• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Does anyone use a Wacom Tablet?

DFW_Warrior

Hmmmm.....
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
I'm thinking of getting this for someone's birthday, but was wondering if any of you have had some first hand experience with it? The web reviews seem to be pretty favorable of it, so I'm thinking it might be kind of neat to play with.

What do you think?
First choice:
http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen_touch.php

Second choice... mainly because it's kinda spendy.
http://www.wacom.com/intuos/

I have one and it's awesome. I don't use it near enough for what it cost but if you do, it's the only way to do that kind of stuff. It gives you soooooo much more control than you can get with an ordinary mouse.

I have a version that is slightly higher in the food chain and love it....if the person you are thinking of does any editing of photos or uses any computer drawing progrms I say get it.

if the person you are thinking of does any editing of photos or uses any computer drawing progrms I say get it.
Well, she doesn't yet.... she has always been into art of various forms such as painting, sketching, and what not. But recently she wants to get into digital art.

My other question would be is the price difference between the Bamboo, and the Intuos really be worth it? Or would bhe Bamboo suffice for an entry level digital artist? I know this is the photo forum, but I figured you guys would still have some really good input for me.

Yea, if she's into art she'll love it. The varying degrees of pressure are really key when using these. For example, instead of constantly having to change your brush size, you just press harder or softer.

I've used one for years. Had 2 different Intuos tablets before and went for the bamboo this time around. Bamboo is plenty for most people. It's less sensitive, but unless you are seriously doing some major retouching type work or painting and you've used one of the higher end ones - the bamboo is fine (ie you won't know what you're missing). Plus anything is light years better than a mouse.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ordered up a Bamboo and it should be here in a few days. Then it's time upgrading a computer so it can run some decent graphics software without crashing.....LOL

Following up on this.

Jdawg is going to buy me a tablet for Christmas or birthday this year. Which would be best? I am leaning toward Bamboo Fun.

That is probably one of their better ones. I got a Bamboo Pen for Rachel and so far so good. But I don't think they make a bad product.

Ok. THanks. I was going to ask Santa J for the higher end tablet (they now have a bluetooth one), but if the Fun is "good enough" then I will take the difference and add something to my list. :trust:

I've pondering getting a tablet so, so, SO many times and I still don't have one. One of the Houston folks with one should let me come by and test drive one :)

I'm still not even sure I could justify it, most of what I do isn't retouched and the retouching I do end up doing (if ever) is a few mouse clicks at most.

I've pondering getting a tablet so, so, SO many times and I still don't have one. One of the Houston folks with one should let me come by and test drive one :)

I'm still not even sure I could justify it, most of what I do isn't retouched and the retouching I do end up doing (if ever) is a few mouse clicks at most.

When you start taking portraits of older people whose skin is not as perfect as the girls you photograph you now, you will wish you had one!!! :lol2::rofl:

If you are up this way, I'll loan you mine.

Or you can try Rachel's I'm sure. Probably all for the low low price of maybe a short intro to photography lesson.:trust:

When you start taking portraits of older people whose skin is not as perfect as the girls you photograph you now, you will wish you had one!!! :lol2::rofl:

lol, I've taken portraits of "old" folk too! I just don't ever post them :)

If you are up this way, I'll loan you mine.

Or you can try Rachel's I'm sure. Probably all for the low low price of maybe a short intro to photography lesson.:trust:

Dude...I am right around the corner. :rider:

Thanks folks. I'll actually be up in Arlington over the break soooo :trust:

Dude...I am right around the corner. :rider:

Yeah, but you do more than enough for us.... so I feel bad for asking.:duck:

But if you ever are bored and have some free time, both of us would love to learn what the functions other than "auto" on the camera do. The downside to it, is that we only have point and shoots for now (might be a good thing since we still use auto all the time.):lol2:

Thanks folks. I'll actually be up in Arlington over the break soooo :trust:

I am off mon-wed each week and Sunday evenings....give me a holler and we can all (bill, Rachel, and myself) all get together and talk scoots and cameras one night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do! I'm probably caging it, since I'll be bringing different things to shoot (cameras, guns.. the usual), but I'm always up for any kind of shooting or scooting.

I did solve the problem with JDawg. I told him I couldn't fix the Cotton Bowl photos unless I got the right one for Christmas :)

We'll be up in Arlington at Jerry World for the TAMU-LSU (I gave up my ring when they fired RC and J is a HUGE LSU fan, so by default I am now and LSU fan) contest and I want to make sure we get some great shots.

Hey Mack, I work in Downtown Dallas tue-sat. If you want to borrow it, let me know when you are here. I'm on vacation starting next week, so if you wanted to meet up, give me a shout. It'll save me packing and moving it. Oh wait...my wife might have packed it already. I can find it easy though.

I want to get an Intuos4 Wireless, it is almost a must have for integrating Max renderings into photos of existing conditions. Just real hard to be that precise with a mouse.

Back