• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DFW to Possum Kingdom Lake, What To See

Reaction score
Considering a trip with 3 buddies from DFW to Possum Kingdom Lake (Drive to Friday night) take a 160mile trip around the lake Saturday, then return either sat afternoon or Sunday.

Is there anything neat (museums, national parks, caves) anything thats somewhat on the way?
Here is the lake route we will be following. http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/SouthWest/TX/TX_31.shtml

Thanks!
Brett

There is a neat cliff area I think it is called devils gate, maybe Yeeha will chime in I think he used to spend alot of time here as a kid

Actually yes 3/4 of us have been to ****'s Gate on a previous trip. If I remember correctly its only accessible via boat though.

You are correct Hells's Gate is only accessable by water.

If you are riding the loop Texas Motorcycle Rides loop you might want to consider turning west on 180 at Brad, then south on FM 711, then back east on FM207 to Strawn. It is a lot twistier than that stretch of TX-16.

On the other hand if you want to test for high speed weave that part of 16 is really straight and flat :trust:

PK has a just opened Malibu GrandPrix type go kart track, haven't been there yet.

Is this what you speak of?

original.jpg

Yeah, photo must have been taken on a week day, maybe in winter, judging by the tranquility..

You are correct the Gate is only accessable by water.

IMG_1351.jpg

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

IMG_1354.jpg

We parked in a cul-de-sac and hiked on a clear path with no gates or trespassing signs. While we were there several others hiked in and out too.

N32.84991 W98.47132 Coordinates for the cul-de-sac.

Touche'. :hail: You're technically correct. I'll dial back a bit... Many, most?, areas on that portion of the lake are "gated".

Touche'. :hail: You're technically correct. I'll dial back a bit... Many, most?, areas on that portion of the lake are "gated".

Shall I let the cat out of the bag?

Go here...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=hells....849163,-98.470416&spn=0.004516,0.006663&z=17

It's in Sportmans Paradise. Used to be a gated development... no longer. Zoom out on the map and see where to turn off Hwy 16. Used to be marked as Hells Gate Drive West, but I don't remember if any of the signs are still up. Watch the speed bumps. Take H-gate West to the 2nd Hells Gate loop, and go left. Turn right onto Hells Gate Point. Ride to the end of this dead-end.

After dismounting, face the end of the court. On the right is occupied property with a fence along the Western edge. The left side is vacant.
Squeeze through the brush along that fence on the vacant side. You'll see the trail, and climb up the rocks. Watch for rattlesnakes on warmer days. They like to sun themselves on the rocks. On crowded weekends, they hide from the people climbing the gate, but early in the morning/later in the day, as the air starts to cool... they warm up on the rocks. No Fear, just be aware of your surroundings.

Careful with your footing with MC boots on. Hate to hear of you making the plunge!

-

Don't know how much explorin' you want to do, but Fort Belknap is between Graham and Newcastle on Hwy 61... Kinda out that way.

Back