• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2010 R1200GS, Best Sport Touring bike?

Reaction score
Might as well see if you thought this was as interesting an article as I did.
August 2010 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has review of three 2010 Sport Touring Bikes. The Kawasaki C-14, Honda VFR1200F, and Yamaha FJR1300 are the bikes reviewed.

But what they really wanted for the review included the BMW K1300GT, Ducati Multistrada 1200 and the KTM 990SMT, but things didn't work out when the test time came. They had 3 bikes instead of 6, and 4 riders.

Well why not take the BMW R1200GS that they still had in the garage from a review in the July issue and use that to haul the extra gear and 4th rider....

1700 miles later, every rider declared the GS the best Sport Touring bike of the 4 bikes on the trip.

" The GS was our unanimous favorite for its handling, engine character, riding comfort and pure mile-eating fun. At the end of the day, if it came to spending our own money for a sport tourer, we all pick the GS. How's that for a surprise!?"

Last edited:
Being a rather tall rider (6' 3"), I had to sell my BMW K1200GT a few years ago after having too many leg cramps. Maybe I'm just getting old, but bikes like the GT required me to fold up my legs and I could barely walk after a day of riding.

I bought a R1200GS in 2007 and the leg position is just right. But, I like the idea of being able to dive off the pavement onto gravel/dirt side roads whenever I feel like it. I do miss the sheer power of the GT, but at least I can walk upright when we get to our destination now. ;-)

" The GS was our unanimous favorite for its handling, engine character, riding comfort and pure mile-eating fun. At the end of the day, if it came to spending our own money for a sport tourer, we all pick the GS. How's that for a surprise!?"

No surprise for me mate, pretty much how I feel. If I am going on any trip one up, probably 90% of my riding, I will reach for my GS before I will my Goldwing.

No surprise for me mate, pretty much how I feel. If I am going on any trip one up, probably 90% of my riding, I will reach for my GS before I will my Goldwing.
Wow. That's a bold statement there. I gotta try one of those one of these days. Probably should wait till I have money in the bank. Or maybe not. :rofl:

I rode Sparky's GS for about 10 miles or so and just with that short ride, I was quite impressed. It really did nothing outstanding, but it did absolutely everything darn good.

Yea, seems like it'd be the leatherman/gerber/swiss army knife. All the tools on those things suck compared to the real thing, but it's nice having them all in one package.

Sportbikes gone. Sport Touring bikes gone. Touring bikes gone. A BMW GS Adventure and a KLR for a Mexico bike and I've got everything I need. Hey. It's cheaper than owning four which was my previous business model.

I've done 900 mile days on my 05 GS (Johnson City, TN back to Tyler) and several 700 mile days including Terlingua to Tyler and Tyler to Chattanooga. It is very comfortable and very capable. It doesn't look like a Sport Touring bike; I call it my Dual-Sport Touring bike!:sun:

What really convinced me that the R1200 GS Adventure was the right bike was the MC show last November. I rode that C14 and FJR at the demo rides. When I got on the GSA to head home it was heaven. Handled much better then the other 2 bikes. They seemed sluggish in turns after riding the GSA. I owned a 2008 C14, too.

I cannot think of a bike out there that would get me off the Beemer.

My 2 cents!

The GS is truly a do it all bike. I can ride it to Colorado in a day, hit the dirt roads and passes and ride it back like a touring bike.

ok I gotta ride one of these, and like jasen said, maybe I should wait until I have some scratch in the bank.
So anyone in the Katy area want to ride an FZ1 around for an afternoon :trust:

I sat on one at the dealer in San Antonio. I have to admit the seat was awesome. I really thought about trading in both my Harleys on one. I figured I oughta test ride it first. They are really cool machines. I just don't know that I $20,000 like em.

:tab I love the GS. I really miss the 02 1150 I had. I have an 05 1200 right now. I think I actually like the 02 better. It just seems to ride better. I guess it is the heavy Cadillac ride versus the light sports car ride :shrug: The only thing is that the 1150 still handled awesome and was very easy to toss around in the twisties. You just had to REALLY pay attention to where you parked because hefting that beastie off the stand or backing it up an incline could be a real pain, hehe. I almost tossed a 1200 over on the other side the first time I lifted it off the side stand :doh: I really don't like the EVO brakes on the 05. My 02 did not have that. Both bikes rock though.

:tab Jason, if you ever find your way up here to Huntsville, I might be inclined to go ride with you and swap bikes. The FZ1 is a real hoot :twisted:

I sat on one at the dealer in San Antonio. I have to admit the seat was awesome. I really thought about trading in both my Harleys on one. I figured I oughta test ride it first. They are really cool machines. I just don't know that I $20,000 like em.

I am pretty sure the bike they were talking about was the standard GS and not the GSA. The standard GS's are cheaper.

I don't have the 1200, by my 1150 rocks. Just turned over 80K and it hasn't missed a beat. And you can drag toes in the twisties with these things. :mrgreen: If you haven't ridden a GS, I HIGHLY recommend it.

The head lights suck, on the 1150 and the 1200. My crappy old KLR 650 has a better head light... This is why you see GS's with tons of after market lights stuck all over them.

I own a fleet of KTM's and bought my first GSA in July. The BMW is my first pick for any long adventure,but sucks on any sand or very technical switchback although it does turn much sharper than any of the big KTM's. I love them all

The head lights suck, on the 1150 and the 1200. My crappy old KLR 650 has a better head light... This is why you see GS's with tons of after market lights stuck all over them.

I'll agree 100% with the above. That's why I've got a set of PIAA's.

Oh, and the stock alternators will run headlights/highbeams, PIAA's, heated grips on high, electric heating vest and a GPS still leaving you some excess capacity. Many folks forget about that little benefit of a GS.

Didn't they lose the EVO brakes somewhere along the line in the last few years? I would not mind having a newer 1200 without the EVO nonsense.

As for the GS in the sand, I learned to ride in the sand on the 1150 GS. With Tourance/Anakee style tires, it can be challenging. With TKC-80's it is actually not too bad. I found it easier to ride the 1150 in sand than the KLR simply because it didn't wiggle as much. You really have to stay on the gas though...

Back