• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Track Day

twist

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
I had a track day (my first) at the Miller Motorsports Park http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/ here in Utah (on my 2007 1250 Bandit) and I thought I'd pass along my observations (I know many of you already participate in track events regularly).

First of all it was a lot of fun and I did learn from the experience – I highly recommend it for everyone. This specific event was not instruction or racing, just a “track day.” However I did find it to be quite competitive and this pressure made my first couple of runs more stressful than they should have been (all self imposed ;-)). I settled down for my last couple of runs and rode just for my own self interest and education, this made a big difference for me. Although there was no instruction, the people running the event were helpful and did give me some personalized tips.

I think I was the only person who rode their bike to/from the event, everyone else brought their bikes on trailers, some were strictly racing bikes but many were street legal. It's probably a bad idea to do what I did, considering the possibility of crashing and not having a ride home :doh: (but I did not crash, so it all worked out). The bikes were pretty much all sport bikes except about five of them. It was a mix of all the current 1000cc and 600cc sport bike brands. I was the only sport touring/standard – and yes I got some stares, but I didn't consider any of them to be disparaging looks (a couple of folks wanted to know more about the Bandit). There were some really incredible riders there too! (not including me, of course) :rider:

Preparing my bike was easy, I did the radiator flush the day before (can't have glycol based fluids) – I used Redline Water Wetter. I removed my mirror's at the track, I removed the front headlight fuse (so I didn't need to tape it), but I did tape the tail light. I used my Pilot Road 2 tires with several thousand miles on them (but they still looked and worked fine).

Although I consider myself a very good street rider, but I very quickly learned that the track is a lot different than the street, and my skills when pushing my limits are not a awesome as I had imagined. (I am not the natural Ben Spies type that I thought I was...:giveup:) I was a little worried that not having mirrors would be troubling (I use them a lot while on the street) but the track is a completely different animal and not having them was no concern at all. The biggest problem for me was focusing too much on the close-in action and not having my focus out 10-12 seconds ahead. I do look that far ahead on the street, but it's a traffic focus, not a “riding” focus in the sense of setting entry speeds, looking for the apex, and planning exits. I would imagine that this is the biggest noobie mistake for everyone. Feeling that panic and wanting to SLOW DOWN :eek2: as you enter a turn, at what seems to be, too high of a speed when you are looking at your front tire is a serious mistake. Just getting your eyes off the front end and ahead of you makes all the difference. It was good to reenforce this practice, and as the day progressed my entry speeds increased considerably and I became a lot smoother throughout the track. :zen:

There were some real nice people there, I felt welcomed and comfortable. I think that as long as I was easy to “read” on the track it didn't bother anyone how slow I went (I never went “slow” but I'm sure some of those riders would disagree :mrgreen:).

I think I sit too upright on the track – a street habit I guess, I need to get down and hang off more (but that's a skill to hone for next time). I scrapped a lot of peg – but no knee – and they told me I was riding the **** out of the bike, a couple of them were even concerned that I was perhaps “out riding” my tires. (Maybe just appeasing and ego stroking the customer???)

It was a good experience, and I did have SEVERAL moments of panic (too fast into a turn) and even went off the track twice. But I got better and trained myself to look ahead and lean, instead grabbing the brakes.

It was over 100 degrees :sun: and the nearest tree was probably 50 miles away – it was HOT. Cost me $140 for a half-day (four 20 minute runs) which was PLENTY, I could not have done anymore safely. The crew was great, friendly, professional and very competent. I also determined that I do NOT want to take one of the racing/riding school courses that are offered at the track (I have been considering doing so). I think it would be too much for me, and I'm not as brave as I was 30 years ago.

So the bandit is no slouch, but it's no track racer either. I learned a lot, but have A LOT more to learn. It was fun and interesting – I think it's good to learn your bike and its limits (I still has a long way to go to test the Bandit's limits), I kinda doubt how much of this is directly applicable to street riding where the biggest issue is the traffic, but again knowing your machine can never be a bad thing, and may make the difference between a near miss and a crash. Everyone should do this at least once. :rider:

Attachments

• ZF-0133-53330-1-002.jpg
    ZF-0133-53330-1-002.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:
So the bandit is no slouch, but it's no track racer either. I learned a lot, but have A LOT more to learn. It was fun and interesting – I think it's good to learn your bike and its limits (I still has a long way to go to test the Bandit's limits), I kinda doubt how much of this is directly applicable to street riding where the biggest issue is the traffic, but again knowing your machine can never be a bad thing, and may make the difference between a near miss and a crash. Everyone should do this at least once. :rider:

Knowing the limits of your bike or at least understanding it better than you currently do will greatly improve you on the street.

I like ridding up with my bags, taking them off, riding the track day while busting some young guns is an excellent closer of the stereotypical "It's a Standard?" gap that peeps have especially when you tell them "Yes, and it has a whopping 104 HP":rofl:

so what was the longest straight section? which gears do you suppose you spent the most time in? did you try to keep the rpms up- like staying 1 gear lower than you probably would on the street?

the cheapest racing close to me is the drag strip [$20]. i'd like to try a good track but it sounds like $140 would only be about half what it would cost me.. renting leathers and all...

BTW, nice write up Twist.

so what was the longest straight section? which gears do you suppose you spent the most time in? did you try to keep the rpms up- like staying 1 gear lower than you probably would on the street?

the cheapest racing close to me is the drag strip [$20]. i'd like to try a good track but it sounds like $140 would only be about half what it would cost me.. renting leathers and all...

Buy some inexpensive leathers either through forum sites, craigslist, or a lesser known brand. I got mine a complete outfit of boots, suit, helmet, gloves for $200 through CL.

Anyone can ride an "Introduction to Trackday" through 'NESBA' without joining. You get to ride the first two sessions. BUt, no tacks in TX (http://www.nesba.com/Info/TracksWeRide.htm)

The closest to me are Road Atlanta & Barber at around $200 (+/-) per day.
Little Tally is about $99/day.

If you like to ride fast you will love it. Ride the track in one gear until you learn the breaking markers, racing line, etc (I use 3rd)

Oh, RA has a back straight that I got up to 150 mph (167 indicated) . Barber=135mph (151 indicated). I kept my RPMs around 5-7k.

If you just want to do a track day, there's one August 14th very close to you (Harris Hill), they still have "first time track day riders" spots open.

http://www.lstd.com/html/2010schedule.html

If you're an experienced track day rider or racer, then whoops, my apologies, carry on (and Texas World is not that far from New Braunfels ;) ).

The best picture of the track is probably google earth. http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.581351,-112.379515&spn=0.013168,0.022445&z=16

We only used the east (right) half of the track. The longest real straight section is probably a quarter mile, with a few longer sections having only gentle curves. I found that keeping the bike in 4th gear the entire time worked fine, but I was purposefully trying to eliminate this as a factor - I was concentrating enough on the fundamentals and didn't need to worry about shifting. The RPMs in 4th ranged from 3500 up to maybe 6000, it probably would have been better to be in a lower gear... but hey :doh:

I think this outfit (Apex Track Days) has free leathers for first timers (and a special $99 first time deal too, on selected events).

I am undecided if I want to do this again.... but I think I probably will :rider:

As a complete off topic side note: on the map link above you will notice a small track at the top, that is the "go kart" track. I did this on Monday with the wife and kids - OMG what a HOOT. The go karts they use are really fast, and it's just wide open crazy racing (not bumper cars), we had a total blast. We did three 10+ minute runs (that's a long time in those things, there is a lot of banging around with the g-forces). The last run was just my family on the track - an very competitive lot we were, looser had to do dishes for the week (not me!) :clap:

I love trackdays!! I don't use my Bandit though. A dedicated trackbike makes the experience all the better. I have done 5 this year so far and have 5 more to go two of which will be two day events. I love it so much we invested in a small Toy Hauler to go to the track. On a hot day like we are having now it makes doing the day a lot safer IMO. We snagged the little Toy Hauler on craigslist locally. I did have to go buy a larger more powerful truck to pull it but I knew that when I bought the TH. A strong V8 is necessary and the Tundra fit the bill.

Barber July 24 2010:
BarberSTT7-24-10.jpg

I use a Pitbull strapless restraint system on one side of the hauler that is cool. No heavy pulling on your suspension that you spent big bucks on. Here it is shown with my Bandit in the Toy Hauler. FYI the pin kit for the Bandit is the same as for my '07 GSX-R600;-)
PBrestraintwBandit.jpg

If you get a chance to do a trackday definitely go do it trackbike or not. I guarantee you will be hooked and will slow down on the street.

Totally psyched about this weekend - only 4 days away until my first track day.

Going to Nelson Ledges in Ohio with the MotoSeries group http://www.motoseries.com/ . I, of course, will be in the newbie group. The deal for Saturday May 14 was $105 - not bad for a day on the track with some good instruction.

My bike prep for the newb class was real easy and it's ready for the trailer.

1) Be in perfect order with good tires - check.
2) Removed mirrors - check.
3) Pulled both headlight 10A fuses instead of unplugging bulbs - check.
4) Disconnect rear tail light/brake light connector instead of taping over lens - check
5) Tape over speedomteter as they do not want you focusing on speed - check.

I already have Sidi Race boots, FieldSheer full leathers and pucks, Shoei RF1000 helmet, and some nice gauntlet style gloves.......this is why I'm now broke - HA!

I can't imagine what a pain in the butt it would be to convert a streetbike to track then back again without buying a track bike. I may stay in the newb class for a while - or my riding may keep me there!!!! :trust:

I'm riding up there with my "advanced class buddy and his Ape". It's amazing to see him ride - gives me hope. :)

Photos to be posted this weekend unless I'm in traction!!!!!:giveup:

Phil

So is it safe to say that no tracks allow glycol based coolant!? Just curious as I'd like to go to one sooner or later after I learn the bike some more and get used to my new PR2s after coming from the HORRIBLE stockers about 280 miles ago! ;-)

Checking my mail & on-line 'stuff' 20 minutes before getting on the road to Infineon Raceway (Sears Point). I'll be attending Reg Pridmore's "CLASS" for $350........

WooHOO!!!
Gotta shower, y'all have a good day.... and I'm gonna try to unlearn 40 years of bad riding habits in one day. Yeah, roooooight!

:rider:

Nice write up. Track days are some of the best training that you can do for road riding. My road riding is so much safer now. You can really spot the difference between those riders who have done track days and those that haven't. Getting a track bike is always fun but it is not necessary. Remove plate, remove front and rear light fuses, remove mirrors deflate tires (31front, 29 rear) and I'm ready to go! Only takes 20 mins for the lot. This is my track bike AND daily ride.....

photo.jpg

562.jpg

I had a Bandit 600. It was a great bike for the money (probably one of the best 'value' bikes ever?). I did find that the brakes weren't really up to doing track days when I started pushing harder. If you are going to use it on the track again think about getting some stainless steel lines. Better brakes = more speed. I wouldn't worry about tires. Even modern sport touring tires are way better than most of us. I have been using the OEM Dunlop Qualifiers on mine until this weeknd. Everyone reckons they are ****. However they seem to do okay for me? Have fun and enjoy and see what a differnce it makes to your road riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slow down on the street? Let me know how that one works out once you put a few more under your belt. :mrgreen: I at least haven't found the magic elixir for taming the right wrist.

PhilS, enjoy your time at Nelson Ledges. The one tip I have for you is to realize that while that track surface looks like complete crap, there's a ton of grip to be had out there. It's not the most confidence inspiring to look at, but while you tiptoe around a really crappy looking section, you'll get passed by a much faster guy who knows there's traction there and has confidence in it.

If you want to really get stoked, you can check out my video below I took. I'm a slow guy so don't take this as a "fast" video. However, it's kind of cool because you can see how uneven the track is by seeing how much work the suspension is doing, but it does it's job and holds the tires to the track.

http://www.leanangle.com/vids/NLOneLap.wmv

Oh - now you've done it!!! I'm totally stoked about this Saturday!!! Thanks Jasen!!! Nice camera angle. I need to get my GoPro mounted there as well for that view. Man that front wheel is really moving!

Yup, experiment with the mounting locations of your camera and you'll find some cool stuff you can get. I like mounting to the windshield facing the rider as well.

Just ride like there's no camera on there at all. The worst things happen when you are trying to get "good footage."

Seems like track season is gearing up...I'm off to my first track day tomorrow at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA. The forecast has been looking a bit iffy, but a little rain hasn't ever stopped me from riding or learning anything.

I'm riding my Bandit to and from the event, and I'll be sure to post a report :o)

I'm about to die, two years since my last trackday, I so need to find the time to get back out.

Slow down on the street? Let me know how that one works out once you put a few more under your belt. :mrgreen: I at least haven't found the magic elixir for taming the right wrist.

:tab It slowed me down on the street, that and having kids. When I think back to how I used to ride on the street, even though I was not crazy and reckless, I am amazed that I survived. It would have been real easy for me to just hit something in the road because I was over riding my sight lines and stopping distances on the twisties. Basically, I just got lucky. I could just as easily have been unlucky, especially with all the deer in these parts... One of the reasons for getting into DS riding was to shift my thrills from fast riding to more technical riding. I find that I ride a much more relaxed pace on the street now. It has been a while since my last trackday. As of now, the only thing I could run on the track would be my 1200 GS. I'd like a nice motard for the track :trust:

PhilS, enjoy your time at Nelson Ledges. The one tip I have for you is to realize that while that track surface looks like complete crap, there's a ton of grip to be had out there. It's not the most confidence inspiring to look at, but while you tiptoe around a really crappy looking section, you'll get passed by a much faster guy who knows there's traction there and has confidence in it.

If you want to really get stoked, you can check out my video below I took. I'm a slow guy so don't take this as a "fast" video. However, it's kind of cool because you can see how uneven the track is by seeing how much work the suspension is doing, but it does it's job and holds the tires to the track.

http://www.leanangle.com/vids/NLOneLap.wmv

I have several videos of track days riding my Bandit 1250 on YouTube under "TheGaBandit" (Ga-Bandit was taken apparently - how dare they LOL.

I remember the first few was fun but intimidating. Just ride your ride and you'll be fine.

A GoPro suctioned on the tank (with safety lanyard made out of zip ties) set high will work great.

Have fun!

this video was taken while mounted to a tank mount on a regular camera
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGaBandit#p/u/11/Dy6_uf4qzNs

skip to minute 3
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGaBandit#p/u/9/GkLdHJP5IZ0

Hey those were some good videos...The quality and sound were very nice on the second one...You got some scary lean angles on there too!

So is it safe to say that no tracks allow glycol based coolant!?

Dunno about tracks near you, but TX track day outfits generally aren't concerned with coolant type... They usually inspect the bike at the beginning of the day to ensure you're not leaking any fluids, among other checks.

So is it safe to say that no tracks allow glycol based coolant!? Just curious as I'd like to go to one sooner or later after I learn the bike some more and get used to my new PR2s after coming from the HORRIBLE stockers about 280 miles ago! ;-)

I would not ride with any organization that allowed antifreeze in any group other than introduction.

But, you can find specific answers if you go to the 'calendar' section of the track you are interested in and view which organization is hosting an event and then go to their website to ask specific questions about their bike prep requirements.

Good info here (to keep these together):
http://www.foreven.com/trackdod/NoviceGuide/

Here is a map of the tracks
http://www.zeemaps.com/emap.jsp?group=6265&legend=1&list=1&x=-82.0898&y=35.0300&z=12

also, here is a checklist that can be modified:

Race Gear
Key for track bike (bring an extra one also if you have one)
Race suit
Race boots
Helmet with clean tinted shield
Race gloves
Under Armor (Heat or Cold Gear)

Pit
Fire extinguishers (One per bike)
Tool Box
First aid kit with Motrin or other painkiller
Tie downs (Check condition)
Gas cans
Rear stands
Duct tape
Painters Tape
Razors
Oil drain pan
Quart of engine oil
Funnels
Fan
Power cord
Power strip or 3-way
Shop towels
Shop rags
Spray cleaner
Axle grease
Chain lube
Chairs
Canopy
Tire gauge
Tire air compressor
Drop light
Flashlight
Broom and dust pan
Brake fluid
Hand cleaner
Battery charger

Camping Stuff
Bug spray
Tent
Pillows
Sleeping bags
Extra blankets
Air mattress
4 D Batteries for air mattress pump
4 AA Batteries for tent lamp
Car vacuum
Grill
Grill Utensils
Table
Electric heater (for cold weather)

Camera/Computer/Cell Phone Stuff
Digital camera and memory card
Batteries for digital camera (if not rechargeable)
Front and Rear digital cam recorder stand (On-Board Motorcycle Cam)
Digital cam recorder
Charge battery for digital cam recorder and bring charger
Digital film for cam recorder
Laptop
Power cord
Cell phone chargers

Dining
Coolers
Ice
Bottled water (lots of it)
Energy drinks
Fruit
Paper plates
Plastic ware
Paper towels
Sweets

I know the Texas organizations used to have the no antifreeze requirements. It's when I got into flushing my system twice a year. Recently someone pointed out that there isn't a requirement, at least not any more, and I had to go look it up.

I will still change mine out before a trackday however. I've been the guy waiting to go out on the track while the officials clean up from some idiot who left his in the bike and then went down, thus ruining his day and the day for many others. Won't be me. I've helped clean up oil from a downed bike and that's tough enough, I can't imagine trying to clean that mess up.

...at Infineon Raceday (or Sears Point for those of you as old as me....) This was my second ever Track Day, and I hope to do more!

I attended Reg Pridmore's CLASS, and though good, it did not meet with my expectations; but the fault was mine, not Reg's nor CLASS......

I went down expecting more static demonstrations or dry practice. I was expecting magical pearls of wisdom that when shared with me would give me plenty "ah ha" moments (well, there were in fact a couple 'ah ha' moments). I also thought that each (and every) rider would be followed by an instructor and given a little more one-one attention.

- instead -

Time in the "classroom" felt a little disorganized, but I fear it might have been because Reg' has been doing it for soooo long and done it soooo many times, that it's been reduced to an attempt at saying the same old things, while forgetting some of the finer points. It was as if he was mouth'ing an oft' repeated speech.... but either repeating or forgetting all of the contents of his original script that he had written a couple decades ago.

- and -

When instructors were out on the track, if you pass them going fast and manage to successfully navigate your way through a corner or a high-speed sweeper, it was assumed that you knew what you were doing..... and as a result, very little ATTENTION was given to you. I had to ask an instructor when I was riding among B Group, to watch me so I could get some feedback.....
During the lunch break, one of the instructors told me that I was riding too fast to be among the B Group. He told me not to worry about riding with the fast guys, as they eat up only Yamahas...., not Suzukis. When I was moved to A Group (and riding MUCH faster), I was now given no attention and left to my own devices for remembering/correcting my own bad habits or wrong techniques. I wanted, I'm sure I NEEDED, some help correcting 40 years of bad habits..... but now I was passing guys in A Group, dragging the edges of my boots, even grinding down one of my foot peg feelers.

I was not smooth, I was herky jerky, there was NO economy of motion in the saddle of my bike, I was stabbing at the brake levers, and grabbing as much throttle as possible. In short, though "fast".... I don't believe I was in "control".

All said, I think a guy looking to do a Track Day with CLASS is giving the extra money to be under a famous name (who is a 'has been', but my hero during Battle of the Twins at Sears Point in the 70's). I also think that more mature and 'serious' riders are willing to pay the big bucks for CLASS because there are fewer squids who make the track dangerous. Though it didn't happen often, a couple people made some real serious wierd/dangerous moves on the track that could have been at my expense.....; and I understand that there are more incidents like this at other 'cheaper' Track Days that have less supervision. In short, I find myself asking just what I got for my $350 (?)....,
but I enjoyed my day none-the-less.

Yeah..... I'm anxious to do more Track Days, but I would like more personal instruction to help me cure 40 years worth of bad habits.

Apparently there was a photographer there taking pictures of us on the track. In a couple days, they will be posted somewhere on CLASS's web site and available for purchase. If you happen to go there and see pic's, I will be the guy dressed in a black Motoport two piece with Hi Viz yellow stripes on the sleeves and pants.... riding a silver SV650 with tiny black & silver bikini fairing. I can't wait to see what bad habits of mine were captured on film, but I wish the instructors would have caught them before they were saved to film.....
And YES, I had fun, Fun, FUN!!!

Some pics of my day:
40 miles from home, on the road, stopping for a quick pic"

P5100035.jpg

Yer basic breakfast of champions:

P5100038.jpg

Fighting traffic on Hwy 37 to Sears Point:

P5100041.jpg

Making time, getting excited, almost there!

P5100048.jpg

Finally there a couple hours later, unloaded the bike.... and the bladder:

P5100055.jpg

Reg Pridmore and Gigi, his wife:

P5100058.jpg

Some of the other instructors:

P5100060.jpg

That's interesting, I expected to hear more of a glowing review from them.

I'll throw another vote out for Keith Code's class. The thing that amazed me was the quality of instruction by the instructors out there. I think there were three students assigned to each instructor and they'd seek you out and find you each and every session. I was also amazed at their ability to guage what your comfort level was. I was assigned to an instructor who also had a guy in our group on an R1 that was very fast. After leading me through a good portion of the lap showing me the right line through at a pace that was fast for me but I was still comfortable with, he gave me the thumbs up. Then he dropped in, in front of R1 guy and tapped his tail for the follow me signal and they took off. It was amazing to me that he could guage what each of us was comfortable with and lead us through.

Keith, yes he's cocky, but he happens to be right a bunch of the time and full of good information, so take what ya can and disregard the rest.

Back