• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EXO 400 Noise issue...

jsb223

Reaction score
First Name
jsb223
If you are like me and like the price point of the Scorpion EXO 400/700 line
of helmet with the included no fog visor, removable liner, and wide
variety of colors and designs available from plain to downright gnarley,
you like me might have been dealing with a few issues regarding
noise and the often reported water intrusion.

While I have never experienced the water intrusion issue, and this fix
is specifically targeted to address noise I suspect it might help
with the water intrusion issue as well.

While riding into a hard, steady wind behind a modest windscreen
I was experiencing the noise issue commonly addressed with the
EXO 400 / 700 series helmets.

I noticed than if I placed my hand on my helmet in a
position “over my ear”, the noise was reduced. This worked
on both the right and left sides.

I thought it might have been the shield securing mechanism
generating turbulence.

But when I tried both sides at the same time
(do not attempt this, this is your last warning) the noise level
was not reduced.

I also noticed than when I moved the visor three click up
from the closed position the helmet was very quiet.
As the securing mechanism does not rotate with the shield
it had to be something else.

So when I returned from my ride I took a look and there
it was staring me in the face. I have owned this helmet
for 3 years and never really looked at my helmet from
a noise generation point of view.

The area in the picture below highlighted in orange
catches wind and actually looks like a megaphone
does it actually amplify the sound??? I don't know but
it is pointing toward the direction of the ear. NOT GOOD.

exo400problem.jpg

Using a small piece of rubber seal similar to the one
pictured below I closed off the “megaphone” along
the top edge of the shield.

SEAL.jpg

Run the edging along the top edge on the shield from point “A” the hard plastic piece that forms the shield stop to point “B” the shield seal taking care not to intrude into the existing shield seal as to cause any deformation.

Just touching or a very small gap is okay. See pic below.

exo400fix.jpg

On a test ride the following day in the same conditions, this simple fix returned amazing results.

I don't own an EXO lid, but I am impressed with your method of analyzing and improving the problem. I will try a similar analysis on my helmet.

Nice fix but my exo-700 is one of the most quiet and waterproof helmets I have used. I like it more than my shoei or HJCs I used previously. You may have just had a model made on a friday afternoon at the factory.

I'm not so sure Wes that it's a one off. I have a EXO 1000 with the same issue and the water leak as well as a whistling shield.
I am doing mine this week, thanks Jsb 223.

my exo-700 is one of the most quiet and waterproof helmets I have used

+1

jsb223,

Maybe I misread your post but did you say your helmet is quiter with the face sheild open to the third notch?

I like to keep things simple so I'd just put tape across the sheild / helmet gap to test the theory before making a gasket.

Sounds like when your pushing one side of your helmet it's making for a better fitting helmet i.e. quiter helmet, at least on one side.

Good luck on your experiments.

How have your tests been going? My EXO 400 is the least noisy of all the helmets I have owned, including a very expensive Shoei RF series. I have tried to re-create the noise you've described with no luck. The worst I could get was a faint whistling if I turn face down and look at my tank at 70+ mph. The most noise I get is from under the helmet at speed. I generally ride without earplugs. I think you may have a lemon with a bad seal. I would not hesitate to buy this helmet again and/or recommend it to others.

Thanks for sharing the detailed info. I have both the EXO 400 and 700, the 400 is much newer and seems to be quieter than the 700. But the 700 moves more air.

I would like to know your final fix with a pic and where you got the rubber seal material.

Back