• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride from Houston to Ohio

skup

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Skupnjak
Heading to Cincinnati from Houston Thursday. Looking for route suggestions. Plan on going up 59 to Arkansas but would like routes other than the freeway through Tennessee and Kentucky.

I used to run back and forth pretty regularly. I tried several non interstate routes especially in Ky. running along the Ohio River. Very pretty and enjoyable, but it adds a lot of time to the trip.
On Interstates, I can do it in a long day. Avoiding Interstates north of Nashville, it always took me at least 3. Do you have that much time for the trip? If so, I'll try and look at the maps and remember some of my old routes.

Tough call. Done this route a few times and it is too long to do anything other that slab most of the way. Bluegrass Pkwy is a nice slice though.

Another option is I10E to I59N but you still have to deal with Montgomery, Chattanooga, Knoxville and the like... Other than that, not too bad...

Enjoy your trip!

You didn't say how much time you have. As others have noted - it's a long distance and fun roads take a lot longer than boring ones.

If you have time on the way back you should try the Nacheze Trace. Starts just west of Nashville. Riding north to south is a pretty ride.

59N after Livingston to the border is a dreadful route for me. Traffic lights and stop signs in most of the many small towns you will pass through. Also speed limit reduces from 65 to 55 to 45 to 35 thru most of them. Miss one sign and the strategically posted LEO are ready to give you a souveneir and forced donation to their local economy. Too far away to drive back and fight ticket later.

Since you have only two days to get there you are riding main highways. Better to take 10E past Baton Rouge and then 55N through Missisippi up to Memphis. Maybe 50 miles longer but you'll appreciate much fewer stop and go's and get to see different scenery.

_

If you have time on the way back you should try the Nacheze Trace. Starts just west of Nashville. Riding north to south is a pretty ride.

What rode is that? Not familiar with it

Even at 50 MPh might not work for me this trip. I think I will do the interstate to Tennessee and Kentucky and try some smaller roades from there.

Back