even with fuel that is enough that you might have to get overweight vehicle permits on some roads, like trucks hauling heavy equipment etc. I can't see a bike meant for off-road being that heavy. It is a touring bike. Do you really need all of that electronic support (to go out in the middle of no-where)?

Just my $.02.

Pat McDonald

The XT660Z has been out for how long now in Europe and never made it to North America. However I think this one will make it over here because of the everything needs to bigger for the USA mind set.

The XT660Z has been out for how long now in Europe and never made it to North America. However I think this one will make it over here because of the everything needs to bigger for the USA mind set.

I hope you're right, I'm nervous that it'll cost $15,000 if it gets here. At that price point it'll be out of my price range.

This is one bike I woudn't mind getting the shaft on!

(ok ok....I had to say it!) :)

Is it just me or does that look like a tall, shaft drive V-Strom?

Is it just me or does that look like a tall, shaft drive V-Strom?

Kind of, yes, with six gears.

Then again there is a Priller that looks like a Strom too.

Oh and yes, if they decide not to bring it, it will save me money. But I can't ride money, I would rather have the bike then the cash.

Here is a write up on Gizmag.

Last edited:
Re: New Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré

I Like...but the chances of them bringing it here won't happen....because we would buy it.

And if they did...I would have one, that's for sure

Back