• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I35 alternate to OK city

Reaction score
I'm heading up on the zx12R from FtW to OK City & return tomorrow, and I want to avoid I-35.

How is 287 to 81 to 44 as an alternate? Any construction?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
James
Posted via Mobile Device

That is not a bad route. Several little burgs along the way and typical OK scenery. 44 used to be concrete and expansion joints, and toll. I've been told that recently surfaced though. But still probably better than 35. Have fun.

Sometimes from Austin we will take 281 to I-44 up just to avoid the mess that I-35 has become, especially on a Friday and timed that we would hit Fort Worth around rush hour. It takes about the same amount of time (maybe just a little longer) but it is a pretty relaxing drive compared to I-35 route. I also have an Oklahoma PikePass so the toll rod section goes pretty well. They have diamond ground most of the concrete section of I-44 so it is much smoother than it was a few years ago.

Back