• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

View Google maps offline

R

Red Brown

Do you ever need to use Google Maps but did not have Internet connection at the time?

I found a gmapcatcher application that allows you to download desired section of Google maps for offline viewing and manipulation. It works with Win, OSX and Linux. :)

Now if you could just download Google Maps to an Open Source based standalone GPS unit, that would be an innovative product!

RB

Offline Google Maps used to be called "Microsoft Streets & Trips" ;)

FWIW, more and more phones are becoming GPS units, especially if they can run Google Maps (mobile).

Offline Google Maps used to be called "Microsoft Streets & Trips" ;)

FWIW, more and more phones are becoming GPS units, especially if they can run Google Maps (mobile).

You're right....GPS-enabled navigation devices are quickly becoming a commodity. I think Garmin lacks a sustainable competitive advantage. The United States Department of Defense controls the satellite system that enables GPS technology as we all know, and Garmin licenses maps from NAVTEQ (Nokia owned). Basically, Garmin delivers value by combining these technologies to a user-friendly consumer package that most of use to help assist in routing our special motorcycle routes or whatever activity you engage that requires GPS technology.

More cellular phones as you suggest threaten to displace stand-alone portable navigation devices like our Garmins. As converged devices (cellular phones that offer GPS-enabled features) continue to improve, consumers have less motivation to spend additional money on a separate GPS. That is why Garmin is trying to get in the game with the Nuviphone, but review of the early version faired poorly.

For me though, Garmin has the extra features that make it work quite well on motorcycles. I don't think I have seen many fellow riders using GPS enabled cell phone for navigating. For one the screens are small and if you go outside the roaming area etc, you are going to pay for the it $ sometimes.

With this free app, if your traveling in some small town with no net access or overseas, you can access Google Maps easily (just like using gmail with Google Gears for off-line use). There is of course:

OpenGTS - Open GPS Tracking System

But for most people, the Garmin system seems to work quite well.

BTW, just announced...the GPS system is going to get a major upgrade from the US government.

For all those Libertarians that dislike government, they sure do love the GPS technology that enables them to enjoy their outdoor hobbies. :)

RB

I have Google Maps (w/Navigation) on my Moto Droid, and it works quite nicely. Still lacks some features that the stand-alone GPS-units have. Specifically the ability to add stops along the route, reroute around a problem (construction, accident, etc)

If somebody would make a google-maps driven GPS with a data link for up-to-date POIs, it'd sell like hot cakes.
Make it waterproof and glove-friendly, and they'd have me as a customer

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I wanted to point out that a recent version of the Google Maps app now allows off-line caching of map data.

Also, there's a great mapping app called Maverick that allows you to pre-load maps from Google, Bing, OpenStreetMaps, and several other sources, and has great tracklog features. Maverick does not do navigation, but is designed to work off-line, so you can turn off you phone's radio and save batteries while still seeing where in the world you are.

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I wanted to point out that a recent version of the Google Maps app now allows off-line caching of map data.

Also, there's a great mapping app called Maverick that allows you to pre-load maps from Google, Bing, OpenStreetMaps, and several other sources, and has great tracklog features. Maverick does not do navigation, but is designed to work off-line, so you can turn off you phone's radio and save batteries while still seeing where in the world you are.

Thanks!

Just the ticket for free topo maps anywhere! I think the pro version (paid) version offers all of the above benefits. To do such GPS enabled navigation off-line is a brilliant idea.

Below is a screen capture of part of the Maverick menu on Android.

izn.cs.jpg

RB

Now if my phones battery would just handle running the GPS for long enough to be of use

Back