• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

El Capitan "Fire" Falls

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
This is not my picture! It was so amazing, I had to share it, though. It is something I've added to my bucket list-- To capture the "fire falls" of El Capitan in Yosemite. It happens in a 2 week window in February.

horsetail-fall-s-fire-fall.8359.large_slideshow.jpg

Nice shot.... What causes that to occur and only for two weeks?

The highest fully-airborne waterfall in Yosemite which for a few minutes on a few days each year, turns a luminescent fiery orange
Horstail Fall is seasonal waterfall which flows in winter and early spring. The fall comes off the El Capitan mountain in two distinct streams and drops some 1570 feet onto steep slabs spraying up in a mist before continuing down another 500 feet to the bottom of the mountain.

But as beautiful as the fall is by itself, it is the few days every year during the last two weeks of February when it becomes the "fire fall" that people wait for. As the sun sets, and dips behind the horizon line, everything will begin to go dark and it will seem, for a moment, as if the firefall has failed to ignite. But as the last of the sunlight disappears it will hit and reflect off the falls at the exact right angle creating a spectacular, if short lived, effect which looks like a beautiful flowing cascade of fluid fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty amazing..... I wondered how the falls changed color, and as I was reading the text could see it shaping up on how that happens. Thanks!

Great explanation. Even I could understand that. Thanks for sharing.

http://firefall.info/

I'm not positive this is the same thing as they ended this in the 60's but it is very interesting and beautiful. Rick Roberts named his band "Firefall" after it.

Back