• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Histograms - Reading/Understanding/Using them...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Having shot an airshow this past weekend, I had the basics down (I think...) for using exposure compensation to bring the aircraft out against a bright sky. NitroRoo mentioned the Histogram display and honestly, I haven't investigated how that works or what the information presented is really telling me. I know "blinkie-blinkie is bad", but that's about it.

So..... can the more experienced with this feature chime in on how one reads and interprets the information, and what changes are made to bring the image more in-line regarding a proper exposure?

Depending on your camera you will have a RGB histogram and a brightness histogram. Start off learning your brightness histogram. This will indicate the brightness level of the exposure. Horizontally, left is darker & right is brighter. Vertically, the height of the peaks will indicate how many pixels in that range.

For starters, try to get the peaks towards the middle of the histogram. If anything, a little brighter is better as it is easier to darken in post, than it is to brighten.

RGB histogram works the same, but with the respective colors.

Your camera may have "blinkies". Once you make the exposure, check your LCD. Any areas that are overexposed will "blink".

The issue with a bright sky is that if you take the reading from the sky, you might underexpose the subject, and vice-versa.

However, depending on what you are shooting you might not want a "0" exposure.

Check out Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It will help you understand exposure a lot better.

Back