• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Favorite routes in far east texas

Siah

Reaction score
Hey all, trying to figure out some scenic, preferably windy routes around east texas. Went on an hour and a half ride around lake o the pines last night and loved it and was wondering if anyone knew of more routes like it:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...94688&sspn=0.195436,0.298004&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=12

It was really nice. There's a few roads out towards gilmer I was curious about, specifically bob o link road, and FM 555 and 1649 back out towards lake o the pines.

Let me know if you have any thoughts/suggestions.

555, 1649, 1002, 1975, and lots others are relatively twisty and quite scenic. The road surfaces are crumbling a bit in places - especially in light of the harsh winter. Great roads around Rusk, Jacksonville and Palestine also. It's not Arkansas but very convenient.:rider:

TONS of fun roads down by Carthage, Henderson, Nacogdoches, Center, San Augustine, Hemphill and Burkeville. You could easily spend a few days hitting all of them. A nice over night destination is Hodges Gardens. I've been there numerous times and it has always been very enjoyable.

Siah, from Longview, circle toward Tatum on any of the FM roads through Gregg County, then head southeast towards Logansport, LA. Virtually every FM road down there is fun. then take FM 31 all the way back to Marshall.
Hwy. 21 between Nacogdoches and San Augustine is plenty twisty. Hwy. 96 between Center and San Augustine is wide sweepers and beautiful.

FM 315 south from Brownsboro to Palestine is a bit out of your way but it's a great ride.

They're not ALL good, but a bunch of 'em are.

Plus what txbanditrydr said.:clap:

Lots of good roads around here, but the absolute best is TX 87 , especially the stretch between Hemphill and Burkeville.

Lots of good roads around here, but the absolute best is TX 87 , especially the stretch between Hemphill and Burkeville.

:tab I was just out there a little over a week ago and they have put down that grey gravel patch stuff in many places. It was so thick that in places it was piled up between the tire tracks. Hitting that at any speed while leaned over is quite the pucker inducer :eek2: Once all the loose stuff is knocked off the road, and assuming they don't put down any more, it is indeed a great ride. DPS know this though and I usually see at least one or more patrolling that section every time I go out there.

Thanks for the great suggestions...laying all this out in google maps...i might save it and post it up. If anyone is free this weekend I'll probably be out riding sunday and monday if you want to try these out.

I recently rode on FM 138, east from Center - excellent choice. The chip seal has been down long enough to not be a problem, other than some easily seen gravel in a few spots.

I would suggest a slight change: On your route south on Hwy 7, when you get to Chireno, go south on FM 95 to Hwy 103, then east to FM 1277 on up to your route in San Angelo. That stretch of Hwy 21 you would miss just ain't that much fun.

I recently rode on FM 138, east from Center - excellent choice. The chip seal has been down long enough to not be a problem, other than some easily seen gravel in a few spots.

I would suggest a slight change: On your route south on Hwy 7, when you get to Chireno, go south on FM 95 to Hwy 103, then east to FM 1277 on up to your route in San Angelo. That stretch of Hwy 21 you would miss just ain't that much fun.

I should have seen that. Thanks!

Actually the pin shows the Shelbyville community..The marina is at the dead end of F.M. 2694 east of Huxley...The road runs right into Toledo Bend as a few folks unfamiliar with the area have found out...:rofl:

Old post but I'll wake it up again----
Looking at Lone Star as a starting place hwy 250 to Hughes Springs to Marietta ,1399 to Linden,1841 to Bivins,248 to Jefferson,729 back to Lone Star....A little less than 100 miles by guesstimate.Could split into two rides by going 11 from Linden to Hughes springs.May try it early next week.I live near 155-259 Catfish Vllage area so it's real handy for me,being retired helps too..Ed

Back