PDA

View Full Version : Is Suzuki a "Cheap" Brand?

jjhoneck
09-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I purchased a 2008 Suzuki GSX650F earlier this summer, new from the dealer. Thus far, with 600 miles on the bike, I couldn't be happier. It's everything I could want in a smallish sport bike, and more. In fact, it's reinvigorated my love of motorcycling, after nearly 20 years of semi-dormancy.

I also own an '86 Honda GL1200 Goldwing, and in the past have owned a Kawasaki 750 and an old '66 Honda 160. I've ridden all sorts of bikes, from dirt bikes to big cruisers -- but the GSX is my first Suzuki.

The other day I was talking with my 20-year old son (who rides a Yamaha FZ600), and made a casual comment about how I love the bike, but hate the horrible seat on my Gixxer. (I'm looking for a Corbin replacment, to save my butt!) His comment was "Well, that's what you get for buying a Suzuki." His attitude, and apparently that of his friends, is that Suzuki is inferior in some way to Yamaha, Honda, and Kawaski.

I have never heard this before, although my exposure to sport cycling has been pretty limited in the last couple of decades. I have not noticed any measurable, qualitative difference between this cycle, and any of my previous cycles. (I had to replace the seat on my Goldwing, because it was so substandard.) In fact, this bike is vastly superior to anything I've ever owned, in every measurable way.

Is his opinion a common attitude nowadays? Do people look down on Suzukis for some reason? Is Suzuki considered to be a "lesser" bike, or is my kid just nuts? :huh:

charrito
09-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Your kid is just nuts.

Chirpy
09-12-2010, 10:19 PM
They rule club racing, and they are built to be wrenched, they are far easier to work on than my Hondas were. The paint and general fit and finish might be a little inferior to the higher priced Hondas, but all the Japanese bikes look like agricultural equipment next to Harleys or Aprilias.

I'm kinda shocked that Suzuki's have no street cred, as I said, they rule club racing, and their dominance in the last decade of US road racing is staggering.

jjhoneck
09-12-2010, 10:25 PM
They rule club racing, and they are built to be wrenched, they are far easier to work on than my Hondas were. The paint and general fit and finish might be a little inferior to the higher priced Hondas, but all the Japanese bikes look like agricultural equipment next to Harleys or Aprilias.

I'm kinda shocked that Suzuki's have no street cred, as I said, they rule club racing, and their dominance in the last decade of US road racing is staggering.

So...they really DO have no "street cred"? This seems bizarre to me, but then I've seen every possible prejudice, from Ford/Chevy, to Cessna/Piper. Sometimes these things take on a life of their own, for no apparent reason.

I haven't noticed anything inferior in fit and finish on my Suzuki, quite honestly. The paint on my GSX650F is nothing short of beautiful, if I do say so myself. Every person who sees the bike remarks on how great-looking it is...

HarleyMXR
09-12-2010, 10:34 PM
son is nuts's. Its just ford vs chevy. The seat on kawa and yama is no better. Good friend has the same bike as you he is on his second one because of a lady hitting his first bike both have been rock solid and its a blast to ride.

BlueStreak
09-12-2010, 10:41 PM
The gixxer's are at least as fast and handle as well as anything in their classes. I think quality and reliability is equal to anything comparable.

In general, I would say that fit and finish is superior on Honda's than on the other Japanese brands, but not by a lot.

As for the seat, the seats on the last two Honda's I had sucked, and they were supposed to be long distance bikes (ST1100 & ST1300). The 1100 got an aftermarket seat, the 1300 a Spencer mod. My son's CBR600RR seat might as well be made of cheese. Come to think of it, cheese would be more comfortable. He's got a Corbin on his. Heck, people even replace Goldwing seats with aftermarket ones.

Check out the Corbin, Sargent and Russell web sites. It would appear owners of all brands want better seats.

Suzuki invented the lightweight supersport class with the GS750, and reinvented it with the GSXR. Nothing personal, but your son's an idiot.

jjhoneck
09-12-2010, 10:45 PM
son is nuts's. Its just ford vs chevy. The seat on kawa and yama is no better. Good friend has the same bike as you he is on his second one because of a lady hitting his first bike both have been rock solid and its a blast to ride.

The thing that's so bad about this attitude is that -- if it gains traction among young people (like my son and his friends) -- it can decimate a brand. Just look at what happened to Pontiac, when young people got it in their heads that "Pontiacs suck".

Was a Pontiac really any different than a Chevy? Of course not. But the brand is now gone. Perception is reality, when it comes to sales and marketing.

jjhoneck
09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Nothing personal, but your son's an idiot.

Hey -- I've been telling my wife that for 20 years! :lol2:

(Actually, he's a junior at the University if Iowa, on a full-boat Army ROTC scholarship. He's a hard working, sharp kid, and we're very proud of him... :thumb:)

I don't think it's him, per se. Although he's been riding with me since his feet could reach the pegs of my Goldwing, he's new to sport bikes, and is (I fear) only parroting back what he's hearing in his peer group.

That's what made me wonder if maybe this attitude was widespread, and I was the clueless one. It wouldn't be the first time... ;-)

poser
09-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Suzuki's have plenty of street cred, every pants sagg'n hat turned sideways wear g-dawg wants a streached out boosa (haybusa)

and like chirpy said they rule club racing, in multilple classes, the little SV650 is a fav for many racers.
Heck if you just got to a track day Zuks noticabley out number the other makes

kurt
09-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Suzuki often uses dated looking components in a cost savings attempt, but they make good stuff.

terrebandit
09-12-2010, 11:07 PM
I think the fit and finish are excellent on Suzukis. I've owned four of them since 1980 and all have been great.

Gilk51
09-12-2010, 11:12 PM
I am not familiar with the GSX650 but it seems it is a hybrid between the old Katana and an older, smaller Bandit. The nickname "gixxer" is usually reserved for the GSXR super sport series which has 600, 750, 1000, and 1300 (busa). Nothing wrong with any of those and I doubt a detractor will affect the brand, after all, there are still Fords, Chevys, and Mopars today, regardless of the bashing each has gotten in the last 50 years.

jjhoneck
09-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Suzuki often uses dated looking components in a cost savings attempt, but they make good stuff.

???

What is an example of a "dated-looking component"?

jjhoneck
09-12-2010, 11:49 PM
I am not familiar with the GSX650 but it seems it is a hybrid between the old Katana and an older, smaller Bandit. The nickname "gixxer" is usually reserved for the GSXR super sport series which has 600, 750, 1000, and 1300 (busa). Nothing wrong with any of those and I doubt a detractor will affect the brand, after all, there are still Fords, Chevys, and Mopars today, regardless of the bashing each has gotten in the last 50 years.

The GSX650F is what I call an "old man's sport bike". The geometry of the seat/handlebars is such that you're not laying over quite so far, which means my old(er) wrists are mercifully less stressed. At anything over 60 mph, the wind on your chest takes the rest of the weight off your hands, and it's very comfortable.

The engine/drivetrain is less peaky than a pure sport bike, with more mid-range grunt, making it more "roadable" in normal, every day riding. The suspension can be set up sport-bike stiff, but it can also be set to a more comfortable "sport touring" setting. The brakes are sport-bike strong, and the engine is remarkably responsive.

I personally think Suzuki got this bike as close to perfect as any mid-sized bike can be. The fact that it's an almost perfect compromise is sometimes used as a criticism of the model (read the reviews), but I really appreciate Suzuki's efforts to get it right.

Never heard the origin of the nickname "Gixxer". Everyone, from the dealer to strangers on the street, have referred to my new ride as a "Gixxer".

tshelfer
09-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Meaning no offense to your son, but he and his friends probably also don't like your haircut, your pants, your music or your car. Some things are just generational.

Street cred? Who decides that? Who cares?

jjhoneck
09-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Meaning no offense to your son, but he and his friends probably also don't like your haircut, your pants, your music or your car. Some things are just generational.

Street cred? Who decides that? Who cares?

"Hair". I remember that stuff! :roll:

Yeah, I don't much care what he thinks of my ride -- heck, he's 1240 miles away. I was just curious if this was something that everyone knew about Suzukis but me! :eek2:

Glad to hear it's all B.S.

TWTim
09-13-2010, 12:18 AM
A decade of American Superbike racing speaks loudly in favor of Suzuki's outright superiority:

2009 AMA Superbike Champion | Mat Mladin | Suzuki | 10 wins
2008 AMA Superbike Champion | Ben Spies | Suzuki | 7 wins
2007 AMA Superbike Champion | Ben Spies | Suzuki | 7 wins
2006 AMA Superbike Champion | Ben Spies | Suzuki | 10 wins
2005 AMA Superbike Champion | Mat Mladin | Suzuki | 11 wins
2004 AMA Superbike Champion | Mat Mladin | Suzuki | 8 wins
2003 AMA Superbike Champion | Mat Mladin | Suzuki | 10 wins
2002 AMA Superbike Champion | Nicky Hayden | Honda | 9 wins
2001 AMA Superbike Champion | Mat Mladin | Suzuki | 4 wins
2000 AMA Superbike Champion | Mat Mladin | Suzuki | 4 wins
1999 AMA Superbike Champion | Mat Mladin | Suzuki | 1 win

Suzuki rules, and this is coming from one of the biggest Kawasaki loyalists on TWT. :mrgreen:

jjhoneck
09-13-2010, 12:21 AM
A decade of American Superbike racing speaks loudly in favor of Suzuki's outright superiority:

Suzuki rules, and this is coming from one of the biggest Kawasaki loyalists on TWT. :mrgreen:

Interesting stats. Taking this thread down a different road, so what is it about the Suzukis that has produced such remarkable dominance in racing?

TWTim
09-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Interesting stats. Taking this thread down a different road, so what is it about the Suzukis that has produced such remarkable dominance in racing?

It was sort of a "perfect storm" of factors falling into place for the company all at once. They started producing what was (is) hands-down the fastest, best performing superbike platform, just as they were incorporating an astoundingly talented, cocky young Australian rider named Mat Mladin into their race program. All that, combined with a topnotch crew chief and team, resulted in what is now fondly referred to by fans as the "Factory Yoshimura Suzuki Era".

Don't let your kid beat you down with all that anti-Suzuki, pro-Yamaha propaganda. Yamaha's race results are pretty much an embarrassment compared to Suzuki's dominance.

That said, virtually all Japanese bikes are fantastically produced these days. Walk into any showroom, close your eyes and point, and you'll have picked an excellent motorbike. :thumb:

tshelfer
09-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Tim is dead right. The quality and engineering of the big four Japanese builders is so good today that it really comes down to personal likes & dislikes - and possibly a few tenths of a second in the 0-to-60 game, if that's really important to you. I've turned away from Honda, but not due to quality. They just don't have a lot of modern bikes that fit my shopping list.

kojack06
09-13-2010, 04:06 AM
Hey -- I've been telling my wife that for 20 years! :lol2:

(Actually, he's a junior at the University if Iowa, on a full-boat Army ROTC scholarship. He's a hard working, sharp kid, and we're very proud of him... :thumb:)

I don't think it's him, per se. Although he's been riding with me since his feet could reach the pegs of my Goldwing, he's new to sport bikes, and is (I fear) only parroting back what he's hearing in his peer group.

That's what made me wonder if maybe this attitude was widespread, and I was the clueless one. It wouldn't be the first time... ;-)

Congrats on your sons scholarship. I earned my Regular Army commission in '82 with an ROTC scholarship.

I have NEVER heard of Suzuki being called a "cheap" brand. When I think of Suzuki, I think of their 170 lb open class factory works motocrossers, Roger DeCoster, Joel Roberts, etc. I am also reminded of the famous RMs and their 2-stroke PEs. Their 2 stroke "GT" series small bore street bikes were in high demand when I was a teenager.

I ride a DR and have been EXTREMELY pleased with it, having "returned" to biking after a 30 yr break(it was that Army duty...)

gospeed81
09-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Tim is dead right. The quality and engineering of the big four Japanese builders is so good today that it really comes down to personal likes & dislikes

This...heck, some of the bikes are almost identical in technology and setup...like the Kawi EX-500 against the Suzuki GS500F...the only Suzuki I've ever come close to owning.

About 5yrs ago I was looking for my first "modern" and "sporty" bike after growing up on old UJMs, and decided a tried-and-true sporting twin would be prudent, and also efficient and comfortable enough for my 100mile commute.

I didn't buy the Suzuki because it was much NICER and more EXPENSIVE. My wife and I could barely scrape together $2500, and only because the gas savings would pay it back in my first year at A&M. There were no Suzukis in that range at the time, but a slew of the Kawasakis.

Under the skin they're nearly the same bike, but the Zuk sure was the looker of the two...and I never got over the Kawi's "Pteradactyl attack" look. The Kawi proved to be beyond reliable, easy to work on, and loads of fun, but bet your bippy I wished it was the Suzuki every time I walked up to it.

My best friend also rides a DL650...which he beat the ever living crud out of and hardly maintained. It never let him down.

I do understand the mentality, and I think it is prevalent though. I've also heard it applied to Kawasakis. I still view the K company as one that invests in a stomping motor and then attaches a bike to it, although everything I've ridden recently shows the rest of the bike is just as much up to the task.

As far as Suzukis are concerned, they've well disproven any preconceptions I've had, I've just never had the joy of owning one. I have heard they make the better forks of the bunch though, and am looking for a set to graft to the CBX.

E.Marquez
09-13-2010, 06:00 AM
So...they really DO have no "street cred"? This seems bizarre to me, but then I've seen every possible prejudice, from Ford/Chevy, to Cessna/Piper. Sometimes these things take on a life of their own, for no apparent reason.

I haven't noticed anything inferior in fit and finish on my Suzuki, quite honestly. The paint on my GSX650F is nothing short of beautiful, if I do say so myself. Every person who sees the bike remarks on how great-looking it is...
It's just a local clique and what they have for a pack mentality. Ford vs Chey in heavy duty trucks etc etc.

Just a bit of personal preference bias with some embellishment on the side.
Enjoy your bike.
Of note..... calling the GSX650F "gixxer" will get you some looks from the GSXR 600, 750, 1000 group as that is the tag they most often use.

BlueStreak
09-13-2010, 08:22 AM
The thing that's so bad about this attitude is that -- if it gains traction among young people (like my son and his friends) -- it can decimate a brand. Just look at what happened to Pontiac, when young people got it in their heads that "Pontiacs suck".

Was a Pontiac really any different than a Chevy? Of course not. But the brand is now gone. Perception is reality, when it comes to sales and marketing.

The reasons for Pontiac's demise are far more complex than young people not liking Pontiac, which I'm not sure is true anyway.

Pontiac, in the US, consistently outsold Buick in the U.S. So why did Buick survive and Pontiac die? Largely for two reasons: Pontiac was having a difficult time differentiating itself from Chevy. As you say, not "really any different than a Chevy" (excepting the G8), but more expensive. That makes it a tough sell. Pontiac traded on a performance image in an era where most buyers see cars as appliances. The typical new car buyer isn't a young person; they mostly buy used cars. Middle aged buyers who wanted more luxury when to Buick, or Lexus or Acura. Middle aged buyers who wanted basic transportation when to Chevy, or Toyota or Honda.

So why did Buick survive if it's sales were even worse? One word: China. Buick is THE leading American brand in a country with a population of more than 1 Billion. Would you kill it?

Of note..... calling the GSX650F "gixxer" will get you some looks from the GSXR 600, 750, 1000 group as that is the tag they most often use.

True dat. The 650 would properly be called a "gixxef" if anything, as it lacks that all-important letter "R" at the end of the model name.

tshelfer
09-13-2010, 08:54 AM
It's a fact - our kids are heavily influenced by their peer groups, and subjective opinions become absolutes. Actually, we do the same thing. Isn't that why we oldsters get on forums like this and ask questions that really have no absolute answers?

Ride what works for you and be glad the industry, the government, and your wife allow you to have a choice.

Wolverine
09-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Was a Pontiac really any different than a Chevy? Of course not. But the brand is now gone. Perception is reality, when it comes to sales and marketing. Pontiac was way better than a Chevy. Much better interiors and ride than their Chevy brothers. With the exception of the Vett and Camero they had more performance too. The G 8 is awesome and my wifes G 6 GTP rips and still gets over 30mpg. Going on eighty thousand miles and only a wheel bearing has given us trouble. Like most things, wheel bearings are now made in China. Oh yea, we are talking bikes here. Since back in the day, I've always thought that Yammis were the best built with Honda and a Kaw a close second. In reality all are good bikes, in fact I'm looking for a DR650 right now. :rider:

jjhoneck
09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Tim is dead right. The quality and engineering of the big four Japanese builders is so good today that it really comes down to personal likes & dislikes - and possibly a few tenths of a second in the 0-to-60 game, if that's really important to you. I've turned away from Honda, but not due to quality. They just don't have a lot of modern bikes that fit my shopping list.

I'm glad I'm not the only person to have noticed that. I love my Goldwing, and naturally went straight to my Honda dealer when I was looking for a new ride, only to find nothing in my "mid-sized, not-cruiser-but-not-hunched-over-sport-bike-either" target bike. The closest thing they had was the 800 VFR, which I test rode and found to be...odd...in many ways.

If Honda made a bike like my GSX650F, they would have got the money, not because of anything against Suzuki, but because of brand loyalty to Honda.

kurt
09-13-2010, 10:53 AM
My only issue with the big four is they make almost nothing that appeals to me in any sane price range. I'm not interested in cruisers or supersports. My interests lie in either sport touring or adventure bikes. You cant get cruise or heated grips on most of the Japanese brands, or if you can, like with the Gold Wing, it is a ten-year old design that has doubled in price since its introduction. Let's get real, at $24,000 for a BASE Goldwing, that 2001 design is starting to look very stale.

Suzuki at least has variety. Kawasaki does pretty good too, but only Yamaha has really peaked my interest with the Super Tenere. Since I already own a GS, I'm not really interested.

jjhoneck
09-13-2010, 10:58 AM
My only issue with the big four is they make almost nothing that appeals to me in any sane price range. I'm not interested in cruisers or supersports. My interests lie in either sport touring or adventure bikes. You cant get cruise or heated grips on most of the Japanese brands, or if you can, like with the Gold Wing, it is a ten-year old design that has doubled in price since its introduction. Let's get real, at $24,000 for a BASE Goldwing, that 2001 design is starting to look very stale.

Suzuki at least has variety. Kawasaki does pretty good too, but only Yamaha has really peaked my interest with the Super Tenere. Since I already own a GS, I'm not really interested.

Have you seen BMW's new 6-cylinder "Goldwing Killer"? It looks impressive.

I'm sure it will come with a typically impressive price tag, too. :trust:

kurt
09-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Not yet, but the RT is more to my liking anyway.

TWTim
09-13-2010, 11:29 AM
My only issue with the big four is they make almost nothing that appeals to me...

I'm kind of at that point, myself. The new performance designs are uber-angular, CAD designed for aerodynamics, and as stripped down as is mechanically feasible. In other words, the new sportbikes bore me to death.

I need to ride something with soul; a bike that looks and feels like a proper motorcycle. That's why the Rex and the KZ are permanently in my stable. And even my ZX7R, though a fully fared, old-school superbike, still has beautiful lines.

I think truly good-looking muscle and sportbike designs pretty much ended in the late '90s with the introduction of the Hayabusa. It was all downhill from there.

Top Cat
09-13-2010, 12:58 PM
I owned several from the 4 Japanese makers and the only distinction I can make is the feel of the gearboxes. Honda is perfect very precise no slack or creep, Yamaha close to Honda and Suzuki and Kaw just a bit further from Honda. The quality of all 4 brands is not a factor in my decision because they are all excellent. Its what bike gives me the "tingles." Right now its Yamaha and Buell, but I am fickle, though not as much as Kurt.

jsb223
09-13-2010, 01:51 PM
I think the fit and finish are excellent on Suzukis.

:thumb:

gixxerjasen
09-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Gixxer....gixxer....hrm, where have I heard that particular term before? :mrgreen:

Having owned a slew of Suzuki's I can tell you there is nothing cheap about them. I've also owned a honda or two and a Yamaha or two. In the end no bike felt more cheap than any other. I chose my Yamaha FZ1 over the bandit because it suits my riding style more so than the bandit, not because I felt that Suzuki's were inferior to Yamaha. Your son's friends are idiots. :mrgreen:

aharbi
09-13-2010, 03:59 PM
The only place where Suzuki lacks is in support of their warranties. They aren't worth the paper they are printed on. It takes an act of god to file a claim let alone have them cover ANYTHING under warranty.

gixxerjasen
09-13-2010, 04:55 PM
True, with Suzuki warranty support, everything is blamed on wheelies.

Also, when talking quality, since this all stemmed from a seat discussion, if you judged bikes based on seats then Honda would have the worst quality out there. Try sitting on an RC51 or a CBR954 for any length of time. I don't think the folks of honda have ever heard of foam, gel or padding in general. Just plastic, plywood and vinyl.

Wolverine
09-13-2010, 05:22 PM
The only place where Suzuki lacks is in support of their warranties. They aren't worth the paper they are printed on. It takes an act of god to file a claim let alone have them cover ANYTHING under warranty.Kawi is kinda the same way. The older KLRs had the doo hicky problem and some of the newer KLRs have a wiring and oil consumption problem. Deny, deny and maybe they will go away.

AK Addict
09-15-2010, 01:30 PM
???

What is an example of a "dated-looking component"?
The steel frame on your bike. I just sold my 07 Bandit 1250 which is the same platform your bike is built on. The MSRP on an 07 Bandit 1250 with ABS was under $9K, selling prices were about 1K under that, Suzuki had to cut cost somewhere. Your bike and the Bandit line are great bikes and I regret selling mine from time to time but the suspension and brakes along with the frame are just some places Suzuki saved money. I still own a Suzuki (2009 Hayabusa) and think they are a great manufacturer but name one Suzuki non-cruiser with shaft drive. Where's their sport tourer? Concours, FJR, VFR where's Suzuki's? The closest they have is the GSX1250 thats not available in the US and it's chain drive. I love my Hayabusa and will probably never sell it but I'm looking to add another bike to the stable and I'm sorry to say it will not be a Suzuki. They just don't offer the features I'm looking for at any price. I don't think Suzuki is a cheap brand, cheap implies poor quality but I do think they are a bargain brand. Great bikes, great quality and alot for your money, just lacking on some of the features and options available with the other brands.

BlueStreak
09-15-2010, 05:16 PM
I owned several from the 4 Japanese makers and the only distinction I can make is the feel of the gearboxes. Honda is perfect very precise no slack or creep.

You've never ridden an ST1100 or ST1300, have you? :mrgreen:

. I love my Hayabusa and will probably never sell it but I'm looking to add another bike to the stable and I'm sorry to say it will not be a Suzuki. They just don't offer the features I'm looking for at any price. I don't think Suzuki is a cheap brand, cheap implies poor quality but I do think they are a bargain brand. Great bikes, great quality and alot for your money, just lacking on some of the features and options available with the other brands.

What brand doesn't lack some features and some classes of bikes? While it's true that Suzuki doesn't offer something like the Connie or VFR, it's just as true that Honda doesn't offer anything like the Bandit. Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha don't offer a 750cc supersport, like Suzuki does. No one but Honda offers a real luxury tourer (counting just the Japanese brands). Honda doesn't have anything to compete with the SV or V-Stroms.

Which brand supports you the best all depends on what you're looking for.

Sleepy Weasel
09-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Jay, don't you remember being 20 years old and unaware of how clueless you really were? Oh, maybe not, what with your advanced age.

:duck:

gixxerjasen
09-15-2010, 09:54 PM
You've never ridden an ST1100 or ST1300, have you? :mrgreen:Only problem I had with the ST1100 gearbox was mid corner when I forgot I wasn't on my gixxer and that the ST had the standard shifting that my gixxer didn't. :mrgreen:

What brand doesn't lack some features and some classes of bikes? While it's true that Suzuki doesn't offer something like the Connie or VFR, it's just as true that Honda doesn't offer anything like the Bandit. Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha don't offer a 750cc supersport, like Suzuki does. No one but Honda offers a real luxury tourer (counting just the Japanese brands). Honda doesn't have anything to compete with the SV or V-Stroms.

Which brand supports you the best all depends on what you're looking for.I typed and deleted several things earlier....this was where I was going in general. I was also going to point out that only one other manufacturer has had the danglies to put something up against the Hayabusa.

jjhoneck
09-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Jay, don't you remember being 20 years old and unaware of how clueless you really were? Oh, maybe not, what with your advanced age.

:duck:

I remember how my Dad kept getting smarter and smarter, after I reached age 21. It was just WEIRD. :eek2:

Wolverine
09-16-2010, 07:11 AM

:duck::rofl:How true! I'm still clueless.:rofl:.....and shopping for a Suzi.

AK Addict
09-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't think Suzuki is a cheap brand, cheap implies poor quality but I do think they are a bargain brand. Great bikes, great quality and alot for your money, just lacking on some of the features and options available with the other brands.
This was by no means meant to be an insult to Suzuki it was meant to explain why his son may feel Suzuki is a cheap brand. I have yet to meet a Bandit owner that didn't feel the Bandit is a bargain, where else can you get so much bike for a reasonable price? But in the mind of the twenty somethings I know if it's not the newest technology with the last cutting edge styling and at a good price it's cheap, not a bargain.

What brand doesn't lack some features and some classes of bikes?

Which brand supports you the best all depends on what you're looking for.

I have to agree with you here, unfortunately if your not in the market for a cruiser and are looking for shaft drive you need not look at Suzuki. If you want traction control on any style bike don't bother with Suzuki. It seems that just about every other manufactuer is coming out with something new except Suzuki. BMW with the S100RR and 6cyl. bikes coming soon. Yamaha a new adventure bike with loads of features going head to head with BMW and bringing the FZ8 to the US. Honda's VFR with a dual clutch transmission and the Fury. Kawasaki at least updated the Concours with traction control and a couple of other frills, all the loyal Suzuki riders have to look forward to is new colors and graphics.

BlueStreak
09-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Only problem I had with the ST1100 gearbox was mid corner when I forgot I wasn't on my gixxer and that the ST had the standard shifting that my gixxer didn't. :mrgreen:

The ST gearboxes work fine, but I sure wouldn't call them "perfect" or "precise." Nor does the phrase "slick shifting" come to mind. "Clunky," maybe, but not slick.

trainman
09-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Worst bike I ever owned was a 1970 Kawasaki 350 Big Horn. Now for the good ones, all the rest. Owning over 35 plus motorcycles and all from Japan, I can truly say not a bad one in the bunch. Since I ride mostly duel sport type bikes it's too bad that the Japanese don't offer more in the big bike class like BMW does, I might own one. One of the nicest was the Suzuki DL 650, probably the best buy out there for the money. Other like KLR's, DR's, DRZ's are just hard to beat and are pretty much indestructible if taken of.

John

AK Addict
09-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Since I ride mostly duel sport type bikes it's too bad that the Japanese don't offer more in the big bike class like BMW does, I might own one.
You ask and you shall receive. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/651/0/home.aspx

trainman
09-17-2010, 01:58 PM
I was aware of the Tenere, but where is it, Oh, it's in Europe, just like the African Twin and Translap. Just can't figure out why, these bikes are not here yet, just maybe the Japanese got all those V-Twins to sell here in the US and we ain't get'en touring DS's until inventories go down. As far as BMW's goes they are a cult bike like HD's, I don't think you will see BMW riders buying Tenere's, but you will see riders of Japanese bikes buying the Tenere in groves.

John

AK Addict
09-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I was aware of the Tenere, but where is it, Oh, it's in Europe, just like the African Twin and Translap. Just can't figure out why, these bikes are not here yet, just maybe the Japanese got all those V-Twins to sell here in the US and we ain't get'en touring DS's until inventories go down. As far as BMW's goes they are a cult bike like HD's, I don't think you will see BMW riders buying Tenere's, but you will see riders of Japanese bikes buying the Tenere in groves.

John

The link it to Yamaha USA it's coming here May 2011!!!!

owtcast
09-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Kawasaki at least updated the Concours with tration control and a couple of other frills, all the loyal Suzuki riders have to look forward to is new colors and graphics.
.... and more race titles.:lol2:

Seriously, to the OP.... You aren't riding an inferior product at all. Your son's quote makes me think he'd spend 3 times the cost of a simple mp3 player to have an "I" whatever. Just because it costs more.
And as far as one manufacturer making appealing bikes for *all the masses*. It's probably not going to happen in this economy. So we will continue to see certain market segments covered by one and not the others. Let's hope the industry doesn't repeat what they did with dual sport bikes in the past. There are holes all in that lineup.:doh: I'm still waiting on an aluminum framed, quality suspended, water cooled XR in about the 450 range. :rider:

ItchyBahns
09-18-2010, 10:24 AM
My last two bikes have been Honda's, and despite their excellent finish and build quality, both bikes - as with a lot of Honda's - have a common issue, and that is their electrics. Nothing ever happened with either bike, but it was always a concern. Years before that I had an 84 Goldwing, two stators later I sold it. I had a Concours that had to have the cams ground, which was a bucketfull of money to repair. Then there was my 78 Suzuki GS1000, which was pretty much trouble free except for a blown stator. My 73 Suzuki GT750 two-stroke triple, which WAS a money pit. Bottom line is that no manufacturer has an absolutely perfect trouble free model coming out of the factory. Over the years I think that Suzuki has come a long way in producing good quality motorcycles, and their track track record speaks for itself. If there is one common phrase I have heard that is associated with the Bandit it's "bullet proof". My touring buddy has about 40,000 kilometers on his Bandit and not one single complaint, except that it does go through a lot of tires. Perhaps the finish is not quite as good as Honda's, but if you know that your ride is not going to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere, and there are a lot of nowhere's in this world, then buy it and enjoy it.

jjhoneck
09-18-2010, 05:42 PM
My last two bikes have been Honda's, and despite their excellent finish and build quality, both bikes - as with a lot of Honda's - have a common issue, and that is their electrics. Nothing ever happened with either bike, but it was always a concern. Years before that I had an 84 Goldwing, two stators later I sold it. I had a Concours that had to have the cams ground, which was a bucketfull of money to repair. Then there was my 78 Suzuki GS1000, which was pretty much trouble free except for a blown stator. My 73 Suzuki GT750 two-stroke triple, which WAS a money pit. Bottom line is that no manufacturer has an absolutely perfect trouble free model coming out of the factory. Over the years I think that Suzuki has come a long way in producing good quality motorcycles, and their track track record speaks for itself. If there is one common phrase I have heard that is associated with the Bandit it's "bullet proof". My touring buddy has about 40,000 kilometers on his Bandit and not one single complaint, except that it does go through a lot of tires. Perhaps the finish is not quite as good as Honda's, but if you know that your ride is not going to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere, and there are a lot of nowhere's in this world, then buy it and enjoy it.

The stator problem with Goldwings was well-known, yet my 1986 model (purchased new in the crate, in 1988) still has the original one installed. Never a problem.

Re: The Suzuki "Bandit". I've never heard anyone in the States refer to my bike as a "Bandit" -- yet I've seen a few images on the internet (mostly from Europe) that call it by that moniker. Is the GSX650F a "Bandit" or not?

ItchyBahns
09-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Yes, Suzuki makes two different models of Bandit, the 1250, and the GSF650F.

AK Addict
09-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Is the GSX650F a "Bandit" or not?

Yes and no. Suzuki does not attach the Bandit name to your bike but it is a Bandit under the fairings. Just as a GSX1250 (not sold in USA) it a full fairing Bandit 1250 yours it basically a full fairing Bandit 650 (not sold in USA). Bandit=half fairing, naked / GSX=full fairing. Under the skin they are the almost the same.

Skeezix
09-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Granted I've not owned a Suzuki cycle, but I've looked at several when I was shopping for a new bike and researched them heavily. They aren't inferior; they just aren't as 'stately' as a Honda or Yamaha. Some of their entry level bikes (SV650) have completely horrid stock suspension, but other higher end models have great components. However, they are quickly being left in the dust in terms of new products. The V-Stroms are nice bikes, but are quickly being left behind by competing brands. The Suzuki 650cc liquid cooled v-twin (Wee-Strom, SV650, Gladius) is generally regarded as one of the best mid-sized engines on the planet when all factors are considered (fuel injection, gas mileage, power, low maintenance, parts availability, simple in construction, and easy to work on).

whitesands
09-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Interesting that he said that after your comment on the seat...The Honda RC51 I owned had the worse seat I've ever had the pleasure of sitting on, and from my experience, when it comes to Honda sport bikes seat comfort is not their forte'...However, it's no doubt that the Honda RC felt precision built...And as far as cheap brands go, I've often heard that comment regarding Kawasaki...

I've owned every Japanese brand except for Suzuki until I purchased my first Suzuki (Bandit 1250) over two years ago..It has been the most reliable bike I have ever owned...Even after 20,000 plus miles I haven't even found a loose bolt...

Now from what I've learned over the years, quality and fit and finish doesn't always equal the reliable function of those quality components....You can have a high level of quality and detailing yet a sub par design can result in unreliable function...My bandit doesn't have the level of quality or fit and finish of the RC51 I had which felt as if it were built out of a solid piece of aircraft quality billet, but as I previously mentioned the Suzuki has been the most trouble free bike I've ever owned...The tank on my RC would often implode when it got cold (very common problem to that particular Honda model because of a poor tank vent design) and it had the worse motorcycle seat I've ever sat on...However, it never failed to start yet it was not without gremlins.

Moekazi
09-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Suzuki is the one Japanese brand i've been avoiding. They do well on their racing oriented bikes, but everything else seems to pay the price. I think the bottom line is more apparent in their bikes than the others and it doesn't translate into value for the customer. Probably the least innovative Asian manufacturer.

RTL
09-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Suzuki is the one Japanese brand i've been avoiding. They do well on their racing oriented bikes, but everything else seems to pay the price. I think the bottom line is more apparent in their bikes than the others and it doesn't translate into value for the customer. Probably the least innovative Asian manufacturer.

I beg to differ!!! I think Suzuki has been as innovative as any other manufacturer over the last 25-30 years and has the accolades and achievements to prove it. Yes they have technically withdrawn, as has the economy as of late, but survival in these troubled times trumps innovation.

AK Addict
09-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Yes they have technically withdrawn, as has the economy as of late, but survival in these troubled times trumps innovation.
I hope your right but I fear they will permanently loss market share due to hiding in their shell. Look at Ford, the only US auto maker to not take gov money, they have been introducing new model after new model in this economy and while sales for autos is still bad they have been gaining market share and positioning themselves for when things start looking up. There is a thread over on Hayabusa.org about people wanting a Busa with ABS and how many would upgrade to a new model with new features but as long as Suzuki doesn't give riders a reason to buy new they won't. Why go out and spend 12-15 thousand dollars to buy what you already have or can buy used?

RTL
09-21-2010, 10:00 AM
It also may be Suzuki is suffering from a lack of technical and marketing focus on their motorcycle division, similar to Honda due to expanding car, marine and shrinking motorcycle sales changing the business models.

jjhoneck
09-21-2010, 10:08 AM
It also may be Suzuki is suffering from a lack of technical and marketing focus on their motorcycle division, similar to Honda due to expanding car, marine and shrinking motorcycle sales changing the business models.

Everything is changing (or has changed) in this economy. EVERYTHING.

The weakest companies failed immediately, back in 2008. 2009 forced even healthy companies to slash expenses in order to survive. Even then, many failed.

Today, only the toughest, strongest, and leanest are left standing.

Well, except for the ones "We, the People" bailed out with tax money. :roll:

jrflanne
09-29-2010, 05:45 AM
The texas mile is happening next month and I can assure you that 90% of the fast bikes will be busas. I don't have a Jap bike at the moment, but if i did, it yould be a Suzuki.

gospeed81
09-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Well, I hope they aren't, because I picked up my first Suzuki yesterday.

Added an SV650 to the stable...very fun little bike...just get on and go.

gixxerjasen
09-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Well, I hope they aren't, because I picked up my first Suzuki yesterday.

Added an SV650 to the stable...very fun little bike...just get on and go.Not to bust your bubble, but it's a cheap bike. However, out of the box for 98% of riders it does just about everything right. It'd be downright silly to add a bunch of electronic doodads and shaft drive to an SV650. First it'd kill that great price and second, they aren't really necessary. Have fun on your new toy, they are a blast.

mi1lertm
10-02-2010, 04:36 AM
Cheap no, affordable yes. My bike holdes it own with the new VFR 1200 and it pissed off my friend that his $15K bike will not out run mine ($7250 new). Now I have put some money into my ride but it still is much lower cost then the VFR. It does not bother me that others feel that they need to spend high dollars for there bikes. I enoy my B1250 :)

Mark

gunzip
10-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Suzuki definitely went into a shell to deal with the recession/depression ; they wanted to clear out previous year inventory and who could blame them. I read Yamaha was hurt bad during this downturn and there was talk of the ceo losing his job ; most everything they make is 'leisure' musical instruments,motorcycles,pwc etc.
Oh back to the thread, 20k on my '07 bandit and I have no complaints mechanically. I haven't had to touch it with a wrench. I am disappointed with the paint job my clear coat scratches way too easily

gunzip
10-02-2010, 10:15 AM
True, with Suzuki warranty support, everything is blamed on wheelies.

I've heard that but fortunately have not had to deal with warranty work. My dealer replaced a bungie hook they assumed vibrated loose and fell off [ i took it off and lost it]
Other manufacturers will try to wiggle out of warranty work too of course; especially if it is expensive to fix. Honda is swearing up and down that a quart of oil every 800 miles is acceptable normal consumption [ the new cbr1000]. Come on now!

gixxerjasen
10-02-2010, 10:49 AM
I've never really had to deal with warranty work specifically. I did however have one of the first GSX-R's to have the FI light come on for the secondary throttle valve issue. The problem is the error reset after you turned the bike off. Dealer told me I'd have to bring it in with the light on despite there being a service bulletin on the issue. It never hurt performance so I just dealt with it until it became the thief's problem.

wbrisett
10-08-2010, 04:15 AM
This...heck, some of the bikes are almost identical in technology and setup...like the Kawi EX-500 against the Suzuki GS500F...the only Suzuki I've ever come close to owning.

This is the reason I haven't owned a bike made in Japan since 1982. I want something a little different. Of course different can have it's own issues when it comes time to sell something.

One of my favorite bikes that I've owned (probably nostalgia) was a 1980 Suzuki GS450L. I loved that bike. Too bad so did the driver who turned right in front of me.

Wayne

Scorch
10-08-2010, 08:01 AM

Take that to the bank. All of the Japanese manufacturors are first rate. Suzuki & Kawasaki are smaller than Yamaha and Honda, but are known for their engineering and innovation. Never let conventional wisdom steer your awry.

gixxerjasen
10-08-2010, 08:24 AM

I finally got the gumption to go looking here. Coming from a longtime Suzuki rider and a person who's never been a fan of Kawasaki....I can say that I really wish Kawasaki would have hung onto Eric Bostrom and put him in the seat of a ZX10 instead of pulling out of racing. What that guy was doing on the old platform against the new bikes was simply amazing. He wasn't winning but sure was contending and if he'd been on equivalent hardware I think the boring races of Mat coming in first every time would have been a lot more interesting.

That said, you gotta hand it to Mat and Ben. Suzuki in the AMA really got their hands on some talented riders. After all, if it were all the hardware, then you'd see Suzuki listed a whole lot more times here:

WSBK

2009 | Ben Spies | Yamaha
2008 | Troy Bayliss | Ducati
2007 | James Toseland | Honda
2006 | Troy Bayliss | Ducati
2005 | Troy Corser | Suzuki
2004 | James Toseland | Ducati
2003 | Neil Hodgson | Ducati
2002 | Colin Edwards | Honda

I couldn't find a neat list like Tim had, but had to glean that from wikipedia, so it may not be 100% accurate but it sure shows that the Suzuki hardware may be good, but it certainly wasn't the reason for the dominance in the AMA.

mi1lertm
10-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Well Suzuki must have read this thread. The new 2011 bandit 1250SA comes stock with ABS and lowers but it is now $11500, really, yep. So, now we know that Suzuki is no longer a Cheap bike.

Mark

Moekazi
10-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Take that to the bank. All of the Japanese manufacturors are first rate. Suzuki & Kawasaki are smaller than Yamaha and Honda, but are known for their engineering and innovation. Never let conventional wisdom steer your awry.

The only wisdom i see in a list of wins is that they make good race bikes. Their bikes without the letters GSXR on them seem to be solely built to costs. Other manufacturers seem to more in tune to building bikes based on value.

gospeed81
10-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Not to bust your bubble, but it's a cheap bike. However, out of the box for 98% of riders it does just about everything right. It'd be downright silly to add a bunch of electronic doodads and shaft drive to an SV650. First it'd kill that great price and second, they aren't really necessary. Have fun on your new toy, they are a blast.

Oh no...I knew what I was getting into. I didn't expect much going from a top model in the Honda range to a bargain Zook.

I have been impressed with the "just right" feel of the little bike...just needs some suspension work. 636 shock on the way, and saving up for fork work.

Loyd
10-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Personal experience: Suzuki is a far easier brand to wrench. None of my honda's 'required' the wrench the way my suzuki's seemed to. :shrug:

jjhoneck
10-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Oh no...I knew what I was getting into. I didn't expect much going from a top model in the Honda range to a bargain Zook.

I have been impressed with the "just right" feel of the little bike...just needs some suspension work. 636 shock on the way, and saving up for fork work.

My opinion exactly. Every time I ride the 650F, I am amazed at how "right" it feels. Fast -- but not crazy fast. Quick handling, but not twitchy. Good gas mileage. Comfortable, easy to ride.

After years on Kawasaki's and Honda's, I think the Suzuki GSX650F is as close to the perfect mid-sized cycle as I've found.

BlueStreak
10-09-2010, 03:37 PM
The only wisdom i see in a list of wins is that they make good race bikes. Their bikes without the letters GSXR on them seem to be solely built to costs. Other manufacturers seem to more in tune to building bikes based on value.

Value is not a word I would use in the same sentence with Honda any more. Their prices have reached stratospheric levels. The ST1300 is thousands more than it's competition, and the VFR 1200 is absurdly over priced, especially if you want the factory luggage. The same can be said for many bikes in their line. Priced a DN-01?

zombierider
10-24-2010, 08:38 PM

I have no clue what you're talking about. I think all the gixxer's are always some of the best looking sportbikes.
I am 28 a few years older then your son but all the people I know think suzuki's are great bikes = to the other brands atleast.
Some prefer one brand over another but I think in general suzuki is considered a good brand.

kitfoxx
11-06-2010, 06:28 PM
I have owned 2 Suzukis, 1 Honda, 1 Kawasaki, and 2 Yamahas.

The two Suzukis I've owned have been by far my favorites.

poser
11-06-2010, 08:02 PM
My opinion exactly. Every time I ride the 650F, I am amazed at how "right" it feels. Fast -- but not crazy fast. Quick handling, but not twitchy. Good gas mileage. Comfortable, easy to ride.

After years on Kawasaki's and Honda's, I think the Suzuki GSX650F is as close to the perfect mid-sized cycle as I've found.

You'll get nothing but love from me when it comes to the SV650
but you're right, I think they're built for 150 lb short dudes.
I did the 636 shock in the rear and up front race tech springs and heavier fork oil. I did the work myself, it was surprisingly easy. And the result was a bike that felt like a new machine, it was great. I passed plenty of super sports and liter bikes of any brand at track days [level one and two]
At 6'2"/6'3" I was a little cramped on the SV

zombierider
11-06-2010, 11:43 PM
You'll get nothing but love from me when it comes to the SV650
but you're right, I think they're built for 150 lb short dudes.
I did the 636 shock in the rear and up front race tech springs and heavier fork oil. I did the work myself, it was surprisingly easy. And the result was a bike that felt like a new machine, it was great. I passed plenty of super sports and liter bikes of any brand at track days [level one and two]
At 6'2"/6'3" I was a little cramped on the SV

:rofl:+1 I agree. I am 6'2" as well my sv has the race tech springs and heavier fork oil as well (done by previous owner before I bought it). It handles great with that mod, next for me will be change the rear sprocket to a 47 tooth and then the rear shock. Being over 6' I've gotten used to bikes feeling cramped:lol2: It's still a great bike factor in the cost of a used one and you have an awesome bike. It was a blast in the hill country I can't wait to get it to a track day.

Ga-Bandit
11-10-2010, 05:33 PM
"Well, that's what you get for buying a Suzuki." :eek2:

perterra
11-14-2010, 11:20 AM
This is really meant as a rhetorical question; but street creds? How does what kind of bike a person rides denote their riding "credentials". I've never known a bike to be an accurate descriptor of riding skills or knowledge.

Creds in my opinion are earned by accomplishments of the rider, not by what kind of a bike the really cool guys ride or how much an individual can afford.

whitesands
11-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Sometimes one brand may have a very successful reliability record with most of their bikes and they might have one bike in their lineup that has a reliability problem...

If you go to the 1000rr.net (CBR1000) forum there are quite a few folks reporting excessive oil burning..Honda is telling them 1 quart per 1,000 miles is normal...Hmmm.

brown
12-06-2010, 08:16 PM
In the past, Suzuki was always cheaper than it's competitors.

You could step up one engine displacement size for the same cost as the competition.

Always a good bang for the buck.

jrflanne
12-07-2010, 02:34 AM
The Bandit is one of motorcycling's great bargins.

brown
12-07-2010, 07:58 AM

I love Suzuki.....but Mladin could have won on a Vespa.

brown
12-07-2010, 07:59 AM
The texas mile is happening next month and I can assure you that 90% of the fast bikes will be busas. I don't have a Jap bike at the moment, but if i did, it yould be a Suzuki.

Treat yourself to a 'Busa. It is an INSANE ride.:eek2:

LostinTexas
12-07-2010, 08:13 AM
I haven't read all the posts, BUT, why are you worried about what soemone thinks if the bike is enjoyable to you and is reliable? Suzuki has a good track record for speed and reliabilty. Ride your ride and when you pass him on the side of the road let him think you are gonna leave him there for a little bit. :rider:

FJRMike
12-16-2010, 08:45 AM
I've owned four Suzukis and they have ALL been good bikes.

I would buy another because they seem to build what I like to ride.

rch10007
12-17-2010, 01:38 PM
What's not to like?

jjhoneck
12-19-2010, 12:46 AM
I've owned four Suzukis and they have ALL been good bikes.

I would buy another because they seem to build what I like to ride.

I started this thread last summer. Since then, I've ridden the Suzuki nearly every day. I've addressed the only glaring weakness of the GSX650F -- the seat (with a Corbin) -- and now consider this cycle to be my perfect ride.

I've ridden for over 30 years, and this Suzuki is just a great motorcycle. The best money I've spent in a very long time!

Meanwhile, my son's Yamaha is pickled for another Iowa winter...heh heh heh...

EX500vic
12-29-2010, 07:20 PM
There are good bikes and crap bikes from every manufacturer, I have 3 Kawasaki's, 2 EX500's and a VN900 but I have been looking at the 650 Bandit and the Weestrom really hard lately. At the top of my list of wanted bikes is the 06 or older Concours. I have owned Yamaha's and Honda's in the past and loved them all. My only lemon was a CB900f which just didn't suit me but I'm sure everyone will find THAT bike if they ride enough. The EX 500 is at the moment my drug of choice, it is a light, reliable and fun to ride bike that will go anywhere and is very cheap to own and ride, at 55+ mpg and with a top speed of 120 it is plenty of bike for a person of 200 lbs or less.

Downs
12-30-2010, 09:41 AM
The GSXR has pretty much set the standard for superbike performance since I started riding when I turned 16 back in 01. Nearly every top sport bike award in the motorcycle rags has gone to the GSXR over the years.

Multisurface Rider
01-09-2011, 09:38 AM
[quote=
virtually all Japanese bikes are fantastically produced these days. Walk into any showroom, close your eyes and point, and you'll have picked an excellent motorbike. :thumb:[/quote]

+1000 and counting

Multisurface Rider
01-09-2011, 10:12 AM
I have seen this tread for a long time, just never read it until this morning. I am suprised that a few of the non Jap bike riders have not chimed in on how great there brakes are. I guess if they have read this tread they might be a little skerd.:rofl:

I will give them credit, but (I own my first BMW as of recent and love it) give me the jap over anything else and Let's Ride!

Not sure if I want a Super Tenere over the GS right now because I am digging the BMW. If I have to keep spending money and working time on it I might change my mind, but for now after I ride it I'm ok again. It's just different, not better by no means.

We do need the big four to give us more choices like other countries have. They have been getting bikes for years that is not offered here. Maybe the Super Tenere will make the others get on the stick.

one-night
02-02-2011, 08:32 PM
i started riding in the early 70's and what i saw regarding pricing was that Honda was higher priced than Yamaha, then Kawasaki, then Suzuki. so if you say "cheap" translates "less expensive" it was true then. i doubt that quality differed so much except for what some have mentioned in this post about fit and finish. the best bike? very much a matter of taste. enjoy and be safe.

Two650sOne1100
02-08-2011, 06:08 PM
If an uncomfortable stock seat makes a bike cheap, then every bike the aftermarket seat vendors serve is cheap. Flip comment made out of youngster know it all ignorance. They just don't have the depth and breadth of experience to really have a clue and their expertise is based on "Vroom Vroom watch me do a wheelie - ain't I cool!!"

gixxerjasen
02-08-2011, 09:39 PM
If an uncomfortable stock seat makes a bike cheap, then every bike the aftermarket seat vendors serve is cheap. Flip comment made out of youngster know it all ignorance. They just don't have the depth and breadth of experience to really have a clue and their expertise is based on "Vroom Vroom watch me do a wheelie - ain't I cool!!"If that makes a bike cheap, then Honda's are the cheapest of all.

Downs
02-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Sometimes one brand may have a very successful reliability record with most of their bikes and they might have one bike in their lineup that has a reliability problem...

If you go to the 1000rr.net (CBR1000) forum there are quite a few folks reporting excessive oil burning..Honda is telling them 1 quart per 1,000 miles is normal...Hmmm.

Suzuki was saying that during the first few years of 2nd generation Bandit production when a lot of those were burning oil. Fix was to replace the pistons with a set of first gen pistons.

The oil holes for the rings were drilled WAY to big and caused some serious problems on some bikes and others worked just fine. Was a roll of the dice. In I think the 3 rd year of production or late second year they switched back to the old part number for the 1st generation pistons.