• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Russell Day Long in Leather or Vinyl??

Tesla

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
About to ship off my FJR seat to Russell for a new seat next weekend but something is really bothering me. Should I go vinyl or leather? Someone remarked on another forum that he has never heard of someone that had leather that wished they had got vinyl instead. Leather is supposed to breath better, look better, more comfortable, etc.....but....is not water proof. I've only had vinyl seats and they seem to work for me just fine, also, I can't miss what I've never had. Never gotten it wet so water proofing maybe a non issue but its nice to know that water won't affect it if it did get wet. What do yall think? The leather seat I'm leaning toward has a water proof barrier bag in case it rains which would help but what if I'm riding in a frog strangler and don't want to pull over. Does the seat get very wet with the rider sitting on it? Leather is what I want but the appeal of no maintenance vinyl is appealing.

Mine is leather on the seating surface, and vinyl on the side panels.
The seat will come with a rain cover.

Don't be afraid of getting the leather wet. Mine is leather (Diff brand, not Russell) I have not treated it any different than the vinyl that was on it. It has seen at least three all day rain rides. If your thinking you want leather get it. Otherwise it's going to always be in the back of your mind, what would it have been like if I had only gotten the leather.:doh: Just my two cents worth.

Just called Russell and the guy answering said he had leather but wished he had vinyl. He might be the first one that has said that but then his sits out in the hot sun and bakes which is causing premature age. Mine is a garage queen and unfortunately I am just a recreational rider. Just can't bring myself to commute in DFW rush hour traffic with 30 miles each way.

Janet, do the side panels and the seating surface look the same or is there a color/texture difference?

1 Wheel, I agree with what your saying.

Janet, do the side panels and the seating surface look the same or is there a color/texture difference?

They look just alike. Remember the leather will wear and wrinkle. The side panels will be scrunched up when you are sitting on the seat. I am happy with the two different materials.
As far as the leather seating surface, I try to put the rain cover on if it is going to be parked overnight and it's supposed to rain. There have been many times though where it rained unexpectedly, the sprinklers came on, or it snowed 4 inches over night. :doh:
I just brush the water out of the seat and go. I put some baseball glove conditioner on it every now and then. It's fine.

I have a Rick Mayer on mine and its all vinyl, Rick is the son of Russell
the originator of the Day long Saddle and he started his own business after
his dad sold the Russell Day long company. May want to give him a shout as well.

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

Leather for comfort (does take a while to conform)
Vinyl for low maintenance.

I have Leather on my FZ wonderful
I have Vinyl on my FJR It works just fine

That said either is good
as with everything there are pluses and minuses.

+1 or more on Rick Mayer's saddles

If it is going to be covered most of the time I would go with leather.

I have the vinyl on mine and don't want for anything. Maybe my backside doesn't know the difference.

I have both vinyl and a leather Russell seats on two of my bikes. I am having them build me a seat for the Concours and it is going to be leather. I preferr the leather it seems cooler to me in the summer. It is about 8 years old and still looks pretty good.

Back