• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bandit 1250 Dyno Results

Reaction score
Just had my Bandit 1250 dyno'd recently. The results are attached. It made 103.3 max power and 79.09 ft/lb max torque (Stage 1). Based on the results, the dyno tech suggested I LEAN it out at about 2200 RPM and "FATTEN" it at about 5000 - 8000 RPM. Comments or suggestions?

p.s. I previewed the attached jpeg. It's not very clear or large. I may attempt to re-scan it as another file format, i.e. pdf, gif, etc.

Thank you,
anbark22

Attachments

• 08 Bandit Dyno.jpg
    08 Bandit Dyno.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3,303
Sounds right looking at the A/F ratio...Lean it up a bit in the low end and then richen it a bit through the rest of the range...

Where did you get the current FI map for this run ? Do you have a stock run to compare this run to ?

Thanks for the chart...

You have a stage one and its running rich on the bottom and lean on the top end????? When you say stage one you mean the Holeshot stage one kit I assume? I thought the 02 sensor eliminator was designed with the TFI to fatten up the bottom end and thought that stock they tend to run rich up top. I could be totally wrong here but it sounds like your bike is doing just the opposite of what it does stock. With the TFI you can only richen the mixture so how would you lean it out as the Dyno Tech suggested?

I am running Dale's complete Stage 1 setup (TFI, 02 bypass, K&N, Aibox mod, pair valve blocked) but with a Scorpion slip-on.

I do not have a stock dyno run. However, you are correct Yamadavidson; In factory form, my bike ran perfect. No lean surges at any rpm, whatsoever. My bike may have been an exception from the factory and may have been set rich, of just right.

It did not run well (at all) on Dale's recommedded settings. Through trial and error was I able to get it to run good, but not like perfect from the factory, although the Stage 1 makes a good bit more power and torque.

The first pot was set at "2" during the dyno run, hence it added a bit more fuel and consequently the rich condition at about 2200 rpm to about 3800 rpm. I can back down to "1.5" or even less to lean it out. This is what the tech was referring to. I could even go less if required. The TFI can not subtract fuel, but can take it back to stock.

I will not know the true effects of the changes until I do another dyno run to examine the results. However, I can just play a little with the settings to get the "seat in the pants" feel and also the driveability feel.

I hope this answered your questions.

Thank you,
anbark22

Let us know how it works out when you make your adjustments...Just to be on the safe side another A/F ratio check might be needed after the changes...Looks like you have some hp and torque is available with just an A/F adjustment.

I see this was run #4.Were any adjustments made to the TFI unit,on the dyno?So he/or she told you what to try,but didn't let you make adjustments on the spot?Hhmm
IMHO I think the TFI unit is like a carb,3 adjustments and thats it,and you can at least put a smaller jet in a carb.Not a big fan,sorry.

Bang for the buck,i'd sell the TFI and get a power commandr and have it tuned better.IE:custom map.Butt dyno's aren't the way to go.

Just my 2 cents :chug:

The dyno numbers seem pretty low, I know all dynos are different but they look closer to stock than what Dale has on his website for stage 1. Could something be wrong with the TFI unit or 02 bypass thats causing it to not run to its full potential? Its a ***** when you spend your hard earned money for mods and dont get the results you hoped for. How does the bike run when your riding it? any surging or flat spots? hows the fuel economy? have you checked the plugs? a sooty exhaust or any other signs it not set up quite right?

California model,
Dyno'ed at the same proximity as Dale Walker's Bandit.

Factory Stock Dyno print-out,
then a Stage II print-out.
(I haven't Dyno'ed since installing factory header sans CAT'.)

I would say Dale's power figures are,
through a process of failing to mention every nuance in his set-up (and his YouTubed top speed run), are.....
a bit on the optimistic side.

zzzzzzzzzzzz12-6-08.jpg

P3030865.jpg

Hey fitty...Dyno looks pretty good...Looking at the dyno chart at 8,000 rpm it's interesting that the dip coincides with the A/F chart where it has a slight lean spike...I wonder if the A/F was richened right there it might get rid of the dip...Not that you need to as it's only a brief little area in the rpm range but I wonder if that's the cause of the dip.

Fifty-Looks like a lean spot at 7800-8000rpm to try and tune,nice gains though ;-)Nice to see a base test done on the same dyno.

I like my bikes with a nice smooth torque curve,no peaks,no dips.All these dyno sheets & a/f ratios are at 100% throttle.Do you ride at 100% all the time?Something to think about:trust:

Whitesands-I agree,got me buy 15min.I'm slow at this puter stuff:lol2:

Fifty-Looks like a lean spot at 7800-8000rpm to try and tune,nice gains though ;-)Nice to see a base test done on the same dyno.

I like my bikes with a nice smooth torque curve,no peaks,no dips.All these dyno sheets & a/f ratios are at 100% throttle.Do you ride at 100% all the time?Something to think about:trust:

Whitesands-I agree,got me buy 15min.I'm slow at this puter stuff:lol2:

Are you thinking what I'm thinking ?:lol2:

What you said about 100% throttle is interesting....Perhaps a power commander would be the best all around....Nevetheless, fitty does have some pretty nice gains there...

As I understand it,
and as it was explained to me by a fellow Bandit owner.....
who communicated with motorcycle techs:
Though a bit of a mystery, it's simply not out of the ordinary for our lean & green, tuned for torque, dialed in for that cam, to have that lean dip. The bike simply was meant to compete with the likes of a high performance Hayabusa.

In other words,
that dip is characteristic of the 1250 engine and apparently can not be tuned entirely outa there, without being at the expense of it's characteristic linear power delivery.

Think of that "lean power dip" as being likened to the designed-in flaw that American Indians incorporate in their ceramonial blankets.

:zen:

I thought the dip may be due to something weird happening around that mark with the secondary butterflies.

This theory would be defunct if someone on here has removed the butterflies and the dip still exists.

My tuner tried to tune the dip out and we even disabled the TRE in case that was doing something weird. Anything we did made no difference.

As I understand it,
and as it was explained to me by a fellow Bandit owner.....
who communicated with motorcycle techs:
Though a bit of a mystery, it's simply not out of the ordinary for our lean & green, tuned for torque, dialed in for that cam, to have that lean dip. The bike simply was meant to compete with the likes of a high performance Hayabusa.

In other words,
that dip is characteristic of the 1250 engine and apparently can not be tuned entirely outa there, without being at the expense of it's characteristic linear power delivery.

Think of that "lean power dip" as being likened to the designed-in flaw that American Indians incorporate in their ceramonial blankets.

:zen:

If our bikes are designed to to compete with the Hayabusa then Suzuki dropped the ball and we got screwed. I have never seen the 1250 in anyway compared to a Busa. Thats a real stretch Fitty but I do like Indian blankets.

The bike simply was meant to compete with the likes of a high performance Hayabusa.

D'OH!

I just re-read what I wrote..... looks like I failed to add, " 'nt " to the end of my " was " ......

My bad, been doing a lot of quickly typed posts and making lotsa mistakes lately. I wonder if I'm okay. I mean seriously, LOTSA typing & sentence structure mistakes for the last month????

I thought the dip may be due to something weird happening around that mark with the secondary butterflies.

This theory would be defunct if someone on here has removed the butterflies and the dip still exists.

My tuner tried to tune the dip out and we even disabled the TRE in case that was doing something weird. Anything we did made no difference.

Reddog-I think your on to something,with the butterflies.As in Mr Walkers dyno charts,the dip at 8500rpm goes away after the butterflies are removed(stage 2).He also has an even A/F ratio across the rpm range.
On Fiftys (stage 2)chart,the dip is moved lower(7800-8000rpm).So this dip may have been able to be tuned out with fine tuning.Maybe :lol2:.

Anyone seen a dyno chart of an Arrow full system,on a 1250?

One of the lads down here in Perth Western Australia has Arrow headers on his bike. He reckons it has woken up the 1250 motor for sure. I will see if he has a dyno print out to show you what power he gets with it.

Was interesting to see where the stock power band ran on your bike Fifty. My operating range is from 3000 to about 5000 about 99% of my riding. Amazing the amount of torque in that range.

I paid a quick fourty bucks for a Dyno run and sniff, below are the results:

K&N, 1" hole in air box, TFI w/Holeshot's settings, secondaries removed, OEM header with clean job of CAT" completely removed:

P3090906.jpg

Notice Wally the differnces between before CAT' removal (above), and after CAT' removal. Less torque, more horsepower, more refined flat line of air/fuel ratio, albeit a bit on the rich side.

Similar weather & humidity conditions, same altitude, different machine......

If anything, I would say that my Dyno-butt notices quicker and more assertive throttle response without the CAT'.

Back