• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gas Cap Redue Part III

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
Well this is the 3rd change in the looks of my gas cap and I really like how it turned out. I never cared for the missed matched factory colors on all 3 visual parts of the gas cap assembly, as they didn't really match anything else on the bike. So a couple of years ago I started out by first removing the outer trim ring and stripping off the anodizing and polishing it along with replaced the stock mounting screws with polished S/S allen screws.

Then some months latter I removed the key flap and stripped the anodizing of it and polished it. Well I felt there was still room for improvement, so yesterday I removed the gas cap assembly and disassembled it. I then stripped the paint off of the flip up gas cap which was some of the hardest paint I have ever removed from anything, then it got a full sanding and polish job which the pictures don't do justice too.

I then powder coated the outer trim ring and the key flap in semi-gloss black, which really looks great next to the red paint and I have now achieved a look I am very happy with. . :rider:

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

looks nice. I'm just thinking - that's just one more thing to clean but it does look trick.

I also like the looks....the outer ring on mine is looking just a bit grungy, but I haven't done anything yet. Are all the allen heads functional on the outer?

I also like the looks....the outer ring on mine is looking just a bit grungy, but I haven't done anything yet. Are all the allen heads functional on the outer?

yes they are. If you remember that is the method my camera attaches via the tank.

Joe

Only 3 out of the 5 screws actually attach the outer ring to the gas tank, the other two just thread into the ring itself, but they can all be used to attach something like a camera mount.

Back