• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Should I buy a new helmet?

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Last Name
Willyard
When I low-sided my bike, I smacked my helmet and it scrapped off about a 1 inch diameter spot into the paint. It is an Arai Signet. No cracks that I can see, what do you think? :-|

bowillyard said:
When I low-sided my bike, I smacked my helmet and it scrapped off about a 1 inch diameter spot into the paint. It is an Arai Signet. No cracks that I can see, what do you think? :-|

Not sure about Arai, but Shoei will evaluate the integrity of a crashed helmet(Shoei) and give their recommendation if sent the helmet.

Might want to contact Arai.

Simpson does as well...they passed mine and actually gave me a new box!

If you smacked your head, the helmet did its job and it's time to replace it.

The inner crush liner (the styrofoam) has probably been compressed from cushioning your head from the impact. There is more protection going on than just the pretty outer shell.

I'm not just saying this because I stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night... I'm also an MSF RiderCoach. ;-)

There was an article about helmets in SportCyclist (I think) a couple of months ago and they said (if I remember correctly) that SNELL and DOT rated helmets are designed to withstand a couple of pretty hard hits in the same location before their integrity is compromised. If you didn't hit very hard (glancing blow parallel to the surface vs. thump perpendicular to the surface) you're probably fine. Of course, I'm no expert so don't sue me if you go head first into a truck and the helmet doesn't save you. It just seems to me that we've bought into this, "drop you're helmet = replace it" philosophy to easily. It reminds of a story I read about expiration dates on drugs. It seems the army had warehouses full of drugs that were expiring in storage. They decided to study the long term effectiveness of the stored drugs and found that many (almost all of them) were effective for years after their expiration date. Saved them a lot of money. I'll see if I can find a link to the article about the helmets.

If it doesn't smell funny or look fuzzy, its' not expired... Oh wait... that is for food/drug items not helmets...

Back