• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dirt Bike Insurance

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
I received my insurance renewal notice from Progressive today. I carry the minimum on an 87' TW200 that I haven't ridden in two years, and enough to cover most accident/loss scenarios for an 07' DR650 which I actually ride. Strangely, instead of thinking about trying to reduce my insurance cost, it occurred to me that maybe I should have some insurance coverage on my primary dirt bike, an 05' YZ250. I know I've seen way too many Progressive commercials with the weird insurance chick, but does it make sense to insure a $2,000 - $2,500 dirt bike for theft/accident when it's locked in my garage at home something like 340 days out of the year? I don't race any organized events, just trail ride.

YES! It's super cheap, and if you happen to come into a collision on the trails with someone else, and they decide to sue for whatever reason, you are covered. I don't know why people don't cover their off road bikes more often.

Check with your insurance agent, or two or three, and get prices.

Theft/collision might be too pricy, but I would say liability is a must. I keep liability on a bike that hasn't left my garage in 10 years, just in case I decide to get it going. It's like 30 bucks a year on top of the other 2 bikes.

Full coverage on my '06 WR 450 with 50/25/50 and uninsured motorist at same coverages is only around $100 a year. That's with Progressive. Even had my 4-wheeler insured with same full coverage.

For that price, why not?

Check your homeowners insurance policy. Your dirtbike may be already covered.

I had two dirt bikes (XR-80 & KX-250) stolen out of a storage shed in the backyard. My homeowners agent said as long as they DID NOT have license plates, they would be covered. Sure enough, they sent a check to pay for two brand new replacement bikes (even though I bought both used).

Steve

Back