• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Garner State Park in Nov.

WoodButcher

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Myers
Kicking the idea around of heading out there again this year. I had fun on my own, but wouldn't mine a few other along. Last year I hit Lost Maples one day to see the leaves change so I kept my schedule a little flexible to make sure I saw some good color. Lost Maples SP campground is always booked that time of the year, but Garner isn't that much further and was very vacant midweek. I believe it is still fairly open on the weekends then too.

So, anybody up for a ride out there or just meeting there on Friday or Saturday night? Probably closer to the beginning of the month to avoid Thanksgiving family events.

Possible... if I am not in the desert already.

Might be interested, depending on what weekend you decide to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride in Friday and camp...

Ride all day Saturday and camp

Home Sunday...

:thumb:

I might be interested if it's something along these lines. I don't have any more days to take from work, but I'd love to get out for the weekend.

You thinking more street, or dirt?

trey

Okay, a target date of Nov. 12-14.

For that part of the state, probably mostly pavement.

I too have little vacation so I hope I could leave early enough on Friday to get out there in time to camp, but I won't be riding much at night. Too many deer out there. In which case I'd come out on Saturday morning.

Garner is nice, have camped there a few times but, if I remember correctly, no campfires are allowed. I likes me a drink with friends by a campfire. I've done koyote Ranch a couple of times and--to me--it's worth the extra $. Store, gas, restaurant, showers, firewood (for sale), internet (if I'm not mistaken). If I go up I'll probably stay at KR and hopefully meet up with others or at least wave while riding around...:rider:

I think you can have camp fires but you cant gather wood there, the little store just outside the park sells wood and go as slow as you can in the park, the ranger warned us twice and we were going so slow we were about to tip over, if it's all street riding I might like to come saturday morning on the connie and camp sat night. SZ.

Correct about the fires. They have rings near the campites in the portion I was in. It was like one near four sites. No collecting of wood, but they sell it. I had enough still lying in mine I had a nice little fire. I will admit to picking up twigs and finger sized deadfall around my site to get the bigger stuff going though.

Subscribed.

I would enjoy this ride. I'll keep an eye on your plans & hope to join you.:rider:

That the week after the time change and it's gonna get dark pretty early.
Plan accordingly...

We just made reservations for a screened shelter at Garner for November 5 - 8. We will ride in on Friday and set up camp, ride Saturday and Sunday. On one of those days we plan to hike at Lost Maples (even though it will be a little early for full color.) We will ride back home on Monday. Garner is now advertising wi-fi in the park. Last October when we were there, the camp store was open on Friday and Saturday for sure and maybe Sunday.

Ceci, since you will be there the week before please post up what the colors at Lost Maples are like so we know whether to swing over there for a hike.

Sounds good. Will watch for updates. BTW, there is a great campsite/cabin setup across the river from the park called Ms Majors. they don't have the restrictions the park does and it's a cool place right on the river. If not this time, maybe next...

I'd like to grab some dirt too! Anyone up for a dirt side trip? side dirt trip? trip side-ah, never mind you know what i mean

If your coming our way (337 to camp wood)stop in for some free pie if you let me have a head count by that Tuesday M.A.H. bakes on Wed.
chuger 650
DR650
1600 nomad
Two Fat Boys BBQ on 337 Camp Wood

Okay, time to bump this back up. I was just on the tpwd site checking to make reservations. I had planned on being in the Pecan Grove campsite area and there is space there, but Ron (thumper_tx) is planning on pulling a small trailer down and needs electricity, which there aren't any sites there with it. So it looks like Rio Frio campground is the place for us. There are 113 sites in the area and 63 are open for reservations on the 13th. I can't get out of Austin early enough to get down there on Friday.

So, who is in? and are you in agreement on the Rio Frio campground at Garner SP? If I get a general consensus I'll reserve a site.

Taking the trailer and truck over there in order to haul some firewood.
It costs a fortune in the small stores. May be cleared to ride by then but a camp fire sure is nice.
Reservations booked.
I will be arriving Friday early afternoon.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I'll head out there on Friday.
Look forward to riding the area , maybe do a hike at Lost Maples and eat lunch at the museum in Vanderpool :rider:

Back