• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Day ride 3 KLR's & XChallenge

Reaction score
Had a nice ride today arond the forest service roads in SHNF and gravel roads near Anderson. Here was the route:
http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Anderson4

route8-1-10.jpg

We had about 250+ miles for the day. Once we hit the gravel at the intersection of Hwy 105 & Hwy 362 we had about 70% off pavement. It was almost every surface possible. Gravel, pavement, soft deep sand, dirt. No mud.

Must of be over 15 miles of semi-two track in teh SHNF. Nice riding.

Rest break in the SHNF. A gagle of KLRs.
SNH1.jpg

3 KLRs plus a BMW XChallenge made the ride. Here is the XChallenge on the right:
SNH2.jpg

Only had one get off. It was in a section of deep loose sand about 200 yards long. I will not say who :lol2:

More pics thanks to GSer.

955138703_rjtZd-L.jpg

955138703_rjtZd-L.jpg

955138513_4VETF-L.jpg

955138436_buA6u-L.jpg

Yours truely looking for a tool tube that broke off. Humm, time for a new design.
955138833_fxw7k-L.jpg

Where or where can that tool tube be??
955138748_LBBbf-L.jpg

The red ones are faster.
955138860_Ricr3-L.jpg

Yankees for lunch at Carlos.
955138915_83pCB-L.jpg

Some more inmates from somewhere.
955138973_JHT7T-L.jpg

Almost like a bike show in the parking lot.
955138952_WzEeM-L.jpg

Yea, that is what he says. But he picked it up too quick for me to get back there and take a pic! :giveup:

I believe there are some places to pick up fuel. You hit hiways a few spots connecting the off road. But we really did not look for gas stations. The BMW XChallenge only had about 100 mile range. But he carried an extrat half gallon so we did not need to stop till we hit Carlos for lunch. We passed a gas station right at about the 90 to 100 mile point. We started in the south at intersection of Hwy 105 and Hwy 362.

The link in the first post takes you to a web site of the route. If you choose the "Share" button you can see an option to lownload a GPX track of the route.

It was a pretty hot day today. But temps were fine till noon thru all the off pavement parts.

Yea, that is what he says. But he picked it up too quick for me to get back there and take a pic! :giveup:

like i said before, wasn't my fault i went down, i got bump drafted and put into the wall, just like kurt busch, today. it's my story, and i'm sticking to it.:trust:....tom
and taking and posting pictures of folks when they are down is just sadistic, unless it of someone else, but me..tp

Really great pix guys, sorry I forgot my camera this time, maybe would have caught the elusive KLR sand shovel...;-)

:tab I ride those roads all the time. I know exactly where that stretch of sand is too. I recently took the 1200 GS through there and had Snoopster on the back. She had not done much DS riding and she was kind of freaked out by the bike sliding around, hehe. Knobbies would have helped, but I had just swapped them out with newer road tires recently. Then there was the jump off one of those little wooden bridges over a creek... She claims that made her scream, but I never heard it :shrug: When we got to bike night down in Montgomery, she was quite animated in retelling the ride to the other folks there :lol2:

:tab Gas is no problem. There are plenty of places to fuel up. A 100 mile range is plenty. The sad thing is that a lot of those roads are being paved. There is a little gas station in Shiro that has fantastic burgers. It is on Hwy 30, on the left, as you head through town going West. You can get gas in Richards, Anderson, and Carlos also. There are also a lot of fun roads on the North side of Hwy 30.

:tab I wish I had known you guys were out there running around. I might have tried to get out there on the KLR to join you. I came real close to just riding out to Yankees to hang out and enjoy a cool drink. But then I got to thinking about how hot it would be and wimped out, hehe.

I'm up here in Oklahoma now, just drove through the Ouachita and Winding Stair National Forests, wishing I was on my KLR instead of my truck with downhole equipment. Oh well, gotta pay the bills... I'm all checked into my hotel up hear in Poteau, Ok where its 109-110F, according to the ole Dodge outside temp gauge.:giveup:

However, on the upside, definitely got to remember this scenery, would be totally awesome on the KLR up here.:rider:

I'm up here in Oklahoma now, just drove through the Ouachita and Winding Stair National Forests, wishing I was on my KLR instead of my truck with downhole equipment. Oh well, gotta pay the bills... I'm all checked into my hotel up hear in Poteau, Ok where its 109-110F, according to the ole Dodge outside temp gauge.:giveup:

However, on the upside, definitely got to remember this scenery, would be totally awesome on the KLR up here.:rider:
hope the job was a success. have a safe trip back and beware of sand roads. tom

Tourmister, guess I need to start posting when we are going to ride. Sorry I did not include you. I am pretty much a novice at leading rides as well as off pavement riding. So I have been a bit timid to end up with a large group.

I bet that was a squirrly ride for the little lady!

Big C. look for Runestone State Park around there. Worth a stop. It is some runes cut into a rock face that are Nordic and very old. How the #$@ they got way in there is a big mystery.

I have made two trips on the KLR up there and just east in Arkansas. Great KLR country!

:thumb: Thanks for leading the ride! I got to ride on roads I've never been on and I had a great time!

bsheet, thanks for the tip, all depends on the job tomorrow - Good job, steaks for dinner :eat: and a trip to Rune State Park on the way back - Bad job, McDonalds and self brow-beating for the 9+ hour ride back to Gulf Coast :eek2:

Of course, working really hard for the "good job"/at-a-boy/pat on the back from the BP boss-man tomorrow.

I say the more the merrier, makes it real hard to hide those mystic get-offs with more eye-balls on the trail...:lol2:

Good point. When DD drops his bike....again. We need a pic.:lol2:

john, i don't remember ever seeing you go down and do a beautiful somersault, do i? nah, no pics, no drop. in spite of it all, i'm now riding w some great guys, and look forward to many more rides w them. just don't snicker to loudly when you see me do stupid stuff. i'm old, you know....tom :rider::rider::rider:

I was wondering when you would mention that! It's all good fun as long as no one gets hurt.

I was wondering when you would mention that! It's all good fun as long as no one gets hurt.
mention what? "i saw nothing, i know nothing". if riding this weekend, be safe. the road glide is heading to waco, and taking me along for the ride.

Nice pics! Lots of pine trees, ok thats why its call the piney woods..:doh:

But the long leaf pine is making a bit of a comeback. http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=107

Long leaf pine is very beautiful, its a harder more dense wood with more sap, ideal for electric poles, and the sap for turpentine. The long leaf old growth was totally logged out of East Texas, not sure if any of old growth still exists. The long leaf pine seedlings are harder to cultivate and grow slower than Loblolly. The long leaf is also very fire resistant, and responds well to prescribed burning to create natural habitats for wildlife. The wood better quality than the loblolly pine used for lumber, paper, and oriented strand board.

So, if you see some long leaf pine in East Texas, take some pictures!

Back