• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for other BWM G650 X Country Owners

Reata

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
McDaniel
Hello

Looking for other riders of the same bike. Please post up!!

:rider:

I haven't seen any owners on here for sometime, I have a fellow rider in Muenster, Texas that rides an 09 X Country and we just got back from Colorado in August. I would try the BMW forums if you are just looking for info, but if you just want to ride with others, then this site will work just fine. Why not join the BMWDFW motorcycle club they meet every Saturday morning for breakfast at 7:45 in Bedford. It's $20.00 per year dues and you will get a 10% discount at local BMW dealers. http://bmwdfw.org/

John

This site also for 650's, The Chain Gang, http://f650.com/

Hello

Does an XChallenge count?

xch_tank1.jpg

+1 in Austin. Although I seem to enjoy the Husky more for the gnarly stuff.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 914945659_img_7100_edited-1.jpg
    914945659_img_7100_edited-1.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 310
Please understand I am not trying to be a Beemer snob. Just looking for some others to discuss solutions to various issues.

I don't think anyone here thinks you are a Beemer Snob, don't know where you would think that by the responses on this forum that I've read so far. If you are talking about the issuses with the 09 X Country like the battery problems and the not starting issues, I've heard plenty about that from my friends in Muenster, Texas and another in Weatherford, Texas who have these problems with their 09 X Countries. You have to realize that you want info on a bike that there just aren't that many out there, that's why I said in a previous thread to go to a site called "The Chain Gang", I have seen these issues discussed there where I think you could get some good info on your bike. This forum is more of a riders forum, yes we try to help other with problems and answer their questions, but like I said before there are not that many BMW 09 X Country riders on this forum and that's why you are not getting any responses.

John

John, thank you so much for sticking with me. Typing has real setbacks and creates misunderstandings. I didn't mean that anyone had inferred that I was being rude or snobby. I just need to talk to someone about the problems I have and what to do to solve them. A public forum isn't the greatest place, but then again maybe it is. My X Country is great except, my hands go numb after about an hour, and my rear end is in pain after the same period of time. Is this indicative of the single cylinder? When I ask the dealer they of course tell me I need the F800, need is a stretch I think,so I am looking for some unbiased advice or help. Thanks again, I love this forum. I was considering joining you guys at LePeep this morning but couldn't.

Last edited:
Hi,

The X-Country is a great bike! I have an X-Country and an X-Challenge, and even though they have the same engines and other similarities they sure do act like different bikes. Unfortunately, you don't see many on the road. What kind of problems are you having with yours?

Robert

Hello

Sleeping hands and rear end after 30 mintues of riding (street). The dealer tells me I need a 2 cylinder bike, which makes sense as there would be reduced vibration from a twin, but heck I just bought this thing (Oct 2009, new). I only have 1600 miles on it. I dont ride it every single day at all, but when I do - 30 minutes is the maximum. I rest a while, walk around, get back on for another 30 minutes. No big deal to me, but if I ever found anyone to ride with, or went on a longer trip it could be really troublesome to whomever is with me.

I guess it has really become an issue as I am planning to go to BBNP in October. Trailering the bikes, camping out but riding all day. I have the Airhawk seat pad on it's way here now. Ordered it last week, so I think the rear end problem will be fine. But my hands, I dont know how to cure. Ordered Qwi gloves, not using the death grip, resting fingers on levers, etc. I know the bike is a thumper, but I never had this problem as a kid when I was riding a lot. Took a 30 year break and now this. It is just really frustrating and I rue the thought of flushing $$$ down the drain and getting a new/different bike. The X-Country hasn't been a big seller and dealers are selling them (new) at less than what I would need to get into the F650 (twin). I paid $7500 for mine last October, owe $4600. If I could get $6,000 out of mine, I might seriously consider the upgrade. Of Course, ideally, the F800 would be my choice - but then I get in to even more $$$ more than doubling my current monthly payment. So you see why I am searching for alternative solutions? Sorry for the rant, love the bike, hate the physiological struggles. Heck, I am not even sure that a different bike/motor would make any difference; and again this is why I am seeking answers from anyone and everyone. Anytime I see a rider who is my senior (46 years +) I quiz them about my problems. They all point to the "Thumper".

Last edited:
If you want to contact me I will give you the number of a rider who I just rode with in Colorado on his 09 X Country and he can talk to you about your bike. You can also send me your phone number and I will give it to you. I would say not to spent a lot of $'s before you know what the results will be, they may not help.

John

I have an 07 X-Moto and have had alot of the same experiences.

Would love to find the cure for the lack of "No Choke" and "**** Starts".

One thing I did that made a real difference was get rid of the HARD RUBBER BMW grips and put a set of soft rubber dirt bike grips. I alo ride with gloves and not your typical MC gloves.... latex / neoprene/ just something that i do not feel like I have to squeeze the grip to maintain control.
BMW has a real funky throttle tube, but work it slow and easy and you can get them on (PS---- no adhesive required).

Next thing for me might be pack the bars with something like rope / shot / weights/ or if you are not scared to try something just on my readings...... there is a product called "The Bar Snake"........ might just be better than sliced bread.

As far as the seat....... I get off and stretch every hour anyway so I just deal with it, but I have put some miles on mine and it has gotten better.

Good Luck.

The lip on the XCountry's seat keeps you from being able to move around much, and I bet that the Airhawk will help. Unfortunately, I don't know what to do about your numb hands. When I ride mine on the road for a few hours my right wrist gets tired, so I'm now using a wrist/throttle-wrest when I know I'll be riding on pavement for awhile. Thumpers definitely vibrate more than a multi-cylinder bikes, but I think that the XCountry is pretty smooth, and I agree with your concern that a different bike might not solve your problem. Have you tried adjusting the handlebars forward or backwards to see if this makes any difference?

Have you seen Touratech's bar risers?
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2079/PN-049-0110/Handlebar-risers-G650X-15mm-Ch-M-C

moving around
I guess it has really become an issue as I am planning to go to BBNP in October. Trailering the bikes, camping out but riding all day. I have the Airhawk seat pad on it's way here now. Ordered it last week, so I think the rear end problem will be fine. But my hands, I dont know how to cure. Ordered Qwi gloves, not using the death grip, resting fingers on levers, etc. I know the bike is a thumper, but I never had this problem as a kid when I was riding a lot. Took a 30 year break and now this. It is just really frustrating and I rue the thought of flushing $$$ down the drain and getting a new/different bike. The X-Country hasn't been a big seller and dealers are selling them (new) at less than what I would need to get into the F650 (twin). I paid $7500 for mine last October, owe $4600. If I could get $6,000 out of mine, I might seriously consider the upgrade. Of Course, ideally, the F800 would be my choice - but then I get in to even more $$$ more than doubling my current monthly payment. So you see why I am searching for alternative solutions? Sorry for the rant, love the bike, hate the physiological struggles. Heck, I am not even sure that a different bike/motor would make any difference; and again this is why I am seeking answers from anyone and everyone. Anytime I see a rider who is my senior (46 years +) I quiz them about my problems. They all point to the "Thumper".

Gser, I moved them some forward seemed to make it worse today. I am going to move them back tonight and see if that will help tomorrow. I am willling to try it all, just hate to invest too many $$$ into a bike I may get rid of.

The lip on the XCountry's seat keeps you from being able to move around much, and I bet that the Airhawk will help. Unfortunately, I don't know what to do about your numb hands. When I ride mine on the road for a few hours my right wrist gets tired, so I'm now using a wrist/throttle-wrest when I know I'll be riding on pavement for awhile. Thumpers definitely vibrate more than a multi-cylinder bikes, but I think that the XCountry is pretty smooth, and I agree with your concern that a different bike might not solve your problem. Have you tried adjusting the handlebars forward or backwards to see if this makes any difference?

Have you seen Touratech's bar risers?
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2079/PN-049-0110/Handlebar-risers-G650X-15mm-Ch-M-C

moving around

Would love to find the cure for the lack of "No Choke" and "**** Starts".

Whats are your starting symptoms? I haven't had any problems, even when I let it sit for a month while I ride my other bike.

As far as the seat....... I get off and stretch every hour anyway so I just deal with it, but I have put some miles on mine and it has gotten better.
Good Luck.

I wear padded bicycle shorts for any ride over 1 hour. If I'm riding all day I add an Alaskan sheepskin, you can kinda see it in this pic:
IMG_1483.jpg

-ZigZag

Whats are your starting symptoms? I haven't had any problems, even when I let it sit for a month while I ride my other bike.​

I've never had a problem letting it sit for awhile.
Matter of fact, it sat for several months recently.

Here is a description of what happens...... Timeframe can be from week to week, one day to the next or even just several hours between (cooling completely).
I turn the key on for about 20 - 30 seconds.
Hit the switch and it will start in just a couple of revolutions.
About 90% of the time, it will die within about 20 seconds of starting if I don't throttle it.
Alternating light to medium throttling will keep it alive about 90% of the time.
Personally (and I may be wrong) I do not like to do this since I am thinking this engine is externally oiled.
Sometimes when it dies, it sounds like there is a compression relief that at the last fraction of the second its dying it closes (as the piston is in compression).
This seems to bring the engine to an abrupt stop. There is sometimes a screech (lack of better words) at that time.

Starting process and getting it to idle on its own sometimes takes a minute to a couple of minutes depending on ambient air temp.

Starting while still warm isn't an issue.

I wear padded bicycle shorts for any ride over 1 hour. If I'm riding all day I add an Alaskan sheepskin, you can kinda see it in this pic:​

I can deal with the seat. Either it has gotten used to my butt or my butt has gotten used to it. I have been on it for 6 hours straight only stopping for fuel when needed.

I also forgot to mention that the PO had 2" risers and a Cee Baily Windscreen installed.
I left the risers on but removed the windscreen because of the buffetting. I saw MotoRod has a screen on his but not sure if any others do.
One other thing I did which may have helped with the buffetting is I took off the stock mirrrors and installed a small clip (chepo plastic miror) under the left side of the bars as a test to see how this would work for me. I like it there but it vibrates to much. I am looking for some better low rise mirrors that will permanantly mount there. To do this, I already took the brackets that the mirrors screw into and turned them 180 degrees pointing down. When I do find some mirrors I want I will probably install some anti- vibration post or something at the same time.

Has anyone done any changes to their gearing?
What wwere you at and what did you go to?
Manufacture / supplier?

Impressions / regrets / thoughts in general?

To the OP:

I don't have an X Country but just purchased an '01 F650GS....my first single. After putting just few miles on it I thought "oh boy, did I make a mistake??" because my rearend would hurt after less than 45min on surface street traffic and my hands too would start going numb.

Now I've put 1,500 miles on it in the past couple of months and things have gotten better. For one I learned by posture was horrible. I came from a cruiser and the GS is a much more upright seating position. I've learned to sit with better posture, trying to keep my back straighter.

As for the grips, I went with a soft rubber compound grip I found at Cycle Gear for $10. It has a little larger diameter and has reduced my numbness a lot. I think my biggest problem with the hands is the small windscreen. On the highway I definitely have a death grip to keep from being blown off the bike. Hence, I've taken to riding more backroads on the way to and from work.

Dunno if that'll help any but it's advice coming from one slightly your senior (48) with his first 'thump'. :rider:

BexarWolf,

Thanks so much for the advice on the handgrips and the posture issue. I have taken some off these actions as well. I still have yet to get the new grips, but, quite frankly every time I drop another $100 bucks on this bike I think to myself "there goes another $100 that could be applied to another bike....I guess I need to just run all of these items down, get them fixed or applied, and see if I can get these problems eliminated. I really like the bike and enjoy riding it (except for the pain in my rear and in my hands. I mentioned to TrainMan that I was going to try and amke breakfast next Saturday to meet everyone. Hope to see you soon.

Lone Star BMW had (I think) an X-Country on the lot when I was looking at my F650GS and I knew from just looking at it that it was WAY more bike than I wanted, needed or could handle. I had sat on a KLR650 and the X-Country seemed even taller than it. :eek2:

I knew most of my time was going to be commuting to and from work so I wanted something that was more street-tame with a bit of dirt-ability thrown in for those times when I needed to go to the median to avoid situations. I'm very pleased with mine.

If I were in your situation, I'd throw a few more dollars at it to see if you can make it work for you and evaluate your options from there.

I'll be at the pie run in Hutto this weekend. If you make it, look for the yaller GS. If my insurance is paid up, I might leave the key in it. :rider::lol2:

I wish I could make the pie run, but 30 min rides with 10 min recovery periods would eat my lunch and would turn into an all day affair. Good news is my Airhawk seat cover should be here next week.

I have a 2007 xchallenge and I love that bike !!!!
I m thinking to add a sheepskin seat for long rides !!!

Back