• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ft. Davis 2010: Extremely green, extremely wet

TWTim

Reaction score
We haven't been to Ft. Davis all year, so Friday around lunch, the wife and I left work early, threw the pooch and couple bags in the car, and headed that way to do some hiking. We heard that the recent massive rainfall they've experienced has made everything extremely green. It's true. I don't ever think I've seen Ft. Davis so lush. However, the rain wasn't exactly done. Yeah, um, remind me to check the forecast next time.

From Saragosa, we could plainly see that the mountains were getting hammered with rain:

fd02.jpg

By Balmorhea, the weather was advancing on us:

fd03.jpg

Undeterred, we decided to brave the weather and hope for the best. We made it to our rental cabin at the Crow's Nest Ranch around mid-afternoon:

fd20.jpg

FYI, Crow's Nest Ranch is a great place to stay so long as you don't go to Ft. Davis by motorcycle, as they are not allowed. Yes, that's a very lame policy, I agree.

Anyway, it was a bit damp at the ranch, though suitable for a short hike, so we got our things together and headed down a dry creek bed:

fd08.jpg

fd06.jpg

Dig this fungus:

fd04.jpg

We were having a great time for about 30 minutes until we started hearing thunder and seeing lightning, at which time we high-tailed it back to the cabin. It's a good thing, too. Ten minutes after we arrived, so did the rain:

fd17.jpg

At that point we were pretty much marooned indoors. So we spent the rest of the afternoon and evening listening to the radio, reading, and having a little vino.

Saturday morning things weren't looking much better, so we decided to head south of Ft. Davis to the Chihuahuan Desert Botanical Center to see if there was any hiking to be had there. The weather was off in the distance, so we tried our luck:

fd05.jpg

Scout was chomping at the bit for a hike by the time we got there:

fd07.jpg

The center features a mining exhibit which is very interesting. This ore is called Copper Pitch, and is very beautiful. The blue element is called Azurite. It is surrounded by Copper (the green element). I think the black element must be Manganese or some-such, but the sign didn't say:

df10.jpg

This, according to the sign, is Uranium:

fd11.jpg

Great plants are everywhere along the hiking trails:

fd19.jpg

fd12.jpg

fd13.jpg

fd18.jpg

And just as we were starting to enjoy ourselves, the weather was once again upon us:

fd09.jpg

A few minutes later, we were getting wet and headed back in from the trails:

fd21.jpg

At that point, we sorta gave up and went back to the cabin to pack and head home. We weren't gonna get any hiking done on this particular trip.

Clouds loomed over the mountaintops as we made our way back to the ranch:

fd15.jpg

fd14.jpg

Packed and ready to head home, another heavy downpour arrived. It's kinda hard to load the car in these conditions:

fd16.jpg

Once the rain subsided again, we finally got everything loaded and headed home. Two hours and fifteen minutes later, we were in Midland, where it was -- of course -- sunny and hot.

Still, it was a fun trip. We'll just have to try again in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Your trip sounded like a lot of fun in spite of the rain. Great pics to compliment as well. :clap:

I poured all over the Crows Nest site and there's no mention of the no-motorcycle policy. That's too bad as I would have considered that as a destination ride on the scoot.

The desert can be so beautiful when it's in bloom. I think you're supposed to go after it rains.

The desert can be so beautiful when it's in bloom. I think you're supposed to go after it rains.

Yes indeed. Point well taken. :mrgreen:

I poured all over the Crows Nest site and there's no mention of the no-motorcycle policy. That's too bad as I would have considered that as a destination ride on the scoot.

I was surprised by that as well. When we got to our cabin there was a rules sheet on the kitchen table, and among the info was a request that no motorcycles be brought onto the property since they tend to be noisy. Cryin' shame. I hope they'd make an exception for quiet streetbikes, though. Perhaps they just don't want dirtbikers and DSers tooling around the trails.

Last edited:
Another success story brought to you by the Loud Pipes Save Lives bunch. :doh:

Well, they're actually very particular about the maintenance of silence in general; no shooting, no parties, no music, etc. In fact, the rule sheet essentially tells you that they expect to hear no sounds created by humans after 10 p.m. Basically, they just want it to be as quiet as humanly possible out there. And yes, motorcycles have a reputation for bringing with them most all that rabble-rousing stuff.

Thanks a lot, Life Magazine. :lol2:

Hollister%20&%20Life%20Magazine.jpg

I wonder what would happen if you made a reservation, then arrived on a bike? No mention of it on their website, so how would anyone know if they were just searching for a nice remote place to stay and called in for a cabin/tent space?

I wonder also, I've heard many trucks and cars way louder than my '07 Bandit even with my Yosh can w/db reducer in it. When I start it up in crowded places when on tour, no one even looks my way so it for sure does not attract attention.

I wonder what would happen if you made a reservation, then arrived on a bike? No mention of it on their website, so how would anyone know if they were just searching for a nice remote place to stay and called in for a cabin/tent space?

Sharon and I had a similar conversation. I wondered essentially the same thing.

Tim, cool pics and story.

Some of the best times off I have spent has been enjoying the simple things, looks like a great get-a-way trip to me. Rain on the cabin roof, I would have been out like a light listening to it. At least you got a walk in.

Some of my coworkers can't figure out why I enjoy kayaking when I get the chance. I try to explain to them just how relaxing it is listening the water and wildlife(non human) on the lake. That, and watching the city folks rent canoes at the state park is well worth price of admission. :lol2:

Thanks for sharing and it makes me look fwd to some time with my wife in the weeks to come.

Jack, I can't tell you how many thousands of dollars are spent in Austin every year rescuing canoers out of Lake Austin downtown. :mrgreen:

Jack, I can't tell you how many thousands of dollars are spent in Austin every year rescuing canoers out of Lake Austin downtown. :mrgreen:

Some things are just sad, but very funny all at the same time. :lol2: hijack off.

I wonder also, I've heard many trucks and cars way louder than my '07 Bandit even with my Yosh can w/db reducer in it. When I start it up in crowded places when on tour, no one even looks my way so it for sure does not attract attention.

My wing is more quiet than most cars!

Twice, thru the many years I have been riding, while checking into motels, I have been told or asked, to "park my bike around the back of the building". ( so other travelers couldn't see the bike) Both times, After telling them what I thougth about their request, I rode away. HB

Twice, thru the many years I have been riding, while checking into motels, I have been told or asked, to "park my bike around the back of the building". ( so other travelers couldn't see the bike) Both times, After telling them what I thougth about their request, I rode away. HB

I would've just said, "Sure, no problem," then parked it in my room. :lol2:

Kidding!

Back