• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I feel like a proud Father

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
I just did my first powder coating test today with my in house powder coating system and this is one of two test parts I powder coated and they came out perfect.

So tomorrow I do some real parts. The parts were shot with semigloss black and picture doesn't do it justice, as they look better than some parts I just had powder coater to do for me a month ago. :rider:

IMG_0645-1.jpg

Nice, do you mind sharing the kit you bought?

I purchased the powder coat gun from Eastwood Co. along with several different colors of powder to start off with, an assortment of silicone masking plugs of which I need to buy some more in different sizes, some S/S hanging wire and some high temp masking tape, and several upgrades for the gun that make the powder spray out more uniform and work better for smaller parts.

I also purchased a nearly new, two year old full size Whirlpool electric oven that's look like it was used only a couple of times, a new 0-25 psi air pressure regulator with a 0-30 PSI gauge. I already had a brand new oil and water separator and air filter, plus I had to buy the electrical components to hook the up the oven, which I hooked up using a long piece of 4/8 SO cord so that I can move the oven around where I have it setup on covered the slab behind my garage. I also have the oven sitting on 4 x 4 skids with 45 degree angle ends which help me move it around and raise it off the ground so that it a little easier loading the rack into.

I had a a nice steel adjustable stand which I made a cool billet aluminum and steel holder that the racks from the oven hang off of horizontally, and that are easily removed so that once the parts are sprayed I can easily remove the rack with the parts hanging from it and transport it to the waiting oven.

I also modified the oven racks so that the slide straight in with out having to tilt them up like you normally do, and per the nice book that came with the kit, I made a cool stand that allows me to sift the powder into the bottle that goes onto the gun to make sure that there are no clumps in the powder. All in all I spent close to $800 setting it all up.

I was wondering if you were baking the powder coated parts next to the pot roast.:lol2:

I was wondering if you were baking the powder coated parts next to the pot roast.:lol2:

No. You always want to use a dedicated electric oven for baking powder coated parts. I ran an actual batch of parts today, and they too came out perfect.

Once you have set up everything accordingly and follow the guideline's it's really easy to do. :rider:

You should check out powderbuythepound.com. They have some nice guns and a ton of powder. I was doing it for about a year but just sold off most of the stuff because I'm moving.

Also, I've found that going a few minutes beyond the recommended time helps flow out and gives you a much smoother finish. The IR guns tend to read a bit high, especially if you have a glossy or reflective coating. It's best to use a piece of bare metal of the same thickness as what you're shooting and check the temp off of that.

It's pretty addictive, soon you'll be building a larger oven and spray booth..

You should check out powderbuythepound.com. They have some nice guns and a ton of powder. I was doing it for about a year but just sold off most of the stuff because I'm moving.

Also, I've found that going a few minutes beyond the recommended time helps flow out and gives you a much smoother finish. The IR guns tend to read a bit high, especially if you have a glossy or reflective coating. It's best to use a piece of bare metal of the same thickness as what you're shooting and check the temp off of that.

It's pretty addictive, soon you'll be building a larger oven and spray booth..

I typed that web address in and in directs me to this, which does not show any company by that name.
http://www.powderbythepound.com/

Yup, that's it. They have a real good support forum, everyone is willing to help. And they have a few hundred page long threads of what people have coated. It'll give you a ton of ideas just going through it.

They're redoing their gun line right now so the new ones will be out in a couple weeks. The powders were always top notch and they give stuff away if you order over 5lbs. They have a monthly special going on all the time, big selection of colors too.

Spray booth:
P7150712.jpg

Ghetto fabulous oven expanded with 2x6 aluminum:
P8060725.jpg

2 stage wheels:
P8060721.jpg

Grips:
P8170727.jpg

P8170733.jpg

Back