• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The EPA's, Documerica Project

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
I came across this today and felt it too good to not share. Well worth the the time it took to read the article.

WiReD.com said:
Two years after Richard Nixon created the Environmental Protection Agency, the new institution sent out 100 photographers to document the nation’s environment writ large.

Now, those photos have made it out of the root cellar of the National Archive and onto Flickr Commons, where they are getting a wider viewing than they’ve ever received. The first group of what will become a 15,000-photo set from the Documerica project are now available online to the public.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/03/epa-gallery/all/1

But the real prize, for me anyway, was going to the Flickr group and checking out several of the photographers work.

National Archives Flickr Gallery said:
For the Documerica Project (1971-1977), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) hired freelance photographers to capture images relating to environmental problems, EPA activities, and everyday life in the 1970s.

The U.S. National Archives digitized more than 15,000 photographs from the series Documerica (Local ID 412-DA) and included them in our online catalog. Our Web site has quick catalog search links for featured DOCUMERICA topics, locations, and photographers.

For those who remember the '70s, it is a neat step back into time. This Photographer, Marc St. Gil, has a bunch of Texas photos.

Enjoy.

What the .... I don't remember that! But she sure looks familiar.:trust:
3703578603_4fb3ed613b.jpg

:mrgreen:
days of our youth!

Back