• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I MUST be a professional....

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
.....based on the number of requests for copies of the shots I captured this evening. :rofl:

I was probably asked half a dozen times this evening down on 6th Street if I was a professional photographer, where my pictures would be uploaded, did I have a Facebook account, was I with the newspaper, and how can they get a print tonight. I surmise a lot had to do with alcohol and youth, but I have to admit the evening was kind of entertaining in that respect.

So, how many of you get the "Are you a professional"? question simply because you have a big honkin' lens stuck on the front of that evil looking black DSLR?

And what do you tell them? I just stuck with the standard line of "No, not professional, just a hobby" which seems to work well.

I think the distinction of professional with regards to photography is it's your primary source of income or you get paid. Obviously this requires skill, equipment, desire, luck, networking and all the other qualities of any professional in any career. The fact someone (potential customer) believes you are a professional and asks is a better sign than if you believe you are....similar to most careers.

I've been asked based on some of my work, which is a very small percentage of photo's snapped. Never had the desire to sell or make money, but rather enjoy capturing stuff in photos to savor later, so just a non-professional as well. I do put up my photos on the walls of my office and home when appropriate and set up galleries for family and friend on event, just never require payment for services.

I also enjoy getting photos printed on different paper from different companies as well. My favorite is Adorama when they have sales as they ship from NYC to anywhere, photos arrive pristine and their work is professional second to none.

My comments are all tongue-in-cheek. :mrgreen:

I'm no more a professional photographer than I am an astronaut or brain surgeon. I really got a chuckle out of what people's perceptions are when someone sticks a big lens on a black body in front of them in public!

Professional... maybe not yet... Do I hear a new career calling??? :trust:

I know your comments were tongue in cheek, but I've seen a lot of crappy stuff from people that make their living at it full-time. The ones that amaze me are the good wedding photogs. It's all in the moment, never to be re-lived.

98% perspiration, 2% inspiration as the saying goes. Like a good rider, it's what's behind the viewfinder or handlebars that counts, IMHO.

So, how many of you get the "Are you a professional"? question simply because you have a big honkin' lens stuck on the front of that evil looking black DSLR?

And what do you tell them? I just stuck with the standard line of "No, not professional, just a hobby" which seems to work well.

None....apparently I am not as "approachable" as you are. :lol2:

Last edited by a moderator:
When a friend of mine's husband died she asked me to video the funeral. I decided to rent a high end video camera and tripod for the occasion since I don't have a good camcorder.

The funeral director asked for my card. When I told him I was just doing a friend a favor he told me that they often get asked to video funerals and didn't know many videographers who do that kind of work.

The other time this happened to me was when I showed up at a friend's wedding with my Nikon D50. The bride grabbed me as soon as I arrived and told me that the photographer had canceled at the last minute, and I was now the official wedding photographer :eek2: !

Talk about pressure! The bride walks down the aisle exactly once, and you'd better get the shot or they'll be cursing your name forty years from now!

Last edited:
.....based on the number of requests for copies of the shots I captured this evening. :rofl:

I was probably asked half a dozen times this evening down on 6th Street if I was a professional photographer, where my pictures would be uploaded, did I have a Facebook account, was I with the newspaper, and how can they get a print tonight. I surmise a lot had to do with alcohol and youth, but I have to admit the evening was kind of entertaining in that respect.

I dabbled in pro photography. After a few newspaper prints and a couple of weddings. I found it to be no fun at all and terrible pay with odd hours that were not of my control. Keep it fun and snap a nice picture when the opportunity knocks. I still have all the light meters, big cameras, umbrellas and all the associated junk that I poured money down.

That can be avoided by giving them Scott's business card :rofl:

That would be ST_Scott's card, not mine. :rofl:

I've done three what I'd call 'informal' wedding shoots - and each time I say I'll never do one again. :doh:

Last week on a Colorado trail, took a minute to show somebody how to use the big 'S' setting (shutter-preferred) on his camera so he could get blurry water. The Question.

Also helped somebody understand - oh yeah - that a big honkin' strobe doesn't illuminate the Rockies, but stopping down might help a bit. The Question.

Conclusion - Nowadays, if you know ANYTHING beyond point and shoot, you must be a pro. Or then again, you might just be so old (like me) that manual cameras were the only game in town when you started shooting.

Back