• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ozark suggestions: routes and base camp

Reaction score
I missed this year's AR gathering in Chama, NM, due to injury (no riding for 5+ months). Next year's nomination is most likely the southern Ozarks, probably southern Missouri.

Having never been there, I'm soliciting suggestions for routes and candidate base camp. Few of my fellow AR riders take joy in tent camping, so we usually find a lodge/cabin. Preferably away from the touristas. (Eureka Springs is out)

Bikes range from BMW and Harley touring bikes/FJR/smallish cruisers/Ninjas/ whateverelse.

I will probably ride the DR and look for some off-pavement riding and I think a few AR riders want to test the 'off-road' riding experience. So suggestions for non-gnarly off-the-pavement roads are welcome.

TIA

Lots of nice cabins around Jasper and lots of riding too. :thumb:

Ping MiddleAgeMissile, he has a cabin too.

What time of year you planning on visiting. I've always enjoyed my trips up in there fall during color change.

What time of year you planning on visiting. I've always enjoyed my trips up in there fall during color change.
Not sure yet. I posted that question this am; waiting for responses. I suspect it will be as in the past, early summer. Although we met in Utah in the fall in 2006. Depends on what their vacation schedules are; two riders are from Alberta, Canada :)

I'd prefer spring, too, but then again, the Big R will be either next September (or December) of next year. If I retire September 1st, I won't have any deadlines to be back :trust:

Stay in Harrison and ride in any direction. Here is my gps file of my last trip in September.

Beaver Bridge is interesting. It is a one lane wooden suspension bridge.

BeaverBridge.jpg

Attachments

• ArkansasSept09.gdb
    363.4 KB · Views: 143
From Jasper you got "All Day" twisty ridin and never need to go to MO. This route is "The Best" twisty route in Arkansas hands down! http://www.twistybutt.com/downloads.html
Look at the SFO 10 route, it runs through Jasper. The Cliff House Inn just south of Jasper on hwy 7 has several rooms and some unreal views for lodgeing. If you got a few guys that like to ride all day and stay on the gas I'm looking at putting a long weekend on the schedule mid October thru mid November or so

If you got a few guys that like to ride all day and stay on the gas I'm looking at putting a long weekend on the schedule mid October thru mid November or so
Two of our riders are from Alberta, Canada. They have to deal with snow in the mountains, so they usually have to be on their way back to Canada no later than mid-September. (In mid-Sept. 2006, they got caught in a blizzard in Utah on the way to Moab!)

Two of our riders are from Alberta, Canada. They have to deal with snow in the mountains, so they usually have to be on their way back to Canada no later than mid-September. (In mid-Sept. 2006, they got caught in a blizzard in Utah on the way to Moab!)

Thats tough, considering in this area, its as hot in mid September as it is now.
Mid to late October is such a good time to ride in North Central Arkansas!

My only experience is in Mena, a ways to the south. The Talimena Scenic Skyway is probably one of the best paved roads I've ever ridden. But the real reason to go to Mena would be to play with your DR :trust:

Pictures of both are here.

My only experience is in Mena, a ways to the south. The Talimena Scenic Skyway is probably one of the best paved roads I've ever ridden. But the real reason to go to Mena would be to play with your DR :trust:

Pictures of both are here.

The Skyway has some of the best views in Arkansas, but if you have not ridden some of the North Central Arkansas stuff (123, 16, 21, 74, 23, 341, 27 9, 58, 263, etc....)You gotta come up and ride. The roads metioned are street bike roads and as good as they come in Arkansas (or anywhere for that matter)
I get up there several times a year, (heck I only live a few hours away) and will make another trip sometime October or so.

The Skyway has some of the best views in Arkansas, but if you have not ridden some of the North Central Arkansas stuff (123, 16, 21, 74, 23, 341, 27 9, 58, 263, etc....)You gotta come up and ride. The roads metioned are street bike roads and as good as they come in Arkansas (or anywhere for that matter)
I get up there several times a year, (heck I only live a few hours away) and will make another trip sometime October or so.

I like pavement as much as the next guy, especially if it's Arkansas twisty stuff, but not when there's dirt around! :trust:

Back