• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1250 Bandit auxilary fuel tank

Reaction score
Hi gang,

Has anybody set up an auxilary fuel tank on their 1250 Bandit, I want it to be a gravity feed with an on-off tap so no extra parts to go wrong.

I rode from Sydney to Perth [yes Australia] return over Xmas [yes, thats our summer] and I hate stopping for fuel. It is a trip of 9,500km's [5,900mile] and due to the wide open spaces, the touring speeds are fairly high. I have done a stage 2, Dale Walker job on it, and it settles in comfortably at 160-180kph [100-112mph] so I am probably only getting about 250km range. I would love to be able to go 500km between stops.

Regards buelllord

I would not think it would be any different from adding one to a BMW or Goldwing. I've seen them mounted on those and others out west where it's need here in the US.

I sure no one makes just for this bike. Most of the iron butt guys come up with their own creations. Look on the wing sites and some of the sport touring sites to get ideas. Looks pretty easy to do. So what does 250kms work out to in miles? I can get about 200 miles out of mine without it going into the reserve mode on fuel gauge at 75mph or so. I rode with a guy recently with the stage 2 done to his and I used about 3/10s of a gallon less per fillup at each 100 mile top off and we rode about 600 miles so the differance was great. From what ive read stage 2 really seems to effect mileage. What about taller gearing to extend your range a little?

I take it the Bandit has it's fuel pump mounted inside the tank just like many other Suzuki's correct?

If so, the only way to get a true aux fuel feed into your tank it to drill and weld a threaded bung into the plate that holds the fuel pump inside the tank. Then you run a feed line from the aux tank of your choice, with an on/off valve somewhere in between and you are done. It will gravity feed when it's flipped on, and you are done.

This is the same thing I was going to have to do to my Strom when I was looking into an aux tank for it.

I was on sport touring.net today and the found a discussion about aux fuel tanks under the Iron butt section, look it up lots of info about setting up your bike and where to get needed parts

I rode from Sydney to Perth [yes Australia] return over Xmas [yes, thats our summer] and I hate stopping for fuel. It is a trip of 9,500km's [5,900mile] ...

Regards buelllord

That would have to be a heck of a big aux tank to get you 5900 miles! :rofl:

Just kidding, of course. We all know what you mean.

Can you put fuel into the tank via the vent line? Tricky. Actually, if you seal off the vent in the cap, you could siphon fuel into the tank as the fuel pump delivers it to the engine.
Use gas cans from a Ural

Just another bubble off the think tank - pun intended.

I remember seeing a guy who took a bandit tank, cut the top off and welded in what looked like a 2-3 inch section of sheet metal and welded the top back on. Ended up with around 7 gallons I think.

How much is it to put the bike on the train?

I take it the Bandit has it's fuel pump mounted inside the tank just like many other Suzuki's correct?

If so, the only way to get a true aux fuel feed into your tank it to drill and weld a threaded bung into the plate that holds the fuel pump inside the tank. Then you run a feed line from the aux tank of your choice, with an on/off valve somewhere in between and you are done. It will gravity feed when it's flipped on, and you are done.

This is the same thing I was going to have to do to my Strom when I was looking into an aux tank for it.

Warrior,

Thanks for the advise, you appear to be [after further research] the wise oracle as your suggestion appears to be the done thing.

Regards buelllord

I try..... LOL

On a serious note, I searched for months when I bought my Strom and that was pretty much the only way to do it on my bike. So I figured that yours might be a similar case. Glad I could be of some help.

I saw a set up yesterday at one of our service stations along the interstate. He had an alu 3 gallon tank on the back of the bike with an electric pump and little 3/8" hose. When he ran it down to needing gas, he just open the cap on the tank, ran the hose, hit his little switch and pumped the back tank into the main tank. I told him that was cute. His bike being a Harley Sportster from Florida headed for Arizona.

That's close to the setup that I have on my Strom, minus the pump. Lucky for me, the tail of my bike is higher than the tank so it just gravity feeds into the tank.

IMG_2268.jpg

Back