• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Clutches wont engage on 84 700kawasaki

Reaction score
:-( I have this bike that was going fine, went to put in gas then it would not go..has to walk home and get the trk, load it up,was late for work . got home, checked the clutches, the neutral switch and the electronic kill switch on the kick stand and all seems to be fine, but clutches will not engage even though it starts...... If someone could help with what may be the problem I would appreciate as, havent rode bike all week and usually ride to work. Thanks, Rick. :angryfir:

hey. so by what u are saying, that u pull in the clutch and it does nothing?
when u kick the bike into gear even with the clutch pulled in does the bike jump and die like no clutch at all? Or are u pulling in the clutch and the bike just does not go into gear?
am guessing your bike has a clutch cable and not a hydrolic line. follow the clutch cable to where it goes into the case, when u pull it does it move at the case?
if your clutch goes out u SHOULD be able to still ride the bike, just get the bike rolling and kick the shifter into first, it will jump abit but u should be able to get it moving, and then if u have to stop just get it into neutral before u stop top keep the bike from dying.

reply to train460

when i kick the bike in gear, and pull the clutch, it doesnt jump and die it just dies automatically when i pull the clutch like no power was even there, and i cannot even push start it by the clutches being off, as when I kick the gear down it dies and there seems to be an automatic kill switch btwn the gearshift and the throttle cable. any more info available, HELP :-( Rick

ok. if u pull in the clutch with the bike running. as soon as u put the bike in gear it dies. It is your kickstand switch most likely. dumb question but did u make sure the kickstand is up?

if so, look down on your side stand, there should be a little switch attached to it. chances are that is what is giving u the problem.
u can bypass it or get u another one

okay i bypassed switch on kickstand and now it stays running when letting clutch go but will not engage, is not dying now but wont go.???? i am going to go bald.........

hydraulic or cable clutch? Cable could be out of adjustment, bad cable, hydraulic fluid low, air in the line.

momma_of2miracles said:
okay i bypassed switch on kickstand and now it stays running when letting clutch go but will not engage, is not dying now but wont go.???? i am going to go bald.........

i am stumped. U can't get it to go into gear at all?
nothing up or down? even if it is not running?
myself have never heard of this happening but i guess anything is possible.
Michael

hey , it will go into 1st but it still wont move,,,,, and havent tried it not running??? hit me with a dumb stick eh, i am not getting it, what is the deal.. miss my bike, rick.

If it is chain drive you need to check and see if splines are stripped in front sprocket , where the chain attaches to engine , it should have a cover with 2 or 3 screws holding it on . SEYA

Thanks all, think I figured it all out, seems to wrk now, few minor things, spacers were off, and springs stuck, hope it all wrks now. take care all, Laurie

Back