• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

saving my pennies for a new camera

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
I should be able to order it in 30-40 years. And that's just the back.

P65+

average scene has a dynamic range of 10 stops
P65+ has 12.5 stops of dynamic range.
decent dSLRs are 4-5 stops
...and the human eye has a range of 20 stops factoring in the variability of the iris with 10 times the contrast ratio of a digital sensor 10,000:1 vs 100,000:1

Last edited:
Nice, I'm shopping for a camera and decided to check out the 3/4 frame cameras. Was looking at the Leica M9 until I saw the price. Nikon D90, you might be in my future.

Watch ccostco for great deals on the D90.

Check Amazon also. I bought a D60 last year, and it was cheaper than Circuit City's going-out-of-business price. And many of their camera sources do free shipping.

I was more pointing out that the Leica was $8400.00!

However I will be shopping, as soon as I get this figured out with the insurance company for my stolen D70. I'm torn at the moment though, stay loyal to Nikon or go with a Canon. I lost both my lenses so it's a fresh start for me.

Thanks for the tips, my D70 was purchased with my employee discount at the time, so I have no clue on shopping these things these days.

In a nutshell you've got the following at a D90 and above. Body only:

D90 +/- $900
D300s +/- $1300
D700 +/- $2500
D2x +/- $7500

The D90 is a crop sensor as is the 300s. The 300s uses the D90's sensor and is almost identical for all features/functions but the 300s is more suited to sports boasting something like 8 frames per second. The D90 has a bit better high ISO results for some odd reason according to a lot of tests. So if you go the crop sensor route, the D90 fits the bill if high fps isn't an issue.

The D700 jumps you into the full-frame arena and another league beyond the D90 and D300s.

The D2x is yet another leap beyond the D700.

In the "For what it's worth" department, I'm very pleased with my Nikon gear. Yet most of the EXIF information I see posted from shots over on dgrin are using Canon gear. Take that any way you want, but it's clear the impression is more Canon users over the others.

Yea, we owned a couple of Nikons. From film to digital and selling them I have always been happy with all of their products.

Here's something to boast as a sales person. For all the Nikon SLR's I sold, I only ever had two returned. Both were ignorant customers. The first returned it because it had terrible color. That happens when you use the cheapest kodak film and develop it at walmart. Hard for it to be the cameras fault on that one, especially with film. Second found her camera to be too complicated. This was despite us showing her the auto setting and the fact she bought it for a photography class.

So, I never had a single one returned for any valid reason and had lots of satisfied customers. Quite a few of the low end Canons were returned however. I however have family and friends with Canon's that are very happy with them and having played with them, I like them a lot too. One thing that does appeal to me though is it seems for comparable lenses, Canon always seems to come out less expensive. If you are going to buy a bunch of lenses, that's pretty important.

I'll be back to spending time on dpreview and various locations when it's time to look. Gotta get other things like the claim out of the way first. It's always something isn't it?

My last film Nikon, a 6006, was in a canoe that swamped. The lens was ruined, but I dried the camera body out with a hair drier, and 15 years later it still works. Of course, there's no Ektachrome 64 anymore, so where's the joy? I'm all digital these days.

Yet most of the EXIF information I see posted from shots over on dgrin are using Canon gear. Take that any way you want, but it's clear the impression is more Canon users over the others.

Maybe that's another hint why the clique over there is tightly wound

small irritation with the D90. wish it had remote trigger capability that was 1) wireless, 2) not IR/line of site. Makes working with a tripod a PIA and very limiting.

You might have some validity with that observation. It's a hard forum to 'break in to'.......

cameras don't bond people together like bikes. Just my 2 cents.

I guess my google ninja skills are not what they use to be :shrug:

Thanks for the heads up on that. Have one on the way with 3 receivers--one for shutter, 2 for flash. Film at 11 (days).

Last edited:
Back