• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #36: EYES (ENTRY) due 8/2

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Post your single entry for Photo Assignment #36, "EYES" in this thread.

Your photograph has to have been taken between now and midnight, Aug 2, 2010.

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted. Photographs should stand on their own for your interpretation of "EYES."

You may post only one entry, but you may change it any time until midnight, 2 August, 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
DSCF3577.jpg

I thought I knew which one I was going to pick before writing the critiques, then after writing them, it was not so clear. Each image has its own special merit.

Voni
Love the dreamy effect and creative use of color. I would have cropped the edge of the circle at the bottom as I find it is a little distracting.

PGlaves
Some seriously intense eyes. The eyes are just a micro-tad soft in focus compared to the end of the nose. Love the way the horizon is reflected in his eyes. The nostril/moustache is a little distracting for me.

BexarWolf
Excellent macro with a PowerShot SD950. The intaglio printing process is always amazing to me--how subtle shading is represented by fairly large blocks of ink & white space and you captured the detail while still allowing the 3D effect to be seen. Nice framing & exposure.

M38A1
Beautiful lady with beautiful eyes. Very nice color & exposure but the flash seems to make it a little harsh along with the sharp shadows on her face from the fishnet. At the risk of being labeled the "crop nazi", I would have cropped the ear/erring out and gone for a square crop of the left portion of the pic.

So, my vote goes to BexarWolf with a very close second to Voni.

Last edited:
Congrats Tad! You're up!

Gary-
I hadn't noticed the 3D aspect to a flat file until you mentioned it. That was a nice observation. As for the crop nazi, is this more in line with what you thought? I like it much better then the submission. The shadows are there, but many of those are actual double strands of pink thread. But I DO see the shadows created you mention.

DSC_5370-2.jpg

Congrats Tad! You're up!

Gary-
I hadn't noticed the 3D aspect to a flat file until you mentioned it. That was a nice observation. As for the crop nazi, is this more in line with what you thought? I like it much better then the submission. The shadows are there, but many of those are actual double strands of pink thread. But I DO see the shadows created you mention.

DSC_5370-2.jpg

yes on the crop. I'd be interested in seeing what Lightroom, "soften skin" brush would do to the "flashiness" of the photo. She has beautiful skin and doesn't "need" the soften skin treatment for that reason, but I think it might help take the edge off the flash aspect. Looking the strands again, sorry for the negative eval on that point.

I'm flabbergasted but humbly honored. The bill in the picture now resides at Lone Star BMW but they won't let me visit it any more. It was a very short-lived relationship with several of it's twins. :trust:

Thanks for this opportunity, Tracker. I'll try to live up to you subject. I have one in mind and hope to have it posted by tonight. :photo:

Thanks again!

Thanks for choosing my entry second. My grandson couldn't wait to find out how "our" picture came out in the contest. It was entirely accidental in that I was aiming for an intense looking at cartoon eyes shot when he noticed and flashed a laser pointer at the camera.

Magic!

(And luckily no damage to the camera)

Great shots every one. Glad I didn't have to choose.

Voni
sMiling

M38A1, I do like it better. Just seems a little softer in a good way; less "harsh".

Voni, well I don't think I'll try that effect, but it is pretty cool the way it turned out.

Back