• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for in ear or in helmet speakers

Reaction score
I just got a Droid with GPS and MP3 support and was wondering if anybody uses specialty in ear ear pieces for a full face helmet. Currently, I have in helmet speakers for a 2 way device (they velcro to the inside of the helmet) and its just not loud enough.

Nothing specialized. My wife uses JVC marshmallows and I use Skull Candy ink'd in ear buds. I don't have to increase volume and can hear music just fine at 70mph with a full face on.

I don't take calls though when I ride so if you do, I guess you need a headset with microphone and that starts to get tricky. Many helmets do bluetooth now.

I'm using a set of Phillips SBC HN060 Noise Canceling ear buds with "custom molded" ear pieces, in conjunction with my Autocom setup. I still hear traffic etc. but without the constant "buffeting", and when I take my helmet & the buds off everything "seems" loud compared to the levels I'm "used" to.

The "custom" molds were done for me by a local audiologist. Basically I put the buds in, then we "bedded" them in hearing aid mold material. This is "somewhat" similar to the Ear Fuze type system, but with the added benefits of active noise canceling.

John

Cool, thanks guys. I've been meaning to get some of those molded ear pieces and now I know they can have speakers in them. Note, this will not be for calls, I just want to listen to music during trips.

While I don't place calls while riding, I can, and occasionally do, receive calls, but am quick to tell 'em to call back later etc. if I'm in situations requiring all of my attention. The Autocom system integrates entertainment, GPS, phone & intercom. The Phillips buds are just "off the shelf" items like you'd use with an IPod or mp3 player etc.

I'm a big fan of active noise canceling, ever since discovering Peltor noise canceling ear muffs for shooting many years ago.

For me, combining active noise canceling with my "custom" molds has been wonderful. Of course, "your mileage may vary"... :sun:

John

I have Big Ear molded earphones and I love love them. They are pricey, but the 10 day Mexico trip I broke them in on made them easily worth it.

Route it thru an AmpliRider. You can just keep your helmet speakers. My cheapo ChatterBox in-helmet speakers are fine with a little amp behind them.

BTW, I'm jealous. Wife and I are both waiting for our Droid X phones to arrive. Meanwhile I have a cheap flip phone...:giveup:

Etymotic ER6i - best money I've spent on bike electronic gadgetry, period.

Those are the only ones that I use anymore, for everything, office, bike, travel, etc.

+ 1. They're stinkin' amazing.

I like them because they provide your music but also block your ear from wind noise. With daily commuting I worry about long term hearing damage.

I have the Eytmotic earphones and they are very good. But they are also very delicate. The wires are very fine. don't catch the wire on anything or you may ruin your earphones. My set only works on one side now and I haven't tried to take them apart as the actual earpieces and plug are fairly well sealed. It looks like you have to destroy some of the parts to open anything up.

Anybody know about repairs to Eytomotic 6s?

Pat McDonald

Etymotic ER6i - best money I've spent on bike electronic gadgetry, period.

Those are the only ones that I use anymore, for everything, office, bike, travel, etc.

+ 1. They're stinkin' amazing.

I like them because they provide your music but also block your ear from wind noise. With daily commuting I worry about long term hearing damage.

I have the Eytmotic earphones and they are very good. But they are also very delicate. The wires are very fine. don't catch the wire on anything or you may ruin your earphones. My set only works on one side now and I haven't tried to take them apart as the actual earpieces and plug are fairly well sealed. It looks like you have to destroy some of the parts to open anything up.

Anybody know about repairs to Eytomotic 6s?

Pat McDonald
Add me to the list of +1s! :thumb:

Pat is right, the cables are quite small. I would prefer a thicker cable, but my current set has lasted just fine for 3yrs now. Just have to be careful when winding them up.

My first set one channel separated right behind the 3.5mm jack. It was right around the 1yr mark. I contacted Etymotic and they replaced them, no questions asked. Even changed me out from the straight connector, to the 90* connector.

Sure wish they would make a moto-specific one with more sturdy cables.

I have not had experience with the ER6's, but these are decent. A bit more robust feeling than the ipod earbuds, but not amazing.

Seller has both red and blue kits. I bought one of each so I can have red for right ear, blue for left ear. Now I have enough for two earphone sets, just waiting on my drivers to arrive to make them.

_

what are you using for drivers and how did your experiment turn out?

what are you using for drivers and how did your experiment turn out?

For drivers I went cheap for my first set. Bought Sony EX-088 knockoffs on eBay. However for the price, $5.98 shipped from China, they sound amazing. Besides price I choose them for small size and fact that wires come directly out of the driver body. Many earbuds have a hard plastic molded piece coming an inch or so out of the earbud. I didn't want that as it could interfere with my helmet.

Sony EX-088:
sony_ex088.jpg

Molding process is very simple, Radians instructions are spot on. Only modification needed is for earbuds. Insert earbuds fully into your ear canal first and then push the Radians material behind and surrounding it to seal your ear cavity. You have plenty of time to make adjustments and smooth the finish before it starts to cure.

Finished product:
Test004.jpg
[/IMG]

Very easy to insert and remove the earplugs. Just pull up slightly on your upper ear when inserting and removing. The earbuds drop in and out your ears perfectly so no guesswork whether they are in properly. No mirror needed, you'll get the hang of it very quickly. No issues putting on or taking off the helmet either. Earbuds stay put until I pull up on my ear to release them.

_

Back