• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Aftermarket slip on backfiring

Reaction score
I just completed installing a Two Brothers slip on on my Bandit. It went smooth and easy, it took probbably 10 minutes. It looks good, it sounds great, but I just had the bike out for a short spin and I noticed that it backfires when I throttle down.

Is this normal, is it something to be concerned about, or I shouldn't really be botherred about it? :doh:

I don't intend to put a Power Commander or TFI on the bike, eventually I will cut a hole (as recomanded) in the air box and try to remove the secondary butterflies at a later time.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

Can't speak much for then new-fangled computerized hydro-cooled jobbers but it sounds pretty typical for a bike that has the PAIR emissions unit still in place. Remove that and popping on decel should go away.

Having fought this with my Harley, it wasn't a lean or a computer issue, but rather an exhaust leak where the muffler connected to the header pipe. My suggestion would be to squirt a few ounces of oil in the spark plug holes, fire it up and yes it will smoke, but it will also smoke where the leak is.

I just completed installing a Two Brothers slip on on my Bandit. It went smooth and easy, it took probbably 10 minutes. It looks good, it sounds great, but I just had the bike out for a short spin and I noticed that it backfires when I throttle down.

Is this normal, is it something to be concerned about, or I shouldn't really be botherred about it? :doh:

I don't intend to put a Power Commander or TFI on the bike, eventually I will cut a hole (as recomanded) in the air box and try to remove the secondary butterflies at a later time.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

Popping or backfiring is very common after installing an after market exhaust, and in most cases by either plugging the air supply line to then PAIR control solenoid valve, or removing the entire system using block off plates will eliminate the popping on decel.

Popping or backfiring is very common after installing an after market exhaust, and in most cases by either plugging the air supply line to then PAIR control solenoid valve, or removing the entire system using block off plates will eliminate the popping on decel.

Thank you.

Now, I have to admit my lack of knowledge, but where is the PAIR system located, how does it look like ?

And further, is there any problem if I'm riding it like this ?

If it's just "popping" I don't see a problem riding it and forgetting about it. If it's a "cannon firing sound, with huge bursts of flame coming out the tail," then I'd really be concerned. :)

Just plug the pair hose under tank on right side of bike. No need to remove tank, no need to buy anything other than some sort of rubber or wooden plug. There are many discussions on this topic and even pictures on this site and Max Suzuki. really easy to do and will eliminate the popping.

If it's just "popping" I don't see a problem riding it and forgetting about it. If it's a "cannon firing sound, with huge bursts of flame coming out the tail," then I'd really be concerned. :)

Just moderate popping ... But I will try nonetheless eventually to block the PAIR valve as it seems a no brainer.

Most likely the engine was doing the same thing with the stock exhaust but with quieter mufflers you just could not hear it.

Just in case...Make sure your are not running too lean.

This might sound weird, but I actually like the 'popping' decel sound. And keep in mind that it is perfectly normal, it does not indicate any malfunction nor does it cause any damage to the bike.

This might sound weird, but I actually like the 'popping' decel sound. And keep in mind that it is perfectly normal, it does not indicate any malfunction nor does it cause any damage to the bike.

I'm not sure, I only had the bike for a short run, I heard the popping but I had no time to actually get used too. You never know, I may like it too :)

The popping is completely normal and every bike that has a pair valve will do it...It does it with the stock exhaust as well but it's quieter and you don't hear it as much.....With the aftermarket exhaust it's not as muffled and you hear more of it...

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

A Graves AIS block will help reduce the popping, however, some popping will happen even if you block off the air intake. The Graves Smog Block Off Plates thingey are designed to seal off the ports on the valve cover used by the air injection system (a.k.a smog pumps or AIS).

I would suggest if you are going to go to all that effort, including cutting the air-box, to get a PCIII and get the bike dyno-tuned properly. If you don't, you really are not going to get much benefit plus your bike's EFI may not adjust properly causing plugs to foul earlier etc.

If you don't get a PCIII with the correct map, it is like getting an expensive high-end stereo and playing music through cheap $15 dollar speakers.

RB

Back