• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Trip Report] Eureka Springs, Ar., 08/24/03 - 08/28/03

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab Trip report will be forthcoming. For now, here are the pics.

http://www.twtex.com/linkfiles/082403Ark/

SUNDAY

:tab I had planned a trip out to North Carolina for the upcoming week. It got canned :( So with a week free and needing some time alone with Beth to decompress from recent events, we decide to take off for Arkansas with just the two of us and spend a week relaxing and riding. I have intentionally made no plans and have left our schedule totally wide open. This can be a fun thing to do ocassionally.

:tab So Sunday morning I start packing. Beth is of course totally packed and ready to go and has been for the last few days. I don't pack well unless I am under the gun. Checking the weather, it appears as if this is going to be a warm ride. We are heading up to Dallas to spend the night with Brian and Lori Jones. This will give us a few hours jump on the ride up North and a nice chance to visit.

:tab Sometime around noon we finally get on the bikes and get rolling. It is hot, quite hot actually. Already the temperature is in the nineties and shows no signs of peaking. Our route takes us North along FM 247 to Midway at Hwy 21 where we pick up OSR and head to FM 1119. The air is hot and dry. Already I can feel the sweat running down my back under my jacket. We turn North and head out into the rolling pastures and scattered patches of woods. We seem to be the only people on the roads.

:tab At FM 977 we turn West. This is a road that I have only recently discovered. Amazing how such a nice road can be almost right in my backyard for all these years I only now I take time to notice it. :| We rode it just yesterday on a TWT day ride. It has some really nice curves and runs through some very scenic countryside. Beth missed it yesterday as she cut out early from the ride so this is the chance for her to see it for herself. The hills roll lazily over the horizon, the road wandering over and around them. Sections of the road are covered with the branches of trees making a shaded tunnel for us, a nice break from the baking sun.

:tab When we reach FM 3 we turn North again. Once again, we are venturing into unfamiliar territory. I've been on FM 3 South of here and it is really a nice ride down to Normangee with some really good curves and elevation changes. The run North is not quite as much fun, but it is still nice. It is short and only takes us a few minutes to reach US 79. We slab a few miles up to Marquez for a break. It feels really good to sit inside in some airconditioning sipping a Gatorade. Suiting back up into our gear always elicits strange looks from bystanders. I can just see the burning question they are dying to ask, "Aren't you hot in all the stuff!?" Fortunately, we are spared the questioning and are soon heading West on Hwy 7. The heat is on. We're reaching 100 F. :|

:tab Grab your Texas map and look at Hwy 7. It really is as straight and boring as it looks on the map. Thank God we are only on it for six or seven miles! We are running just South of Lake Limestone, a reservoir made from the Navasota River. We head Northwest on FM 937 up the West side of the reservoir. Bass boats abound in the yards of the homes along the roadside. The road consists of big long lazy sleepers, curves so gentle I'm barely able to notice the bike leaning. Once beyond FM 3371, it gets tighter and is actually quite fun. As is so often the case, the fun section is never long enough and this road is no different. It's a shame it is so far from anything else because it is a long way to ride for such a short slice of fun.

:tab As soon as the fun is over, we drop out onto Hwy 164 just East of Groesbeck. We cut through this small dusty town and head Northwest on FM 1245. Once we are West of Groesbeck, the trees really thin out and the scenery consists of grassy pastures and very gradual rolling hills. The combination of the droning of the bike, the dullness of the scenery and the heat is causing me to really have to work at maintaining my focus and not fading out. We hit a few decent corners, pass a few trucks, and eventually reach US 84. A mile or two West we pick up FM 339 and head Northwest once again, more of the same.

:tab We run FM 339 until we hit FM 308 and then head North. It is midafternoon and the temperature has been holding right around 101-102 F. We've been stopping for drinks along to way to stay hydrated. There's no point wearing ourselves out the first day of the trip. FM 308 is pretty much straight so we take off and make some time. However, it is not long before we come upon some serious construction, as in no pavement!! The entire road bed has been torn up and all that is left is loose gravel. This stretches for seven or eight miles and makes for a tense ride. The white dust from the road is coating everything including me. It is a great relief to finally be clear of it and to be able to get some wind blowing through my jacket again!

:tab Once clear of the gravel, we continue North on FM 308 all the way up to the sprawling metropolis of Maypearl at FM 66. We stop for another break, heading inside the gas station expecting to find cool air conditioning. Apparently the owner is trying to save money by keeping the thermostat set on 85 F!? After my fudgebomb and Gatorade, I step back outside to cool off a bit. At least in the parking lot there is a slight breeze that helps. We spend a few minutes chatting with a couple of local fellas on big Yamaha Road Stars. Beth is ready to "be there" and these guys give us the short and direct route to Cedar Hills.

:tab As we are gearing back up and saying goodbye to the other riders, Beth spots photo material for me. She's always on the look out for the kind of stuff I like to take pictures of. This time she has found a HUGE Banana Spider (I'm sure the proper latin name is Bigassspiderus Rex!) The web is right over the entrance to the store. I have to climb up on a bench to get close enough for some good pictures. This of course elicits a few odd looks from the proprietor and other customers. It is standing guard over it's egg sack. Enough pictures! I am already dripping down to my boots :shock:

:tab We head up FM 157 to Venus, the small town on US 67, not the planet, although it feels as hots as the planet 8) We run up US 67 to the exit for Brian and Lori's place and get in around 5:00pm-ish. It feels good to get off the bikes and get inside to cool off, and the cold beer is nice too :P

:tab Later in the evening after everyone has knocked off for the night, I am using Brian's computer to check in on the TWT site when I read the news that Nolan has succumbed to the brain tumor he's been fighting. While we were out riding and enjoying a beautiful day, he was fighting for his last few breaths as his family gathered around to say their final goodbyes. He was removed from life support and died shortly afterwards. The feelings in the moment I read this are indescribable. We had only just recently completed a fundraiser ride to help his family pay for the huge medical bills resulting from his experimental treatments. For nearly four weeks I had poured my time, energy and emotion into organizing the ride and seeking donations. Despite the odds, I was hoping somehow he might win the fight with the tumor. Here and now, seeing that it just ended so abrubtly, I was at a loss. How could a child whom I had never met affect me so much?

:tab It is a little after midnight, well before my normal bedtime, but the news of Nolan's passing has pretty much shut me down. I crawl into bed with Beth and hold her close. Again, it seems that I have been reminded of how time with our loved ones is so short and precious. Before drifting off to sleep, I pray for Nolan's family, thanking God for ending Nolan's suffering and asking Him to support the family as they move through the suffering of rebuilding their lives without Nolan's presence.

MONDAY

:tab Morning comes early. I have not slept well at all and was wide awake at 6:00am. For anyone that knows me, this is extremely unusual. It is not that I am particularly excited or nervous about our trip to Arkansas. After all, this is one of five trips to Arkansas this year. Rather than trying to fall back asleep, I decide to just get up, shower and get ready to go. The more I think about the day ahead and anticipate the heat in store for us, the thought of getting an early start sounds better and better. I wake Beth and she seems to agree with me.

:tab 7:00am and we are loaded and saying our goodbyes to Brian and Lori. As we head North into South Dallas on US 67, the sun is coming up on the horizon's edge, a huge brilliant glowing disc, and a sight I have literally seen only a handful of times in my entire life. Somehow, sitting here in bumper to bumper traffic sucking exhaust fumes and dodging sleeping cagers, seeing the sun come up just makes everything all better. Despite all the crazy stuff that goes on in our lives, the sun still comes up each day and life goes on. Now I am anxious to get out of the urban sprawl and onto some back roads!

:tab We hit I-20 and run around the South side of town to Loop 635 and head North up to I-30. Living in Huntsville has really spoiled me. I don't understand how anyone can take living in the DFW metromess when it comes to riding!? We've been on the road for only twenty or thirty minutes and already we've had several close calls because people are just being totally clueless about their driving. It is driving me nuts! Once we hit I-30 and start to head East against the inbound rush "hour" traffic, things lighten up and all I have to deal with is the morning sun right in my face 8)

:tab Once East of Greensville, we pick up Hwy 50/24 and head North. The sun is up off the horizon now and already the temperature is starting to climb. It is a little before 9:00am and already I am showing mid 80's F. The traffic is light, the sky is clear, the air is a little humid, and my head is clear. Thing's are looking good... too good... That is always a scary thing.

:tab When we reach Ladonia we encounter several detours as a result of road construction. On the North side of town, Hwy 50 is closed except to through traffic. Never having been up this way before I am reluctant to ride through. Oddly, right at this moment I feel an irresistable urge to moisten the local foliage :oops: This is one of those guy moments that drive Beth nuts. I spot a nice shrub next to a fence row to make my contribution to nature and we are back in business. Beth just rolls her eyes and huffs. The detour takes us East on FM 64 over to FM 904.

:tab As we are heading North on FM 904 through basically flat open pastures, we come upon a huge bloated cow carcass on the side of the road. The thought of that thing sitting here baking in the sun all day turns my stomach. The smell is already getting pretty bad. I am surprised that the local vultures have not already descended upon it. Perhaps they are waiting for it to finish cooking? :puke:

:tab After heading North a few more miles, we come to yet another road closed sign. It seems now that we have only one alternative and we head back East on FM 1550 to come back out on Hwy 50. A few miles out of the way and richer for the experience... NOT!!, we are heading North again on Hwy 50 looking for Honey Grove. We make a quick stop here because Beth does not feel as one with nature as I do and would prefer to use indoor plumbing :P Then we head North on FM 100 into the Caddo National Grassland. The name pretty much sums up the area. The road is nice, mostly straight, and gently rises and falls over huge expanses of nothing but pastures, the only trees being the ones in yards and along the fence rows. Cattle and hay bales abound.

:tab We turn East on FM 2216 and leave the National Grassland area. Other than seeing the sign, there is not a lot to inform us that we have left the area. A few miles out, we turn North once again on FM 2352. Here the road actually starts to rise and fall a little quicker and the curves come more often. What few clouds have been lingering in the sky have begun to whisp away. The late morning heat is starting to come on now as the temperature is rapidly climbing into the 90's F.

:tab FM 2352 dumps out into FM 79 and we turn Northish. More of the same. I find my mind wandering to Nolan's Mom, wondering how she is doing, how the other siblings are doing, how unfair it seems that I am out here having fun while they are suffering such grief. Ironically, it really makes me appreciate the riding I get to do even more so. With a check of the mirror, I see Beth contentedly buzzing along behind me on her VFR. I'm sure our recent miscarriage is weighing heavily on her heart.

:tab When we reach FM 197 we turn East and follow the Red River valley. Here the road gets more fun and the scenery improves. The hills are higher and closer together, the curves are faster and are typically marked at around 45 mph. The woods have thickened and rays of sunlight pierce the over head canopy making shafts of light that strike the ground. Passing through it creates almost a strobe like effect, at times making it difficult to see the road ahead.

:tab While dealing with another patch of sun shafts, I crest a hill and spot two Horses in the road, one the obvious mother and the other a youngster not much larger than the bike. At the sound of the VFR's gear driven cams, they start and run into the ditch. I glance back as Beth comes upon them and they start running parallel to the road. I fear they may dart out into the road in front of Beth, but she gets by them without any trouble and we continue on our way. The rest of the ride passes quickly and we reach US 271 just South of the Oklahoma border.

:tab It is pushing 11:00am and we've not had breakfast. For me this is no big deal as I usually don't eat my first meal of the day until around 2:00pm. But for Beth, this is about her normal lunch time. So I figure she has to be getting hungry. There does not appear to be anywhere good to stop so we just make for Hugo on the other side of the border a few miles.

:tab We ride across the Red River into Oklahoma and enter the Choctaw Indian Nation. The highway is just a big four lane sleeper. I keep the pace sane as I seem to recall seeing a LOT of State Troopers patrolling the last time I was in Oklahoma back in June of this year. The terrain here is about as exciting as the highway. There are some low rolling hills and ocassional clusters of trees, but for the most part is is just grasslands as far as I can see.

:tab Wanting to find a place to eat, we head into Hugo's downtown. Like so many small towns, it looks like it used to be a thriving community with prospects of a bright future. That has long since been replaced with a stagnant economy, faded and peeling paint on the downtown buildings, and bumpy old roads. It doesn't look as if a new building has been erected here in several decades.

:tab We round a corner and cross some railroad tracks and I spot a little cafe on the left side of the road. What the heck? Trips are all about exploring the unknown, here's a chance to venture into the gastrointestinal jungle. So we pull in on a side street, then wander over to see what awaits us. We've found the Busy Bee Cafe. Is there some kind of rule that every town has to have a cafe by this name? I see them all over the place. It feels good to get inside. The decor is not fancy but their airconditioner works great! There is a single counter that runs the length of the tiny building with about ten stools, nothing else. The smell of greasy burgers hangs in the air... and clings to the walls and counters as well it seems :lol:

:tab We get some strange looks from the locals because of our riding gear but we've long since gotten used to such reactions. We take a seat at the counter and look over the menu. The fellow sitting next to me recommends the burgers. He informs me that he's a truck driver and that if he is anywhere near this town, he'll swing out of the way just to come over and eat here. So I've got a hearty thumbs up for the burger. Of course if this guy is a trucker, he spends a good deal of his time eating in truck stops... not exactly icons of gastric greatness! He tells me that the burgers are even better with the onions grilled and right at that moment, I hear the sizzle of onions hitting the grill and catch the smell. I'm hooked.

:tab We place our orders, burgers with grilled onions and fries. While waiting we chat with a few of the locals, "where you from, where you headed, watcha ridin', aren't you hot in all that stuff?" Then the waitress sets a huge burger in front of me. Now anyone that has ever ridden with me knows that I don't make a habit of chowing on big heavy meals while on the road. My standard fare is usually a grilled cheese sandwhich and a drink. The thought that I might be able to pack this greasy beastie away is daunting. A few minutes later I am tucking the last bite away... I'm going to have to remember this place for future trips. Stuffed and worried about getting sleepy, we waddle out the door and head for the bikes.

:tab We get back on the road and head West out of town on US 271. The road turns North a few miles out and heads out over gentle rolling hills. Pastures are all I can see for mile upon mile. Surprisingly there isn't much in the way of wind. We eventually cross under the Indian Nation Turnpike and US 271 makes a bend to the East and runs along a shallow valley of the Western edge of the Ouachita Mountains. Unfortunately, it is not a twisty ride as the valley is quite straight. However, there are woods on each side of the road so it is a nice ride.

:tab A little over an hour later we arrive in Talihena, another tiny town doing its' best not to fade away into the countryside and into forgotten memories. We make a quick stop for gas and a rest break before we head up to the start of the Talimena Scenic Byway. The few miles outside of town before we reach Ok Hwy 1 are kind of fun. US 271 makes big sweeping curves up the mountain side. We reach the turn off for Hwy 1 and head East on the Byway.

:tab I was hoping it would cool off a little as we get up onto the ridge, but this is not to be. The humidity is pretty high and it blurs the horizon with a dull grey haze. We are running a nice relaxed pace. Beth is not a fan of blitzing the twisties and I want her to enjoy the ride and not have to worry about keeping up with me. I let her lead. This lets me stop for the ocassional picture. Then I zoom off after her and get my fix of zinging along until I catch up to her, rinse and repeat.

:tab The byway is a nice lazy twisting ride across the Winding Stair Mountain ridge. It runs a little over 50 miles over to Mena, Arkansas. On the Oklahoma side it is a narrow two lane road closed to comercial traffic. Today we seem to be the only people out here. The pavement is old but still smooth, a nice side effect of not having the heavy hauling trucks coming through here. The grass is growing right up to the edge of the pavement and leans out over the edge.

Byway 1 / byway 2 / Byway 3 / Byway 4

:tab Quite often when I stop to take pictures, I see Beth cruising up the far side of a ridge in the distance a few miles ahead of me. That just makes it more fun to chase after her. :twisted: About midway across the byway, we cross over into Arkansas and it becomes Ar Hwy 88. The road widens and the pavement is better. I settle into a nice rythm and soon catch up to Beth right before we start the descent down into Mena. I really enjoy getting behind her and watching her ride. She is very methodical and smooth.

:tab We get into Mena sometime around 2:00ish in the afternoon. There is a good deal of traffic. We turn North on US 71 to head out of town. We wind up sitting in a good bit of the traffic because of some road construction. It is now pushing 104 F and this is not fun! :? We stop for gas and refreshments. The heat is getting pretty bad and we are trying to make sure we stay hydrated. When we stop the sweat immediately starts to run down the inside of our riding suits :( Digusting to say the least, but sweating means neither of us has become dehydrated. As hot as it is outside, the best thing is to be on the bikes and moving.

:tab I was hoping that once we cleared town, we could open it up and make up some time on US 71. This is a wide two lane highway with a wide shoulder. However, the traffic is quite heavy and opportunities for passing are few. It is a shame because this part of the ride is actually a nice stretch of big sweepers through some nicely wooded areas. Getting tossed around by the hot swirling eddies of air coming off the back of big rigs is not my idea of fun.

:tab When we reach the intersection of US 71 and Hwy 23, we turn off and head into the woods on 23. The road is not very twisty here. It mostly follows a low valley and has big open curves. But the traffic has thinned out so it is not too bad. Unbelievably, it is still getting hotter! It is late afternoon and the sun is just beating down on us. There is little cloud cover and the few clouds that are in the sky never seem to block the sun.

:tab I spot a sign for Booneville and make a mental note that we should stop there for a break and refreshments. We are coming down out of some low lying hills where the road has been kind of fun and heading into town when a couple of local squidlies come blistering by us well into triple digit speeds. This is in a 45mph zone. :| Their T-shirts are riding up their backs and flapping in the wind. They grind to a halt for a stop sign and then wheelie out of sight. We slow down to put as much distance between ourselves and them, not wanting to be guilty by association.

:tab We find a nice fast food/gas station and head inside. Apparently the local highschool kids like to hang out here. There seems to have been some kind of event this afternoon and they all just left there and are congregating here. We spot a little green Ninja 250 pulling into the parking lot with what appears to be a twelve year old at the wheel. He runs inside the McDonalds to order something as we are heading back outside. He comes back out while I am looking at his bike and we spend a few minutes chatting. He's fifteen, all of five feet tall maybe, and this is his first bike. He informs me that his next bike will be an R1 :shock: this one has quite a bit of fairing damage and large cracks. He's laid it down three times and his Dad told him he would not fix it until he quit dropping it. :lol: With that we say goodbye. He puts his helmet on, then tucks the top of the bag of fries into his helmet so he can hold it with his teeth and rides away. I hope he survives long enough to get his R1 hehe. At least he did not start on the R1!

:tab Cooled off and ready to continue, we keep heading North on Hwy 23 for Ozark. The ride is dull and again the traffic has picked up now that we are back into a relatively urban area. Most of the countryside here is open and low rolling hills. Farming seems to be the main industry. It is a short ride to Ozark. We cross under I-40 and keep heading North. Here is where the fun really starts.

:tab Just a few miles North of I-40, Hwy 23 is known as the Pig Trail Scenic Byway. The road climbs up into the mountains and is really tight and twisty for about 25 miles. I send Beth on ahead of me so she can just ride her own pace. I'll probably be stopping for pictures along the way. Most of the curves are marked 20mph or lower. The woods come right up to the edge of the pavement and the branches form a green tunnel. It is nice to get some shade; however, the alternating light and dark from the sunlight piercing the canopy plays havoc with my eyes. Reading the corners and the pavement takes extra concentration. We are lucky and there is very little traffic on the road today. There have been times when I have come through here and been stuck behind a logging truck with no where to pass :(

:tab As we are coming through the Pig Trail I happen to glance down at the ambient temperature guage on the dash, 107 F!! The air is so hot and dry that it is burning my eyeballs. This is nuts!! As I zip along it feels like I am sitting in front of a giant sized blow dryer :-| It has been a long hot day and I am really looking forward to getting to Eureka Springs and cooling off. After coming down out of the Pig Trail, the road opens up into big fast sweepers. The pavement quality is great. We should be in Eureka Springs within an hour or so. Low lying mountains loom on the hazy horizon while the road is lined with green pastures with old rotting barns.

:tab We make one last stop in Huntsville at the local Sonic for Cherry Limeades... and an ice cream cone. I have only this one weakness, I swear :mrgreen: Cooled again, we steel ourselves for the last shot up Hwy 23. As we leave town the road begins to rythmically bend back and forth in smooth sweeping arcs. As we get farther North and closer to Eureka Springs, we begin to climb slightly higher and the road begins to follow various ridges. The view is of scattered pastures on hillsides and woods in all directions as far as my gaze can pierce into the late afternoon haze.

:tab We finally reach Eureka Springs. I make a wrong turn onto Hwy 62 East and start heading right back out of town! I soon realize what I have done and we backtrack to find our way to the old Historic part of downtown. The baking of my brains must have fried my inner directional beacon, yeah... that's it! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! We slowly cruise along the narrow streets, taking in the sites of the late 1800 architecture and the numerous shops. This place is a shopping tourist haven! Just beyond the main drag, we turn a corner and come upon a little Bed & Breakfast sitting on the hillside. Tired and ready to be off the bikes, we pull in to have a look. Total mileage for the day is right around 550 miles!

:tab No sooner than we get parked and start heading for the front door, we are greeted by Vince, the husband of the duo that owns and operates the Piedmont Inn. He gives us the grand tour, showing us all the rooms we have to choose from. Each is uniquely decorated and very nice. One look at Beth is all it takes to know this is the kind of place where she'd love to stay. She has long wanted to spend a weekend in a Bed & Breakfast and we just never seem to have gotten around to it. Since it is Monday night and we are staying during the week and this is a slow time for the tourist season, the owner lets us have a room for a bargain price. We pick the Lavender Room because it is nice and cozy. It also has one of the nicest and largest bathrooms ;-) We quickly drag in our stuff, cover the bikes, and settle in for a big cup of fresh lemonade!

:tab Vince introduces us to his wife Cathy and the cutest friendliest little dog on the planet. We sit inside enjoying the airconditioning and chat for a while getting to know our hosts. After relaxing for a while to catch our breath, we decide to shower and go get something to eat. As it is so late (8:00pm) and because it is the down time in the tourist season, most places are already closed for the evening. However, the owners recommend DeVito's Italian because it is within a short walk from the Inn.

:tab As painful as it is to move and stretch my legs, it does feel good to get out and walk a bit. The terrain in this part of town is mostly steep hillsides. So you are either walking real fast down hill or trudging slowly up the next. Even though it is now after 8:00pm, I'd wager the temperature is still in the nineties. By the time we reach DiVito's I have worked up a good sweat :? We get seated and order. The grilled trout is excellent. Beth's Chicken Parmasean is also excellent. Stuffed and $50 poorer :eek: , we slowly walk back to the hotel, hand in hand, feeling the stress of daily living fading out of our minds. It takes only moments to fall asleep when our heads hit the pillow.

TUESDAY

:tab When the alarm finally goes off, I am sleeping like a rock, something I have not done in some time now. A quick peek out the window reveals a beautiful day. We've decided to leave the bikes parked today. We're going to explore on foot and work out a little of the soreness from yesterday's ride. Also, we just want to spend a day taking in the sites and hitting some of the shops in the area.

:tab Breakfast is at 9:00am in the Inn. Vince is an accomplished amatuer chef and he makes an incredible breakfast. It is light yet filling. The breakfast room has floor to ceiling windows all the way round and is made of mostly clear stained wood. It is cozy and yet very bright and warm. We meet a few of the other people staying in the Inn with us. Then we are off to see what the day has in store for us. The first thing we encounter is the King of the Mansion, he's somewhere over twenty years old! He moves like it too...

:tab The area where the Inn is located is mostly old houses built on the steep hillside. Some are now B&B's, rental cottages, gift shops, restaurants, or just derilects waiting to be restored. It is about a five to ten minute walk down to the main street area where most of the shops are located.

:tab The main drag in the Historic part of Eureka Springs is a narrow street lined with two and three story buildings that sit right on the edge of the sidewalk. Most are turn of the century construction and typically they have plaques indicating when they were originally built. A lot of them are from circa 1890. As we wander up and down the steet, I notice that many of the shops are your typical tourist junk shops. There are the T-shirt shops, the worthless trinket shops, mass production "art" shops, etc,... But there are also a lot of really cool little shops.

:tab At the East end of the main street, the road makes a sharp ninety degree turn to the right. In that corner area there are several shops that have art made by local artisans. Some of it is junk in my opinion, but many pieces are really creative and beautiful pieces. It ranges from sculptures of bronze and wood, carvings, glasswork, paintings, photography, and just about anything else you can think of. The problem is that even the small items are incredibly expensive! Well, at least by our standards.

:tab After spending a good while checking out the trinket and art shops, we decide to head down the road and take a look at some of the Candy shops! If you have a sweet tooth then you will like this place. There are three shops that I see, maybe more though. The shops that we visit all make there own candy on site. The fudge looks incredible but we resist. Well... mostly :twisted:

:tab The West end is the location of the Basin Spring Park, one of the main springs in town. There are monuments everywhere as well as an outdoor amphitheater. Up above the theater there is a trail that leads up the side of the hill to some cool limestone cliffs. Visiting here and huffing up and down these trails is showing me just how out of shape I have become :oops:

:tab This is a very cool place. There are lots of nice little boutique restaurants and shops. By mid afternoon, my calves are killing me from all the walking up and down, up and down, ... When we finally get hungry we decide to eat at the Eureka Grill. It sits back in the ninety degree corner I mentioned earlier. It is not real big, has a nice outdoor seating area, and the most expensive thing on the menu is about $12-15 with the average being closer to $6-9. We get the Chef's special pasta for $6 and split it. Even splitting it we still have about half left over. It is delicious and the helping is HUGE. We grab a to go box and take it back to the Inn for dinner later.

:tab When we arrive at Inn, we decide to just kick back for a bit and let some of the afternoon heat fade before we head out to explore the neighborhood and check out some of the incredible homes here. I decide to get some pics of the place while Beth relaxes.

:tab Looking up the side of the Inn back towards the front at street level
:tab Goofy plant pic
:tab another goofy plant pic. I love the textures and patterns on plants.
:tab My precious relaxing in the shade
:tab The backside of the inn. We're on the second floor from the top.
:tab Walls like this are everywhere in this town
:tab The Parlor or Sitting Room in thr front of the inn
:tab The central hallway downstairs
:tab A double bed room up front

:tab We decide to walk back down toward the main street and the shops just to stretch our legs some more.

:tab The Rogue's Manor Tavern, Restaurant, and Inn. Excellent but pricey food!
:tab Misc shops on the main road
:tab You might think relatives of the Adams Family life here...
:tab One of the many little parks built around the springs

:tab One of the newest homes in town and one that I would love to own!! When it was decided that the town should have sewer and indoor plumbing, rather than digging up all the roads, the city elected to just build everything on the road, then bury the road. This means that the entry to most of the buildigs on the downside of the road is at the second floor. Many buildings are setback from the road and thus have a small area commonly used as a garden or sitting area on the first floor where the front porch would normally be located. this house has a three story garage! Front view including garage. The cool thing is how well the architects kept the building in theme with the rest of the town's buildings, yet it is still thoroughly modern in its' conveniences.

:tab The Mary Kay Cottage?
:tab Country style with long front porch
:tab One of many small cottages that can be rented

:tab Another colorful B&B. Like many homes in town, the paint looks great from a distance. However, upon getting closer it becomes obvious that much of the paint is crackign and peeling. It must be a maintenance nightmare to do the upkeep on a building like this.

:tab A local apartment building! Apparently finding a vacancy is tough here.
:tab An amazing example of the decorative scroll woodwork on some of the houses. Another view. This place is for sale for a cool $300K :shock:

[still working on it...]

Back