• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thoughts after first "fun" ride

Reaction score
Took the "new" Bandit out on some of my local riding roads today. Other than commuting, this is the first real ride since I got the bike home a week ago. Oh joy, I love this bike. So here are some thoughts after spending about 4 hours (including lunch) out riding.

It is pretty windy and noisy once you hit 70 mph. On balance, I'll take the wind over the barn door fairing of my ST, but if I end up doing any long rides I may opt for something like the Skidmarx double bubble. At lower speeds, I'm pretty happy with the stock shield. I know a lot of people don't like it, but it seems to work for me. There's much less buffeting and back-pressure than on my ST1300. Maybe being 5'8" has some advantages?

I still want to pull the bars back, and raise them slightly. Gotta get that new brake line ordered. The stock ones are better than I thought they'd be, but my neck is bothering me a bit. Unlike many people, I guess, I don't seem to have a problem with the angle of the bars. My wrists haven't bothered me at all. As someone else said, though, the bars are kinda' wide. Sliding my hands inward so they're on the switches seems significantly more comfortable, at least for the short intervals i could hold them there. What's the easiest way to remove the pins that hold the switch housings in in place on the bars? Any drawbacks to doing so?

The pegs are a little high, for me, for extended riding. They're fine for now, but if I do decide to start touring on this thing, I'm going to need to lower them a bit.

The Spencer modified seat is significantly better than stock. On the stock saddle on the bike I test rode I was starting to get sore in about 45 minutes. Today, I was starting to feel it after about 90 minutes, but it never really got any worse than that. This saddle will be fine for anything I'm likely to do in the near future. True long distance riding might require something better.

I put on a pair of much heavier bar-end weights, and some Grab-on foam grips, and they've pretty much taken care of any vibration through the bars.

I do wish there were some small storage bins in the fairing. Some place to stick a pair of glasses would be handy.

The Michelin Pilots on this bike don't thrill me. Compared to whatever the stock tires were on the '09 I rode, the Pilots seem to turn in quite a bit more slowly, and seem to want to take a set at particular lean angles. On fast sweepers, the bike seemed to lean in part way and pause, then lean in some more as I applied more pressure to the bars. The OEM tires were much more neutral. (Although I understand the OEM tires wear real fast.) The Pilots aren't terrible, but I've certainly ridden on tires I like better.

Yesterday, I added my grip heaters, too, and they were very nice when the air turned chilly at "higher" elevations.

Did I mention I love this bike? Comfortable enough to get me to the fun roads, fast and agile enough to be good on the fun roads, an engine that almost makes the gear box unnecessary, and enough power to scare the piss out of me. (OK, call me a wimp, those of you who had to go to Dale's stage 2 kit because the Bandit's too slow. It's fast enough for me.)

The first four cylinder bike I ever rode was a '77 GS750, and it was a revelation at the time. The Bandit is that bike on steroids. The one bike I probably had more fun on than any other was a Suzuki GS850. That bike had a better seat, and the shaft drive was great for touring, but the Bandit makes me remember all the fun I had on that. It's a keeper.

Sounds like you'll be happy with the bike, as you & your Bandit grow accustomed to each other. Riding around Fairfax? Before I retired, I used to go to Reston on business a lot; you really do have some nice riding roads in the area. I often explored them in a rent Grand-Am. Great names, too. I was always intrigued by "Old Ox Road."

I actually headed a fair bit west, out towards the Shenendoah. Was up around Front Royal for lunch.

There are a bunch of Ox roads around here, including Ox, West Ox, and Old Ox. A couple of others, I think, too. What's now Chantilly was apparently called Ox Hill during the Civil War, but I can't find out what the derivation of that name is.

I'm pretty happy with the stock shield. I know a lot of people don't like it, but it seems to work for me.
I prefer the wind of a sport bike over the lack of found behind a "barn door" too. All I ask is that the shield take the wind off my chest.... I've found contentment behind Suzuki's "touring" windshield; no taller than the shield on the bike allready, but a 'double bubble' design to it for improved protection.

I still want to pull the bars back, and raise them slightly. Gotta get that new brake line ordered.
I have Gen Mar bar-backs/risers with the factory cables & lines. I would like to rotate my bars back more but I haven't made an effort to reroute/free-up the OEM lines... some people claim to have had success doing this.

Sliding my hands inward so they're on the switches seems significantly more comfortable, at least for the short intervals i could hold them there.
Sliding hands inward effectively changes the wrist angle in relation to one's shoulders.... I bent my OEM handlebars forward (off the bike), and mounted my grips 'inward' a bit; it's better for my short arms.

What's the easiest way to remove the pins that hold the switch housings in in place on the bars? Any drawbacks to doing so?
I've been removing those pins on a few bikes over the years.... simple as a knife, tiny file, whatever works for you, they come off easily enough. My technique is to wrap a layer of electrical tape over the bars so the controls have something to bite onto when tightening them down.

The Spencer modified seat is significantly better than stock.
I wish I knew of the inexpensive service Spencer offered before I butchered my seat with my own electrical knife. It works for me, but Spencer will not work on (and lower) a seat that has already been modified in ANY way.

True long distance riding might require something better.
Alaska Leather's sheepskin seat cover. I've had mine for ten years and several bikes; makes a bad seat good....!

The Michelin Pilots on this bike don't thrill me. Compared to whatever the stock tires were on the '09 I rode, the Pilots seem to turn in quite a bit more slowly,
Pilot Power 2CT's on my FZ1 were absolutely MAGAICAL, offering quicker turn-in and good grip in all sorts of particulate. (I'm trying my hand at Dunlop's new Q2 on my little SV650 to see what I think)

Yesterday, I added my grip heaters, too, and they were very nice when the air turned chilly at "higher" elevations.
Adding hand guards would complete the package for you.
- BUT -
The handguards off a DL650 ("Wee Strom") seem to mount at an odd angle, leaving MUCH to be desired for protection from the cold wind. I've seen the set-up that some guy did to his DL by mounting into place some appropriately trimmed plastic milk cartons to the top of his hand guards, offering much needed ADDED protection from the wind that rushes over the guards that seem to be angled down too low.

the shaft drive was great for touring, but the Bandit makes me remember all the fun I had on that.
I've been using Dupont w/Teflon to lube my chain. My first chain lasted me over 25,000 miles of abuse. Modern chains are wonderful, as are the lubricants and cleaning agents I use on them (to include WD-40).

ENJOY THE BANDIT, I do!

Maybe being 5'8" has some advantages?

....I'm also 5'8" and I also feel it the same way....

I put on a pair of much heavier bar-end weights, and some Grab-on foam grips, and they've pretty much taken care of any vibration through the bars.
.....Where and what type of bar ends? >>>>>>

The Michelin Pilots on this bike don't thrill me. Compared to whatever the stock tires were on the '09 I rode, the Pilots seem to turn in quite a bit more slowly, and seem to want to take a set at particular lean angles. On fast sweepers, the bike seemed to lean in part way and pause, then lean in some more as I applied more pressure to the bars. The OEM tires were much more neutral. (Although I understand the OEM tires wear real fast.) The Pilots aren't terrible, but I've certainly ridden on tires I like better.

<<< I got 2400 out of the stock rear...over 10K on my last pilot road 2...I used a Metzler M3 front for a bit then tried a road 2 there also..initially a lot quicker turn in ...got used to it no idea on mileage yet for front >>>
Did I mention I love this bike? Comfortable enough to get me to the fun roads, fast and agile enough to be good on the fun roads, an engine that almost makes the gear box unnecessary, and enough power to scare the piss out of me. (OK, call me a wimp, those of you who had to go to Dale's stage 2 kit because the Bandit's too slow. It's fast enough for me.)
\
<<<< me also..esp since I changed gearing (rec..18 / 46) stock 18/43
The first four cylinder bike I ever rode was a '77 GS750, and it was a revelation at the time. The Bandit is that bike on steroids. The one bike I probably had more fun on than any other was a Suzuki GS850. That bike had a better seat, and the shaft drive was great for touring, but the Bandit makes me remember all the fun I had on that. It's a keeper.

<< was it a GS 850G? If so same I had, like Bandit as in Sport Tourer...kept it 38K miles and if they still had one..would do it again ( my 1st 4 cyl was a Honda 550...great bike for it's time) >>>>

I actually headed a fair bit west, out towards the Shenendoah. Was up around Front Royal for lunch.

There are a bunch of Ox roads around here, including Ox, West Ox, and Old Ox. A couple of others, I think, too. What's now Chantilly was apparently called Ox Hill during the Civil War, but I can't find out what the derivation of that name is.

It was Chantilly Plantation near what was called Ox Hill ( Wilson's Creek and Oak Hill in Missouri gave similar names, same as a lot of CW battlefields ..Antietam/Sharpsburg, Bull Run/ Manassas..generally the South called them by local towns, and the North by local landmarks

<< was it a GS 850G? If so same I had, like Bandit as in Sport Tourer...kept it 38K miles and if they still had one..would do it again ( my 1st 4 cyl was a Honda 550...great bike for it's time) >>>>

Yep, 850G, shaft drive. I had a '79 that I wrecked and replaced with an '80. I put almost 50K on that bike, including a 6 week, 10,000 mile trip around the US. Loved that bike.

The bar-end weights came from Manic Salamander: http://www.manicsalamander.com/application_finder.htm The ones I have were originally on my Honda ST, and I had to adapt them a little to fit the 'zook. It doesn't look like they make ones exactly like mine, but they're basically like the tapered ones, 2nd down on the left. I've got just weights, not a throttle lock.

Another source of good heavy bar ends is HVMP: http://www.hvmp.com/

edit: Almost forgot, I've got a pic. Here's one of my weights, mounted on the Bandit.

Attachments

• bar weight 2.jpg
    bar weight 2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 116
My cuz had bought an 82 GS1000G and put a Windjammer on it with bags for our trip to Colorado, Kansas, Mo and Arkansas back in '83 I think. Great bike. Funny thing was that at every gas stop , he took just a few tenths less gas than my '82 XV920RH Yamaha with a parahna fairing and soft bags.

The bar-end weights came from Manic Salamander...

Do the bar-end weights make a noticeable difference? I don't find the steering to have a lot of vibe but I've been told it's because I just don't know any better.

Do the bar-end weights make a noticeable difference?

In all honesty, on this bike the improvement is pretty small. I don't find the buzz that does come through the bars objectionable, but maybe after 8 hours in a day I would. I think my butt, knees and shoulders would give out long before my hands started to bother me.

If I didn't already have the weights from another bike, I don't think I'd pay the money for them. They do look cook, though. :-P

For those that are bothered by the vibes, I've heard really good things about the bar snake, which Dale Walker sells.

http://www.barsnake.com/

The one bike I probably had more fun on than any other was a Suzuki GS850
The 850 is my all-time best value bike. 30k miles for $700. the only drama was when you'd be going down the road and the 850 became a 425. I got real good at pulling out the broken set of points and putting in a fresh set. back to 850 again.
sold that bike twice. first time it ended up in impound still in my name so i paid the fee and sold it again.

Back