• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The old windscreen question...please help!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Need a new windscreen. Stock, kills my neck and ruins my ears.
I'm 1,86 m ( 6,1 " isn't it? ) and woul apreciate some assistance \ advice on this subject. I'm considering MRA Variotouring screen and Givi windscreen.
Anyone with my height with the same problem? What was your choice?
Thanks in advance.

Im 6'2" and use the Suzuki touring windshield and it works great for me but there doesnt seem to be a universal answer and many have spent tons o cash trying for the perfect answer for themselves.

guess I should look at the forum. I see it's bandits. There was a thread where BigJim??? modified his shield.

Welcome to the site my friend, a lot of good information here. I'm about your height at 6' 0' and I'm happy with a Givi Windscreen D262S. It is 11.6cm or 4.6" inches taller than the stock shield.
There are probably other windscreens out there as well. But I'm happy with this one. Try using some ear plugs to quiet things down a bit.

:rider:

Welcome to TWTex!
You should definitely wear earplugs - not because of noise but because the wind turbulence will damage your ears.

I'm 5'10" and really like the Holeshot/Skidmarx Double Bubble. Here is my installation write-up.

I'm 6 feet tall and I have tried Zero Gravity Sport Touring windshield for 2000 miles and Suzuki Touring windshield for 1000 miles. They both create turbulence around my helmet and I like neither of them very much. I will someday try the ZX14 laminar lip mounted on the Zero Gravity windscreen or the robobracket.

My bike is a Bandit 1250 SA K8.
I do wear earplugs...and i have a " top of the pops " helmet: Schubert C3. Nevertheless, it's difficult to stand the noise.
I found myself, after a few miles, bending my back just to avoid some of the wind turbulence. Altough, i must admit, i tend to adopt average cruise speeds between 160 km/h and 180km/h. I know that it's a bit fast but the bike just...well you know, it's almost like trying to be faithful living in the Playboy Mansion...
Thanks for all of your replies! All your comments are precious to me.
Feel free to add whatever you think is usefull.

I'm 5'11" and have the Givi screen on my Bandit. It gives me a little more protection than the stock screen, but regardless of how good a windscreen is I would say that earplugs are A MUST.

From what I've read so far there really isn't a unanimous decision on 'the best' screen out there; especially since everyone has different expectations. But the search continues....

What works for some stranger on one corner of the world, may not work for another.....

Seating position, handlebar position, torso length/height, arm length, jacket, helmet..... they all contribute to percieved levels of comfort.

Schubert helmet, WOW, "best & quietest helmet around"!
Earplugs, don't leave home without 'em!
"Protection" & comfort from anything other than a HUGE shower door of a windshield is problematic unless you bought a Gold Wing or Electra Glide.... they have it sorted out. But you bought a Sport Touring bike, one of the things you willingly entered into was a compromise of comfort.

Through trial & error AND lots of money buying THIS shield or THAT, you may or may not find what you're looking for. The ONLY answer is this brilliant design by Madstad. You can adjust it's height and angle to suit YOUR particular needs:
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.232/.f

Anything else is simply a shot in the dark.....

Fitty,
I fully subscribe what you're saying. I even add, if you don't want noise, wind, hot or cold just...use your car! :)
I'm only trying to upgrade what i honestly think that is a great two wheels companion.
I think i'll give a try to the MRA. Lets just see what the dealer says about price and availability...
The Madstad is just too much for me...

That's it!
Called the dealer and made an order; MRA it is!
Price: 119.90 €
Availability: 5 wd from the date of the order ( order from the dealer and not from the customer; like the orders are made every Friday... ).
Hope it works fine...

I would be inclined to try the MRA Vario myself..., that MadStad is MAD MONEY!

I seem to be happy with what the Suzuki "Touring" does for me. I like the way it looks, and am accustom to the wind hitting my shoulders/helmet.

I even add, if you don't want noise, ...use your car! :)

I sometimes wear my ear plugs in my truck to some of the highways. Very loud relationship with the tires. ;-). Seems the more I drive in the sounds of silence mode, the more I hate noise. But then, I worked in a high noise environment most of my life. Drilling rigs, compressors, big engines. Probably the reason I cn still hear pretty good at 67 years is my passion for hearing protection. ;-)

Back