• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FI Problems on an '02 VFR. Suggestions?

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Seery
So the other day i was following my parents to Cici's Pizza and while waiting for traffic to clear the bike just died. I checked that the clutch was fully in (sitting in 1st gear) and that the kill switch was properly set, still no start. after turning the key off and then back on the bike started and ran fine.

minor quirk and all is well right?

almost.

today coming back from lunch, the bike started sputtering and stumbeling, as well as the FI light blinking on an off at random. idle speed dropped to around 8-900 RPM (barely running) and the throttle response was horriblely jerky.

again after shutting the bike off and back on it appeared to run fine.

when i get home this evening i am going to check the fuel filter and see if that is clogged. if that's not it I am out of ideas.

Suggestions?

(this post duplicated on VFRD, ST.N)

You're not alone. The 6th gen VFR's are a bit touchy in the fuel injection performance. While you cannot get rid of it completely, you can certainly reduce when it happens:

1. Check your idle speed at temp. It should be 1200 +-100 rpm. I set mine to 1300.
2. Get the O2 eliminators. This will help TREMENDOUSLY!
3. Consider getting either the PCIII+ or the Techlusion TFI to smooth out the throttle response. I have the TFI box on mine.

I get the jerky response (though not the stalling engine) about once every few months. Just turn the key off and back on, let the FI light go out before starting and all is well. This apparently resets the computer somehow.

And they say the Honda's don't have character...?

wczimmerman said:
You're not alone. The 6th gen VFR's are a bit touchy in the fuel injection performance. While you cannot get rid of it completely, you can certainly reduce when it happens:

1. Check your idle speed at temp. It should be 1200 +-100 rpm. I set mine to 1300.
2. Get the O2 eliminators. This will help TREMENDOUSLY!
3. Consider getting either the PCIII+ or the Techlusion TFI to smooth out the throttle response. I have the TFI box on mine.

I get the jerky response (though not the stalling engine) about once every few months. Just turn the key off and back on, let the FI light go out before starting and all is well. This apparently resets the computer somehow.

And they say the Honda's don't have character...?
he he, all machines have character of some form. I just wish my VFR didn't have quite as much :)

I really don't think that this is normal as i have had nearly 6k miles w/o this jerky throttle issue.

i am going to pull the engine codes off of it this evening and see what those say. (finger crossed)

Are the late models prone to RR failures as well? My 98 exhibited similar behavior prior to the regulator rectifier failing. To be sure you could check with a voltmeter and make sure she is charging properly.

Just a thought...

I had some issues on my 01 for a brief time. Basically, it felt like one of the cylinders was dropping and causing the bike to run rough. There is a procedure for going through the fault codes on the FI system that is explained in the manual (assuming you have it). Basically, it involves counting the number of times the FI light blinks and then looking in a chart to see what it tells you might be the problem. I went through all of this and it was a bit of a rabbit chase. Then I pulled the tank and air box, cleaned every electrical contact I could find, put it all back together and never had any further problems. If the contacts on any of the sensors is gunked, it can cause bad readings from the sensor and screw up the FI system.

Good luck!

I looked at the book last night and then at the bike, and the FI light is not flashing at all (except when it is running bad, then it is just on)

I am going to drain the tank (its full naturally) and check the fuel filter and then go from there.

Well, I got the oil changed last night. While the bike was down I took the tank off and checked the fuel filter. Its clogged. So now I have to wait for the new one to come in (they said 1wk)

i also checked the regulator/rectifier and the power to the fuel pump all was well.

Thanks for the help

tx-vfr said:
Well, I got the oil changed last night. While the bike was down I took the tank off and checked the fuel filter. Its clogged. So now I have to wait for the new one to come in (they said 1wk)

i also checked the regulator/rectifier and the power to the fuel pump all was well.

Thanks for the help

How did you know it was plugged?

took it off and blew threw it. works on all the cages i have worked on (new FI models too)

wczimmerman said:
How many miles? What brand of gas do you use?
8305 miles on the bike. (seems strange for the filter to clog this soon, but whatever)

Gas: whatever is cheapest. though i rarely stop at the little hole-in-the-wall places. mostly the grocery store stations, wal-mart, HEB, etc.

I got the bike used in Aug '04 and it had been purchased through an auction prior to my purchase. so i think that it sat for quite a while with little to no use. which would cause the gas to gum up and generally plug a filter.

8305 miles on the bike. (seems strange for the filter to clog this soon, but whatever)

Gas: whatever is cheapest. though i rarely stop at the little hole-in-the-wall places. mostly the grocery store stations, wal-mart, HEB, etc.

I got the bike used in Aug '04 and it had been purchased through an auction prior to my purchase. so i think that it sat for quite a while with little to no use. which would cause the gas to gum up and generally plug a filter.

Interesting. I have 16K on my 04 but I've always used name brand gas. I've not had a problem yet, but keep us posted on the results!

Back