• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Seahorse SE720 Side Case Install

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Phenix
Well I have finally come close to finishing the job I started just before my trip to VA. I wanted some big old Pelican-style cases and I didn't care what they looked like on my street bike.

817115676_eXz9d-L.jpg

I decided on Seahorse SE-720 cases - not quite as sturdy as Pelican but at $53 a copy, ya can't beat 'em. They're quite a bit lighter too. I found an incomplete side case mounting bracket set for some unspecified cruiser that I cut and welded and bent to fit the Bandit.

815967568_5Pby5-L.jpg

Of course I used more bicycle locks to mount the cases. I welded the tips on like so:

817112111_9EgVC-L.jpg

Locks are fastened to the cases as before with 1" conduit clamps at the top and the bottom is secured with sections of black poly cutting board material. I used reach nuts to keep the hardware flush.

815964672_DhNRF-L.jpg

815966905_X96VM-L.jpg

The cases lock on securely and pop on and off quickly.

817119224_mJt6k-L.jpg

817120010_D9E6A-L.jpg

more pics

Last edited:
Looks great, very similar to the Krauser mounts. One suggestion. Make the polyboard support as wide as the inside of the mounts so they don't shift front to back.

Larry
VFRrider

My next step was to make the cases more visible at night. I ordered two 8" x 10" sheets of 3M Scotchlite from cyclegadgets.com.

The material is black
822507280_ci2tX-L.jpg

. . . . . until you shine a light on it - then WOW!
822531794_dZMrS-L.jpg

822531678_Hfjvs-L.jpg

Nice work. I am thinking about a little more expensive and using the cariboo DIY for my s w motech rack and using one top open case on one side and a side open on the other. I found some pelican cases used but not as inexpensive as yours. Any pointers re your project ie wishes you had done any thing differently. dale

So the insurance paid to replace my right side case after the tip over a year ago but after a while I decided the gouges on its leading edge weren't bad enough to take the time and trouble to refit. The replacement Seahorse SE-720 case arrived and sat on a shelf in the garage for several months. Slowly I turned my attention to the older slightly smaller Pelican top case and targeted it for replacement instead. I dabbled and tinkered here and there adding the necessary hardware and it's finally done.

I used flat aluminum as reinforcement and countersunk flathead bolts. The pad eyes are held on with tee nuts so everything inside the case is flush.
1207943167_3FgzP-L.jpg

Once again, I used Sea Dog nylon marine pad eyes and "S" biners to secure the bungee net.

1207941389_DKhdj-L.jpg

1207941362_fVowD-L.jpg

The Seahorse case is lighter, yet slightly larger than the early design Pelican 1500 and has accommodations for two padlocks. Now all 3 cases match - gotta get more stickers! :rider:

Absolutely love it.

I'm toying with the idea of a Pelican for a tank bag too. I have a Bags Connection top ring (extra from electrifying the wife's tank bag) in my tool chest. Originally the plan was to run EVERYTHING through the tank bag. Heated gear, radio, gps, etc, etc.

Everything is wired through the bike and I haven't had any problems with anything so the only thing holding me up is laziness. :lol2:

Where did you aqcuire the hardware, such as the flush countersunk bolts? And yes, for half the price of regular motoluggage I can deal with the slight leaking cases I have :trust:

IMAGE_699.jpg

Your setup looks terrific :clap:

Where did you aqcuire the hardware, such as the flush countersunk bolts? :
Mostly the local hardware store. I tried to use stainless whenever possible. The mounting racks were an incomplete kit for some unknown bike that I bent and welded to fit the bandit. I got it cheap from Ross Land (Land's Cycles) I-10 @ Bayou in Channelview. I think he has more.

And yes, for half the price of regular motoluggage I can deal with the slight leaking cases I have :trust:
I think I have around $200 invested in the whole rig - all 3 cases. I've been careful not to over stuff the Seahorse cases and no leaks so far. :wary:

Your setup looks terrific :clap:
Thanks! They look great on your GS too. :thumb:

Last edited:
I think I have around $200 invested in the whole rig - all 3 cases. I've been careful not to over stuff the Seahorse cases and no leaks so far. :wary:

That is exacly why mine have a slight leak now where the corners at the latches bent out a smidge. Yes, i wrote a smidge ;-) I bought the brackets from MS panniers:

http://www.mspanniers.com/brackets.htm

Total investment of $450 or so. Very happy, and saved me from injury several times already due to hard falls :clap:

Back