• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Communications for CHEAPSKATES!

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
OK, here's my delima...

I want basic communication on the bike. But I'm a self confessed CHEAPSKATE.

I know there's no one product that solves all situations since some folks are using CB, some GMRS, some FRS and others still something else.

The more I look at the various systems, the more confused I become. I rarely ride in a group and there are so many systems out there that not any one will be compatable with everyone else. I primarily just want rider/passenger communication first, but bike to bike would be nice too.

I met some other riders yesterday that were using the BT Interphone bluetooth headsets and were very happy with them. They are simple, small, light and downright affordable at only about a C note to rig up 2 helmets. They were very happy with theirs.

Anyone else have any experience with these good or bad?

815552884_jvwwn-M.jpg

You were both beat to the punch by someone one on another forum.

That however IS within my cheapskate price range!

You just have to ride a tight formation to keep it effective between bikes.

My wife and I had the Chatterbox system. For two up it was okay, but a bit bulky. The range is no where near the two miles they speak of unless you are in visual sight.

My issue with the Chatterbox system was that they broke and the parts were very expensive. First off we paid like $225 for the two. After about a year one of the Chargers quit working, $60 to replace. The VOX was way to sensitive to wind noise, even in a full face helmet. Then the ear phone cable quit working on one, another $60. Then one of them would not transmit. The only solution was to replace it for $125! So I just took them off my helmets and have not used them since.

Now this was several years ago (4), so I'm sure there are some better products out there by now.

Scala Rider Q2 Multiset,

Cost is not in your range but each has a MP3 jack, you can talk to your wife, FM radio on both, bluetooth, if someone else has a Q2 you can pair it up for bike-to-bike, when your wife is not with you the other headset can be used by another rider for bike-to-bike.

The Teamset line is closer to your cost figure but it's no good for bike-to-bike, bluetooth for rider only.

If rider & passenger is your primary concern, with the option to go bike-to-bike later, look at the StarCom1

I have the rider/pilion kit and have been very happy with it. Crisp clean audio, bike powered so no batteries needed (though the basic one can run on a 9v if you want to).
My one complaint is the cables, I don't like having cables running around, but at the same time, I really like not having to charge anything, just jump on and go :rider:

I picked this unit over the Autocom, cause at the time, the Autocom didn't have stereo sound for music. To top it off, it was cheaper.

They sell cables to connect to just about every GMRS/FRS/Ham/CB radio out there.
SpoiledBiker sells the full line as well.
I ordered mine direct from StarCom in the UK and they shipped very fast and were very helpful. I've ordered replacement cables from SpoiledBiker and they were prompt as well.

Your welcome to look at my StarCom at a M&G sometime.

You might want to look at IMC (http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=160). I have installed the system on my Vstrom. It works great for integrating my XM radio (through Zumo 550) and CB radio (run off of batteries). I haven't tried for intercom. The price is right at $200 and it comes with everything you need including headsets.

For rider to passenger, the Scala Rider Teamset is one of the most cost effective ways to do it well. The Q2 is considerably better for a host of reasons (full duplex, better electronics, built in FM radio, 1/2 mile range (they only claim 500m, but it's better than that when outside interference and especially when in line of sight), etc. But it's also more money (although still less than their new G4). If you can swing the Q2 set, you'd be quite happy and have the option to do bike to bike as well. If not, then the Teamset will get you good rider to passenger functionality, with bluetooth for your phone or GPS when riding solo and the option to plug in an MP3 player.

Any one interested in using FRS handheld radios?
Can be wired or connected vis bluetooth to a helmet headset.
Advantage is: range (marketing say s35 miles), multi uses, & multi brands work together.
Headset with mike start at $15. Connection between FRS and headset about $50

I've been happy with the SENA units for MCBelle and myself. Seems like I got a discount with Rocket Moto through their offer on ADV's Vendor Forum. Looks like the price is quite a bit higher these days. Nice, compact, easy to mount and to use. An over night charge will last for days of riding. Can usually get at least a half mile range, more when terrain allows.

One disappointment with Bluetooth headsets is that they will only work with others from the same manufacturer. Sometimes it could be handy to connect to other riders using other brands of BT intercoms. Oh well.

FRS and GMRS wouldn't have that limitation, but they won't quickly and easily hook into GPS, Phone, Music and such.

I've really become quite accustomed to having tunes on the ride.

As for the tin can and string idea, you might be able to get a taut line between the helmet shells and make that work. ;)

I'm using a Scala paired with a Zumo with medocre success. I'm thinking about pairing to the phone and skipping the Zumo all together. As noted above they are not cheap though.

Keep in mind the helmet that you are using. It can make all the difference if the headset works or not.

I use the Scala Q2 Pro. People I'm talking to can hear me load and clear, at speeds up to 80 (haven't tried faster than that, yet). I have the system installed in a Shoei RF-1000 full face, with the mic at the very bottom, right under my chin. I also very rarely move the windshield up, as I kinda like my head hanging in the wind.

I have it paired with my iPhone, but not the GPS as I haven't decided how I want things mounted yet. The iPhone connection works great. FM is built in, although for long rides, I'm not sure I'd listen to it too much...I tend to dance around in the saddle, which is disconcerting to drivers.

I'm not positive, since I didn't see it in the manual, but I think the noise cancelling feature for the mic must also have an input to volume.

The only problem with the set is the speakers. They're lousy. Well, maybe not lousy, it's just that for the money spent, they could be much better. I'm thinking of changing them out with a decent headphone speaker. Larger, built in cushion, that type of thing. I think that would improve my hearing them quite a bit, and improve on comfort. i just have to find the right set, with the right sized speakers. A bit of soldering is easy, and there are many videos on youtube that talk about changing them out.

I was in my local cycle gear yesterday and they had some Bluetooth head sets for 179.99 a pair...uclear hbc1000 i believe was what it was.

Back