• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Newbie looking for advice - Should I buy this bike?

Siah

Reaction score
Hey all, going to go check out a Bandit 1200 bike today or tomorrow. It's for sale for $2200 ($2750 if I have the PO replace the chain and sprockets)
Garage kept, sounds like it's been responsibly ridden (back and forth on an 100 mile commute its entire life) by 1 owner.
It's a 2003, the only caveat is it has 61k miles.

Honestly part of me sees this as a good thing, if it's been treated well for 61k then it'll be in probably better shape then a 7 yo bike that's been sitting for half that time.

Anyway, I think 22 sounds like a great price but I've gotten mixed messages.
BTW I can do the chain and sprocket myself for $160. Not a hard fix.

I don't know enough about Bandits or 'Zukis in general to give specifics, but I'd ask about his maintenance schedule. Does he have proof of regular maintenance? Do the Bandits need valve work regularly? If so, has the PO had it done with any regularity?

Might just be a great deal lurking.... do not pay the extra bucks for chain/sprocket replacement - it's easy with the right tools and there's lots of local help with Bandit knowledge.

Service records and/or history would be great. Valve jobs are required more frequently but after that many miles they rarely need adjusting. If the oil has been changed frequently and the bike hasn't been modded to the extreme (Stage 3 jet kit, etc.) you'll likely have lots of miles left - and they'll be fun miles.

The 2003 models were NOT in the oil-burner VIN range so you're good to go.

If you have any questions, p/m me as mine only has 103,000+ miles on it.

Owner says he's changed oil every 3k, did the scheduled maintenance for the break in and has done two valve jobs since (one at 10k, one at 32k, said that at 32k there was no adjustment needed)

Beyond that the bike is bone stock other than a 37 tooth rear sprocket (owner was more concerned about mileage than pulling wheelies)

That's a great start.... although I've never heard of a 37 tooth rear - stock is 45. Stock gearing gives me nearly 45mpg so if I were to replace them I'd lean toward stock but that's your call.

I would consider a valve inspection/check since it's been nearly 30,000 miles - I try to do one at least every 20,000 although factory interval is 7,500.

Budget for new plugs (stock NGK's will set you back about 10 bucks). I'd do a fork oil change and pull, clean, inspect & re-lube swing-arm & suspension bearings. If it's the stock shock I highly recommend you replace it - they aren't rebuild-able and aftermarket shocks will really make a difference. There are some low cost alternatives but mid-range cost drop-in replacements that are Bandit specific are available. Brake and clutch lines are way overdue if they're still stock and it would be a good time to upgrade to braided. Brake and clutch fluid may need changing as well.

Be sure to check the projector headlight housing for the dreaded "black dust syndrome" - it shouldn't be a deal breaker (fixable although a ****) but you should know that 2nd gen Bandits have marginal headlights and the BDS noted makes them even worse.

With the exception of the shock, these are all pretty cheap things to consider beyond initial purchase price. Good luck and keep us posted.

A cheap rear shock alternative is from a Busa. I picked one up on FleaBay for less than $45. It greatly improves the ride out back. Only drawback is that it does raise the seat height and might be a problem for the vertically challenged but easily solved with new dog bones (you can make your own even). Once I get employed again... My next mod will be a Busa front end. Mine is an 03 as well and I couldn't be happier with the bike!

Owner says he's changed oil every 3k, did the scheduled maintenance for the break in and has done two valve jobs since (one at 10k, one at 32k, said that at 32k there was no adjustment needed)

Beyond that the bike is bone stock other than a 37 tooth rear sprocket (owner was more concerned about mileage than pulling wheelies)

Wow..lot of change from stock.. (15-45). I actually went up on my 1200 from that to a 48 tooth rear. BTW I traded my 1200 at 37k..absolutely no problems with it. I changed oil regularly and maintained it myself.
If the tires are near changing, I'd probably inspect and pack or replace the wheel bearings..(sometimes you can actually pack them because the seal on one side can be removed). Get the number off the bearing and you can crossover to good aftermarket bearings at a lot lower cost.
Shotrod

That's a great start.... although I've never heard of a 37 tooth rear - stock is 45. Stock gearing gives me nearly 45mpg so if I were to replace them I'd lean toward stock but that's your call.

Be sure to check the projector headlight housing for the dreaded "black dust syndrome" - it shouldn't be a deal breaker (fixable although a ****) but you should know that 2nd gen Bandits have marginal headlights and the BDS noted makes them even worse.

With the exception of the shock, these are all pretty cheap things to consider beyond initial purchase price. Good luck and keep us posted.

I had that...plus a rattle from the metal headlamp mounts. I actually cut the housing apart, repaired the brackets and cleaned it up. Reassembled with silicon sealer and it worked fine
Shotrod

these are great bikes. I've heard nothing but good stuff about these bikes. As long as they're taken care of.

took it for a test ride and it was amazing...however the money situation isn't working out.
Going to try to save the pennies til I can get one. I've decided either a Bandit 1200 or a Honda Interceptor will be my next bike, leaning toward the bandit for size and cost but I've never sat on the VFR.

Back