• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shandra - Jim's "Sleepy Weasel" Girlfriend

Adan

Reaction score
Praying for a quick recovery.

Peeled-off from a group ride this afternoon after seeing Jim "Sleepy Weasel" on the side of the road with two DPS troopers. Something about the scene just didn't seem right, so I decided to turn around. It turns out his GF left the road (I35) at the bend just south of Valley View (N. of Denton) and was flown to a FW hospital. I decided to ride back to Lewisville with Jim for moral support. I'd very devastaded had I just been in his shoes. He was droping off his bike and jumping on the truck to go see his GF. I hope she recovers quickly. I don't have his number, so someone that does please call him and let us know how she is doing.

Jim: Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Jim,
Sorry to hear about the spill. We are wishing your girlfriend (What's her name?) a speedy recovery. If you need anything, let us know.

Pete

Just got Shandra home from the hospital. No breaks, or bleeding. Bruises and such mainly. She was extremely lucky.

This was the classic MC single vehicle accident, slung off the outside of a right-hander and onto the median. I didn't see it, but my guess is she wasn't leaned enough for the curve, so she drifted wide until she hit the warning strip, which got the bike squirrely. It appears she lowsided it and separated from the bike. Both she and the bike took a few tumbles, but at least the bike was ahead of her. Her helmet didn't do much for her because she had the chinstrap too loose, so at some point, looks like the face down phase of one of her tumbles, the chinbar grabbed dirt and ripped the helmet off her head, with the strap scraping past her chin. It was still buckled when it stopped rolling.

The rest of her stuff held up pretty well. It was a good thing she was on dirt by the time it dumped her. Didn't even tear up her jeans, at what I'm guessing was 65 to 70mph. If she'd have lost it 2 seconds sooner, it would have been another story, as she went offroad just past the end of a concrete barrier and a wooden warning sign. From the placement of the plastic shards, looks like she missed the sign by 1 or 2 feet.

By the time I could get turned around, there were half a dozen people pulled over to help. Luckily 3 or 4 off duty paramedics showed up before the guys with lights and sirens got there. Lots of other people, too, maybe a dozen by the time the first police car arrived, but it was really comforting to have trained professionals there while we waited.
She was conscious and lucid the whole time, so they felt comfortable giving her something for the pain in the ambulance while they waited for the helo.

Well, I'm beat. Lost track of how long we were at the hospital. Tomorrow I've taken the day off to get her prescription, etc. Looks like everything except the bike will recover quickly, though.

Thanks to Adan for making sure I got home ok. There were more than a few times that I found my mind wandering off until I caught a glimpse of his 27 headlights in the mirror. Thanks also for the support of the folks on TWT. I wish I could thank the dozen unofficial "first responders" as well. Kind of makes you wonder where all the screwed up jerks must come from when so many strangers will jump to your aid at a moments notice.

Wow, thanks for the details. After Adan's post, I am sure that there were a few of us that were very concerned.

I suspect that she will be quite sore later today. Thank God it is just going to be sore. How does Shandra feel about it? I hope that it hasn't scared her from motorcycles completely.

I saw you on the forum here late last night and kept looking for one of those dark blue helmets to show you had left a report, but I never saw anything change until this morning.

And, I hope that you (James) are doing OK, also. Hang in there, and carefully give Shandra a hug for us. (carefully!)

Sleepy Weasel said:
No breaks, or bleeding. Bruises and such mainly. She was extremely lucky.

:dude: That's great news!!

Sounds like Shandra's Guardian Angel :angel: did a great job!

It's a big relief to hear that Shandra came through her tumble with so well. When I logged off yesterday, Pete's was the last post here, so I could only guess at what had happened. You two take it easy today!

Wow, that sounds pretty similar to what happened to me and my 250. I'm guessing (from experience) that the bike was probably too light for her. If I had to do it all over again I would have started on a Ninja 500.

Glad to hear there were no breaks or anything, I remember the feeling of separating from my bike and tumbling....fortunately at the time it doesn't hurt, just when everything calms down.

Hopefully she'll get back on and ride again :chug:

Kim

Sleepy Weasel said:
Just got Shandra home from the hospital. No breaks, or bleeding. Bruises and such mainly. She was extremely lucky.

This was the classic MC single vehicle accident, slung off the outside of a right-hander and onto the median. I didn't see it, but my guess is she wasn't leaned enough for the curve, so she drifted wide until she hit the warning strip, which got the bike squirrely. It appears she lowsided it and separated from the bike. Both she and the bike took a few tumbles, but at least the bike was ahead of her. Her helmet didn't do much for her because she had the chinstrap too loose, so at some point, looks like the face down phase of one of her tumbles, the chinbar grabbed dirt and ripped the helmet off her head, with the strap scraping past her chin. It was still buckled when it stopped rolling.

The rest of her stuff held up pretty well. It was a good thing she was on dirt by the time it dumped her. Didn't even tear up her jeans, at what I'm guessing was 65 to 70mph. If she'd have lost it 2 seconds sooner, it would have been another story, as she went offroad just past the end of a concrete barrier and a wooden warning sign. From the placement of the plastic shards, looks like she missed the sign by 1 or 2 feet.

By the time I could get turned around, there were half a dozen people pulled over to help. Luckily 3 or 4 off duty paramedics showed up before the guys with lights and sirens got there. Lots of other people, too, maybe a dozen by the time the first police car arrived, but it was really comforting to have trained professionals there while we waited.
She was conscious and lucid the whole time, so they felt comfortable giving her something for the pain in the ambulance while they waited for the helo.

Well, I'm beat. Lost track of how long we were at the hospital. Tomorrow I've taken the day off to get her prescription, etc. Looks like everything except the bike will recover quickly, though.

Thanks to Adan for making sure I got home ok. There were more than a few times that I found my mind wandering off until I caught a glimpse of his 27 headlights in the mirror. Thanks also for the support of the folks on TWT. I wish I could thank the dozen unofficial "first responders" as well. Kind of makes you wonder where all the screwed up jerks must come from when so many strangers will jump to your aid at a moments notice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Man, what good luck. Looks like her good luck really overpowered her bad luck. She apparantly got her body rolling, instead of tipping end over end, of which breaks stuff. <> I know it, I worry about my two daughters, who ride 600 Shadows. It's the curves, that usually causes problems. This is for any of us. But, the gals, to me, might just be a little more likely to panic, when misJudging speed when already they're in the curve.<>
I read some report, saying that more accidents on Bikes, are Solo, no other vehicles involved.<>I think we normally are concerned about some cage running us down, but this report said, not the case, it's Riders, not making the curves. Anyone ever heard it ths way?
<>I am thankful that She's already home, and she's gonna be awright.
I bet she has thanked her Lucky Stars. (smile) (willieT)

Jim, so glad Shandra is ok! I was very worried yesterday, even called Adán to see if he had details... Hope she recovers fully soon.

Hey Jim, just learned of Shandra's incident. Sounds like some good and bad luck. I hope she will heal up OK.
Let me know if I can help you two, PM or cell phone.

Larry

wonder91178 said:
Wow, that sounds pretty similar to what happened to me and my 250. I'm guessing (from experience) that the bike was probably too light for her. If I had to do it all over again I would have started on a Ninja 500.

I'm not sure that theory would work for her. She's got pretty short legs, and a larger bike would have just made her feel that much more uneasy on the low speed stuff, taking it in and out of the garage, etc. I think it would have made her less likely to get out there and get riding experience.

I'm heading up to pick up the bike this afternoon. She's already said "It may be a while before I'm ready to ride again." so she hasn't decided to quit. I think we'll be looking at the feasibility of putting the 250 back together.

Sleepy Weasel said:
wonder91178 said:

I'm not sure that theory would work for her. She's got pretty short legs, and a larger bike would have just made her feel that much more uneasy on the low speed stuff, taking it in and out of the garage, etc. I think it would have made her less likely to get out there and get riding experience.

I'm heading up to pick up the bike this afternoon. She's already said "It may be a while before I'm ready to ride again." so she hasn't decided to quit. I think we'll be looking at the feasibility of putting the 250 back together.

Well I just meant bike weight-wise...the little 250 gets tossed around, especially with a small person on it (I'm 5'3"). Not to mention 250 tires are crap.

I hope it doesn't stop her from wanting to ride, I say getting the wreck out of the way early is a good thing (at least, that is what Squidward says LOL) :-D

Kim

Well, Jetblue helped us out with some chain maintenance last week and thought the tires might be a little "tired." Almost a 6 year old bike, only 3800 miles on it, so we're looking at about 6 year old tires. We were planning to look around for a new set, but didn't get that far.

Glad to hear she is fine. Get her some riding pants! And make sure future chin straps are just a bit tighter ;-) That could have been really ugly. Please let her know we are all pulling for her to have a speedy recovery, physically and mentally!

From Shandra. Thank you!!!

Brand new member here!

I'm Shandra, Sleepy's GF, who had the accident Sunday morning.

Just wanted to say Thank You for thinking of me, and praying for me while I was down and the support given to Jim while he found out what was going on with me. I know he appreciates it as well.

It could have been so much worse and I'm very thankful and lucky to have escaped more serious injuries. The gear I wore did it's job. As for the helmet, it did its job until it came off.

I'm bruised, sore, stiff and scraped up, but I'm walking and talking and I will try to go to work tomorrow.

My right knee is very bruised and still quite swollen. My left shoulder seems to have been slightly seperated. I can't hold much with that arm. I have some scraps along my forehead and my chin, and one on my neck. I have little bruises all over.

I need a nap. My version of the accident later...

MuddyPaws --> Shandra

Talk about making a dramatic entrance! ;-)

Glad to hear you're doing O.K. 8-)

Welcome, Shandra,

Glad to have you here! "dramatic entrance" is right! We were very relieved to find that you had gone home that night and didn't have to stay in the hospital. Which one did they take you to, BTW (by-the-way)?

Will you be having the knee and shoulder looked at a little closer or do they think it will all mend on its own (young folks bodies can do that, it's us old geezers that need extra help).

Hope to meet you sometime - maybe next Wednesday when East meets West. Heck - drive the car - give yourself time to heal!

God bless & God speed.

Adan said:
Great to hear from you Shandra

One more thing - excellent eyes on Sunday, Adan!
Good job with the help! You rock!
dance.gif

Shandra, it's great to hear from you after your spill. Glad it wasn't worse than it was.

Shandra

If Jim was telling you to put your knee down in a corner, I don't think this is what he meant!

Seriously, thanks much for posting, it is a relief to hear you are doing well. I will be heading up to meet Jim in a few weeks (we have some "business" to attend to), I hope we get a chance to meet. Heck, I owe you and Jim lunch somewhere, so scope out a good BBQ or something so we can break bread.

And take care of Jim as well, despite being steadfast, I know he must have been really upset. Both of you take it easy for the time being, OK?

Cheers! M2

Good to hear from you Ms Paws, I hope you heal quickly.
You are one lucky girl from what I hear.
Feel better soon.

Back