• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #37 - WOOD

Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Last Name
Eubank
Wood is all around us in every place we look. The intricate lines of a fine piece of furniture, the warmth as we run our hand along a worn banister, the strength of a fencepost that's been in the ground for 30 years.....it's everywhere.

All are encouraged to submit a photo, you don't have to be a camera guru OR have a fancy camera. So dust off that manual and figure out how to expand your skills!

Use this thread to post examples and to get critique. A different thread will be opened up for your actual entry submission.

This assignment will run from now through midnight, August 16th. Use this thread for current shots or shots previously taken. All shots submitted in the ENTRY thread must be taken between now and midnight August 16th. The ENTRY thread will be opened up for you to post your actual entry. All forum posting rules apply.

Examples:

wood1c.jpg

wood2c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
must...not...take...picture.... :lol2: :mrgreen:

seriously, this should be good
563561122_5NWJD-M-2.jpg

501095347_PDPKo-M.jpg

Ahhh, one of my favorite subjects. Every piece of wood I see speaks to me, as if has a soul...

Here is some pallet wood I rescued from the a sure trip to the land fill so it could live on...

IMG_7105800.jpg

IMG_7114800.jpg

IMG_7130800.jpg

ModelWagon.jpg

I fallen tree I found along the Upper Bristlecone Trailhead, Nevada:

-Route66-MtCharleston-0533.jpg

Ahhh, one of my favorite subjects. Every piece of wood I see speaks to me, as if has a soul...

My inlaws bought a solid wood Amish-made dining table. I'm tellin' ya, running your hand across the top of that table is like gliding through melted butter. You can feel the craftsmanship in that table. We (they) spent an hour in the store talking about what they wanted, how they wanted it, etc. I spent an hour running my fingers across the wood of the different pieces of furniture, feeling the grain. MMMMMMMMMM Wood!

My inlaws bought a solid wood Amish-made dining table. I'm tellin' ya, running your hand across the top of that table is like gliding through melted butter. You can feel the craftsmanship in that table. We (they) spent an hour in the store talking about what they wanted, how they wanted it, etc. I spent an hour running my fingers across the wood of the different pieces of furniture, feeling the grain. MMMMMMMMMM Wood!

I have been building some heirlooms that I hope won't get sold off in a garage sale after Desert Wife and are gone. Hand crafted means a whole lot more to me than cookie cutter Star Furniture pieces do.

She shows me something she likes in some home decor mag and I make her one.

IMG_7698800.jpg

Thoughts???

IMG_2566.jpg

A little 'busy' IMO and not near the color saturations I think were present when you took the shot.

Here's one I shot yesterday for grins. Note the "Wood". lol

My caption reads:
MacKenzie (the rabid, fear inducing six-week old lab with a mean streak) vs Elma, (the great white hunter). No, MacKenzie wasn't stalked and eaten for supper, but we did have some fun while Elma was washing some bbq gear and MacKenzie just happened to be in the shade by the hose.
971597308_kb38i-L.jpg

No quality photography here, just some wood. A welsh lovespoon in Maple and a Spalted Maple bowl.

Attachments

• Spalted Maple 1.jpg
    Spalted Maple 1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 162
  • woodwork 003.jpg
    woodwork 003.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 164
Now that the contest is over, I'll comment on a couple of shots here that really caught my attention.

Tim........the fallen tree has so much going on it almost looks like a piece of art. That's a great shot! :clap:

But Desert Skies..........the shot of the Red Oak is just wonderful! I wish it'd have been eligible for the contest. The rough bark on the outside gives it a lot of texture with the soft yet vibrant red visible beneath......whew! Cropped down like this to remove the camera shadow at the bottom, it would have been a no-brainer for a win. :clap:

img7636800.jpg

Thanks BaxarWolf. Here's a shot of the whole tree. It must have gotten bucked and debarked by a recent flood, it was fresh and smelled of resin. I was looking at it and wishing I could have had it milled into planks and in my shop.

What a waste... :tears:

IMG_7638800.jpg

Back